OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 08:43:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harry Potter, Christian Hallows, and C.S. Lewis: A Q&A with Greg Garrett  (Read 892 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 06, 2010, 06:49:23 PM »

Interview with Greg Garrett, author of One Fine Potion: The Literary Magic of Harry Potter:

FS: Near the end of the book you talk about organized religion and write, "Like [J. K.] Rowling, George MacDonald, C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R. Tolkien all wrote fantasy epics in which the church seems absent as an institution, yet in each of their greatest stories, the Christian story lies submerged just below the surface and sometimes breaking though into the light." Where do you see that theme breaking through?

Garrett: The most obvious place it actually breaks through is in The Deathly Hallows, when Harry discovers Bible verses inscribed on the tombstones of Dumbledore's sister Ariana [Matthew 6:21] and Harry's murdered parents [1st Corinthians 15:26]. Rowling told the media that these two verses represented the thematic core of the entire series, and the British newspaper The Telegraph ran a headline about how Rowling's Christianity had shaped the novels. But she'd been telling interviewers for years that although she was a person of faith, she didn't want to say too much about her beliefs, for fear that people would figure out what direction her story was moving. Now that the series is complete, we know that the shape of the finished Potter narrative is the shape of the Christian story: A prophesied savior willingly lays down his life in order to defeat the power of death, fear, and hopelessness, and usher in a beautiful new world. The qualities of love, community, sacrifice, compassion, and courage that Rowling celebrates in the novels seem to me to be the qualities Christians most need to live an authentic and faithful life, so even though no one in the books preaches, the books preach.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:56:56 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:11:59 PM »

I do like the Christian imagery in those books, its a shame that some Christians, Orthodox and Heterodox are so opposed to them simply for them using the tool of magic to convey a story. There are much larger themes at hand in these books.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 06:44:26 PM »

I agree. I think most of those critics who accuse Harry Potter of occultism have not read the books, or at least not read them deeply enough to understand the Christian underpinnings. However, Rowling's approach is sound because there is less temptation to confuse pretend magic with real religion or to try to mix real magic with real religion, both of which can lead to spiritually disastrous results. This is the reason why Dimitry Yemets, the author of the Tanya Grotter series, does not overtly mention religion in his books, although he is a believer.
Fone Bone 2001

Faith: (Roman) Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Latin Church

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:34:01 PM »

Well said, everyone.

Incidentally, a great book about the Christian imagery, structure, and themes in Harry Potter is How Harry Cast His Spell. Its author, John Granger, is himself an Orthodox Christian like y'all!  Smiley

Also, hi. I'm new here.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »

Welcome!

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Fone Bone 2001

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 07:50:39 PM »

Thank you, Mor Ephrem!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 09:25:42 AM »

Well said, everyone.

Incidentally, a great book about the Christian imagery, structure, and themes in Harry Potter is How Harry Cast His Spell. Its author, John Granger, is himself an Orthodox Christian like y'all!  Smiley

Also, hi. I'm new here.

Welcome!

I like your user name.  I like the Fone Bone comics. Smiley

Fone Bone 2001

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 06:44:10 PM »

Well said, everyone.

Also, hi. I'm new here.

Welcome!

I like your user name.  I like the Fone Bone comics. Smiley

Oh, cool! You recognize what my name is from! :-)

Yeah, I love that graphic novel.
MLPB

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 10:10:57 AM »

I like Garrett's summary.  I would also point out that Harry returns from apparent death at King's Cross to defeat the evil enemy.  Not very subtle imagery there.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: