OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 11:59:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E-Book Readers  (Read 649 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: October 05, 2010, 03:08:49 AM »

I'm curious as to what people think of the e-book readers Nook (Barnes and Noble) and Kindle (Amazon.com)? If you are familiar with both, which do you like better? Which has more ebooks available to it (specifically, older, out-of-print books, and books from smaller publishers)?

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 03:24:29 AM »

I've been doing a little searching around, and had a question. I'm having trouble locating books that you'd expect to find an e-book for. For instance, on Barnes and Noble I tried looking up an ebook version of The Orthodox Church by Met. Kallistos, using several different searches, and came up with nothing. Is any particular ebook better at getting philosophical or theological texts? Is either Nook or Kindle better at supporting those who look for these types of books?

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 11:01:07 AM »

I have had the very first Kindle since it came out. It's great when we travel - no need for a separate suitcase for all my books! Smiley

Downsides:  not all books are availablefor it (as you noticed; you can't (well - shouldn't! Wink ) read it in the bathtub; and since there's no physical book, you can't lend or re-sell your ebooks.

Haven't yet tried the Nook but I assume it has all the same problems.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »

I have the Nook,from Barnes & Nobel,and I love it.  There are a few books you can lend, but not many.  So far not many Orthodox books, tho I have the book from New Skete on Happiness as well as both books by Frederica Mathewes-Green.  One good thing is that I can download some PDF files to the Nook.  So I should be able to add services, which means I don't have to carry lots of books when I travel.  In time I think more books will be made available.  Its a shame all these systems don't communicate with eachother.  Its like dealing with PCs and the Mac.  If you don't have the Nook, you can go to their site and download the necessary stuff to be able to read these type of books on your computer or cell phone.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:33:24 AM »

In general, I think e-readers are good. I had a Sony Reader for over a year, until it went on the fritz and I got a Kobo to replace it. The new one has a removable memory card, a quilted back and more easily legible text sizes.

If you go to Google Books and do a search for "Orthodox," and check "full" for the book capacity, you may see some interesting results. There are a number of older books about the Orthodox Church, from the Isabel Hopgood service book, to one or two by Sebastian Dabovich, to some Coptic books by Tadrous Malaty; they will usually be in epub or pdf, for free download, and a few can't be downloaded but can at least be bookmarked. You may know about this already, or not, I just thought I'd mention it, because it's a nice resource to have, especially if you like e-readers.

Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »

I think one area where eBooks, if not the Internet as a whole, makes a real difference is in reference materials, such as dictionaries and encyclopedias.  Why lug around hundreds of pounds worth of Encyclopedia Brittanicas when you can get the same info at the click of a button?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 04:53:05 PM »

I agree. The Sony Reader store sells some editions of the sermons of St. John Chrysostom. (I saved the book files, even though I got a new machine.) I think other e-stores will have them too. A joy to read for any reason, certainly, but all the more when I looked down at the bottom of the screen and saw the page number listing at 1100+. Yes, well more than a thousand pages. And it didn't cost that much for the file, either. To even find things like that in the past, I guess I would have either had to find a good religious bookstore, or a good university library... but I think it's great that it's now available to the larger public. While these are not the kinds of things we can bring to church, they really will improve the quality of my reading at home.   Smiley Smiley

(edited for clarity)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:54:15 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 09:15:43 PM »

I think one area where eBooks, if not the Internet as a whole, makes a real difference is in reference materials, such as dictionaries and encyclopedias.  Why lug around hundreds of pounds worth of Encyclopedia Brittanicas when you can get the same info at the click of a button?
If they get the collected works of the Fathers, and perhaps the collected works of St. Thomas Aquinas on there, then I will all about buying an e-reader.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

May my Dad's Memory be Eternal.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »

I buy the Kindle books for my droid, and have found quite a bit of free Orthodox Literature.  My husband is planning to buy me a Kindle for Christmas - I haven't looked at the Barnes and Knoble one.  My husband held the new Kindle the other day and absolutely fell in love with it. 

I really love that I can highlight and make notes.  I sometimes read my Bible on it (the OS Bible is available for a little less than 30 bucks) when I'm on the go, and I'm building quite the collection of other books.

With this said, I'm a hardcover book fan, but an ebook is much easier to handle when I'm trying to lie down to read.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 09:27:46 PM »

With this said, I'm a hardcover book fan, but an ebook is much easier to handle when I'm trying to lie down to read.
Some books you just have to be able to hold in your hand. Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

May my Dad's Memory be Eternal.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »

Some books you just have to be able to hold in your hand. Smiley

I so agree. But for those I also want to sit up and REALLY pay attention!! Smiley

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: