OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:32:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dispelling the Darkness: Mission to Bosnia  (Read 1461 times) Average Rating: 0
emmaus
« on: November 30, 2002, 12:14:56 AM »

www.bosniaks.com
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 11:01:28 AM »

Im trying to understand why you posted this.
JoeS

The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 11:52:53 AM »

I browsed it - apparently it is a Protestant mission to the Bosnjaks. Informative review of the history - the medieval Bosnians, the same ethnicity and language (Slavic) as the Serbs and Croats, were neither Catholic (Croat) nor Orthodox (Serb) but Bogomil ('beloved of God'), which some historians call the Bosnian Church. This was a dualist heresy (Manichaean) like the Albigensians and Cathars in western Europe - I don't think it had episcopacy or Christian-like sacraments such as the Eucharist. And with Ottoman Turkish rule these Bogomils became Muslims.

emmaus
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2002, 06:13:22 AM »

Im trying to understand why you posted this.
JoeS

The post is about missions, Joe. It's about Christians bringing the Good News to those living in darkness. I thought the content of the post was self-explanatory.

In Christ,

Abdur

And God bless the Protestants. They are doing in Muslim Bosnia what others cannot do.
Aklie Semaet

Thank God for my fiancée!

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 02:48:50 PM »

And God bless the Protestants. They are doing in Muslim Bosnia what others cannot do.

Is this maybe because we put too much attention on sheep stealing, accusing the other of being a heretic, quoting our favorite Church father to make a point and almost no time or attention to spreading the Gospel in areas that have not heard it? I don’t really have the stomach for Protestants (especially since they are involved in a campaign to get rid of my Church through mass conversions) but I am going to have to agree with you Abdur (reluctantly); if Apostolic Christians can not do anything for Muslims, Pagans, Jews and non-believers while Protestants can and are, God bless them. This should be a wake up call for us to get our acts together.

Ethiopia ijochwan wede Egzabiher tezregalech
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 08:33:18 PM »

Abdur, we have lots of ethnic problems in the Apostolic Churches. I'm not surprised if Catholicism and Orhodoxy are not welcomed by Bosniac people, specially because Catholicism comes from the Croatians and Orthodoxy from the Serbs, you know what are we talking about.
The identity thing is important, Bosniacs are now "muslim", but it is thought that their separate identity existed even before islam arrived, as most of them were bogomiles (members of a dualistic heretical sect). It is possible that they were a separate groups because the bogomiles in Bulgaria, for example, converted to Roman Catholicism, and not to Islam, and most Roman Catholic people from Bulgaria, Mecedonia, and some parts of Greece may have been connected to the Pomaks or to the muslim slavs of the Balkan.

However it is impossible to deny that the Apostolic Churches have been weak in their recent missionary jobs. Some would say that not the Latin Church but it is impossible to ignore that the versions that the modern Catholic missions are spreading among non-christians, like charismatism, are far from the original teachings of the Latin Church.

About Orthodox Churches, the ethnic problem is the main obstacle, for example,  in Turkey there's a strong needing of finding Jesus Christ among Turks, but the Orthodox Church doesn't do a good job with the Turkish people (despite the fact that in most parishes, the liturgy is celebrated in Turkish) because of those infamous agreements with the government, and its "foreign status"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2002, 08:45:32 PM by Remie » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: