OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:05:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Effects of Re-Baptism  (Read 624 times) Average Rating: 0
Carefree T

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 06, 2010, 01:05:11 AM »

Officially becoming a catechumen in the Orthodox Church, it has been made clear to me that I will be baptized (my new name being Thomas), as opposed to simply being chrismated. My question is, what will this mean, in a spiritual or theological sense? I stress a great deal about my life of the past 7 years, during which I committed a great multitude of sins, proudly and willingly. Those sins can't be reversed or justified. They weigh on my mind constantly. I do understand that the Lord Our God is all-merciful, all-just and long-suffering, but what does a new baptism mean to me exactly? Would it be the washing of those sins as well? Or should I accept those sins in rightful guilt, being thankful only that that life led me back to God, back to Our Lord Jesus Christ? I am indeed thankful that I was led to the Church from that life, that the guilt of those sins serves a purpose and that I wouldn't be here in Holy Orthodoxy without them, but what does a new baptism mean for me? I am theologically ignorant on that topic.

Thank you much for your answers! Christ is risen!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 01:36:32 AM »

Officially becoming a catechumen in the Orthodox Church, it has been made clear to me that I will be baptized (my new name being Thomas), as opposed to simply being chrismated. My question is, what will this mean, in a spiritual or theological sense? I stress a great deal about my life of the past 7 years, during which I committed a great multitude of sins, proudly and willingly. Those sins can't be reversed or justified. They weigh on my mind constantly. I do understand that the Lord Our God is all-merciful, all-just and long-suffering, but what does a new baptism mean to me exactly? Would it be the washing of those sins as well? Or should I accept those sins in rightful guilt, being thankful only that that life led me back to God, back to Our Lord Jesus Christ? I am indeed thankful that I was led to the Church from that life, that the guilt of those sins serves a purpose and that I wouldn't be here in Holy Orthodoxy without them, but what does a new baptism mean for me? I am theologically ignorant on that topic.

It wouldn't have mattered if you were chrismated: the results would be the same as you receive absolution in lieu of baptism before being Chrismated. Yes, baptism leads to blessed mourning as you describe, for the remission of sins, to place a new law at work in your members. Chrismation and confession are there to keep you on that path.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:29:52 AM »

If you don't mind I'm curios what your former Christian affiliation was. And were you Baptized as an infant or Adult in your former Church?

Isa is exactly right. Look at the full cycle of practice. You are Baptized and Chrismated and then regularly , God willing , you confess and receive communion. It is a never ending practice of repentance, forgiveness and glorious  renewal. Taken all together it can thoroughly transform you,
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:30:37 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Orthophoria

Faith: Orthodox - Newly Illumined

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:09:12 AM »

Carefree,

Like you, I am coming to Orthodoxy after a lifetime of sinning, and like you, all that sin is weighing on my mind.  Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be worthy enough to ever approach the chalice after what I have done in my life (but I am certainly hoping and trusting in the Lord's forgiveness and his power to transform my life).  My parish priest commented in our catechumen class, that although we will be baptized, and our old sins and old self will be washed away, we will still need to make a "life confession" during the reception process.  I am trusting that making this confession will lighten the burden of sin that is on my mind, and give me a fresh start.  Has your priest mentioned this life confession to you?  I don't know what the "normal" process is, and whether the life confession is practiced by all jurisdictions, but if your previous life is weighing on you greatly, you might want to mention this to him.

In Christ,
Marcus
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 12:04:13 AM »

Carefree,

Like you, I am coming to Orthodoxy after a lifetime of sinning, and like you, all that sin is weighing on my mind.  Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be worthy enough to ever approach the chalice after what I have done in my life (but I am certainly hoping and trusting in the Lord's forgiveness and his power to transform my life).  My parish priest commented in our catechumen class, that although we will be baptized, and our old sins and old self will be washed away, we will still need to make a "life confession" during the reception process.  I am trusting that making this confession will lighten the burden of sin that is on my mind, and give me a fresh start.  Has your priest mentioned this life confession to you?  I don't know what the "normal" process is, and whether the life confession is practiced by all jurisdictions, but if your previous life is weighing on you greatly, you might want to mention this to him.

In Christ,
Marcus

My priest asked for me to do a life confession, even though all of my sins would be forgiven in Holy Baptism. It was more for him to understand what he would be working with. Tongue

Also for the OP, the way my priest explained it to me, it is NOT a "re-baptism"; such a thing does not exist. Rather, it is your baptism into Christ's Church. St. Paul says that there is "One Lord, One Faith and one Baptism." If it was a different faith (i.e., not being the True Faith), then it was a different baptism. I hope that helps. Smiley May God guide you!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Carefree T

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 01:59:23 AM »

If you don't mind I'm curios what your former Christian affiliation was. And were you Baptized as an infant or Adult in your former Church?

Isa is exactly right. Look at the full cycle of practice. You are Baptized and Chrismated and then regularly , God willing , you confess and receive communion. It is a never ending practice of repentance, forgiveness and glorious  renewal. Taken all together it can thoroughly transform you,
I was Roman Catholic. "Family tradition" of sorts. So I was baptized as an infant.

And thank you for that explanation; very thick with meaning, you and Isa's posts.

@Orthophoria
No, my priest hasn't mentioned a life confession yet; but honestly, I just never brought this up, so I think I'll take your implied advice and ask him.

@Shlomlokh
Thanks for the "theological" type approach; that's pretty easy to understand.

Thanks all for the replies!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 10:27:20 AM »

I was Roman Catholic. "Family tradition" of sorts. So I was baptized as an infant.

And thank you for that explanation; very thick with meaning, you and Isa's posts.

@Orthophoria
No, my priest hasn't mentioned a life confession yet; but honestly, I just never brought this up, so I think I'll take your implied advice and ask him.

@Shlomlokh

If I understand correctly,  your Orthodox Jurisdiction is the OCA.  In the OCA you will not be given a Baptism but rather a Chrismation alone.
The OCA recognizes Roman Catholic Baptisms. You must however declare your faith aloud, reject any former heresy that you were attached to, receive a short exorcism, renounce "The Devil and all his works"..thrice and be officially taken into the Church. There you will be Chrismated which will complete your Baptism by grafting you onto The Church, Christs Body.  Then, if this is done on a Sunday, you will be offered communion. At the fellowship hour afterward, you will be hugged and kissed a lot.

Life confession is important. Sometimes it is done in one session and other times the Priest will want you to go to confession for a few weeks in a row to get you into the habit.

Please keep us up to date !

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Carefree T

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 03:16:49 AM »

@Orthophoria

@Shlomlokh

If I understand correctly,  your Orthodox Jurisdiction is the OCA.  In the OCA you will not be given a Baptism but rather a Chrismation alone.
The OCA recognizes Roman Catholic Baptisms. You must however declare your faith aloud, reject any former heresy that you were attached to, receive a short exorcism, renounce "The Devil and all his works"..thrice and be officially taken into the Church. There you will be Chrismated which will complete your Baptism by grafting you onto The Church, Christs Body.  Then, if this is done on a Sunday, you will be offered communion. At the fellowship hour afterward, you will be hugged and kissed a lot.

Life confession is important. Sometimes it is done in one session and other times the Priest will want you to go to confession for a few weeks in a row to get you into the habit.

Please keep us up to date !
Hmm, alrighty. My church is indeed OCA, but my priest, my "godfather" and a couple of other parishioners made "...when you get baptized..." types of statements when talking about my catechumen status and/or my patron saint name, so I had made the assumption that I will be baptized.

The "process" you described sounds a bit frightful; I hate doing things in front of people, hehe.
Tags: baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: