OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 01:53:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On conversion...  (Read 1341 times) Average Rating: 0
RileyB

Faith: Traditional Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Wichita

« on: October 04, 2010, 10:13:38 PM »

I will endeavor to make this short, quick and painless as possible.

I am a Traditionalist Roman Catholic.  Always have been.  Two years ago, I started reading several authors on the subject of the "true church", each asserting that their brand was correct, and that the others wer the opposite.  This, of course, piqued my interest.  I researched church history starting with Christ himself, and the hierarchal order that was established following his ascension.  Of course, solo scriptura is not my aim, as I realize that the traditions of the fathers played an important role in shaping our faith, and that without them, we cannot begin to understand the scripture.  Long story short, as I researched the different branches, and their claims, as well as basic church history, I began to notice that my own personal views and beliefs aligned so much closer with that of the Orthodox faith than that of my own.  I got in trouble often as a child for arguing with my priest over the very topics that I see highlighted in the differences between the Orthodox and Catholic churches.  As this is the case, I have delved deeply into orthodox theology, beliefs, traditions and writings to get a better understanding, and to see if this is the way that I feel that I am being led.  I believe, without any doubts, that I was led to read about all of the different "Brands" of Christianity, to lead me to this point.  So my question is, simply put, how do I start?  There are two Orthodox churches within 45 minutes, and I have visited them both.  Having witnessed the tradition and liturgy first hand, I want more!  Where do I go from here?

Regards                            IC    XC
                                          +
Rolando Bonilla DeLaCruz      NI    KA
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »

Have you talked to one of the priests?

Those here can point you to good books, texts, and arguments, but ultimately this is a spiritual issue. Your local priests can best point you in the right direction while you experience the Orthodox liturgy and pray.

I'm going to need this.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:23:59 PM »

I will endeavor to make this short, quick and painless as possible.

I am a Traditionalist Roman Catholic.  Always have been.  Two years ago, I started reading several authors on the subject of the "true church", each asserting that their brand was correct, and that the others wer the opposite.  This, of course, piqued my interest.  I researched church history starting with Christ himself, and the hierarchal order that was established following his ascension.  Of course, solo scriptura is not my aim, as I realize that the traditions of the fathers played an important role in shaping our faith, and that without them, we cannot begin to understand the scripture.  Long story short, as I researched the different branches, and their claims, as well as basic church history, I began to notice that my own personal views and beliefs aligned so much closer with that of the Orthodox faith than that of my own.  I got in trouble often as a child for arguing with my priest over the very topics that I see highlighted in the differences between the Orthodox and Catholic churches.  As this is the case, I have delved deeply into orthodox theology, beliefs, traditions and writings to get a better understanding, and to see if this is the way that I feel that I am being led.  I believe, without any doubts, that I was led to read about all of the different "Brands" of Christianity, to lead me to this point.  So my question is, simply put, how do I start?  There are two Orthodox churches within 45 minutes, and I have visited them both.  Having witnessed the tradition and liturgy first hand, I want more!  Where do I go from here?

Welcome to the forum, Riley. Your next step is to talk to one of the priests, someone who is available and open to guiding you into Orthodoxy. You might also want to start a simple prayer rule if you haven't already.  What were the two parishes like? Did the people welcome you? May God guide you.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:30:35 PM »

Welcome to the forum, and may God guide your steps!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:42:36 AM »

Welcome.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

spcasuncoast.org
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:32:27 PM »

Welcome, Riley!  I can't add any more than what's been said, here.  My first introduction to the Orthodox Church was through a priest who loaded me up with books to read. **grins** But I found that experiencing the Liturgy and all the other forms of worship offered was where I really fell in love with the Orthodox Church.  It's definitely a full experience!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »

Welcome!

Given your background, is one of the parishes you visited the Western Rite Orthodox Mission?
http://www.stmichaeloc.org/

When I had convinced myself, or rather was convinced, from reading the first priest I met with told me I had to go see the Orthodox "in their natural habitat" i.e. the DL. Still good advice.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 10:32:04 PM »

Welcome!  Smiley
Orthophoria

Faith: Orthodox - Newly Illumined
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »

Welcome Riley!  Smiley
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 04:30:34 PM »

Welcome to the forum Riley!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:34:58 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
RileyB

Faith: Traditional Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Wichita

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »

I have slipped into St. George Orthodox Cathedral in Wichita several times and had one good talk with Father James.  I have read close to twenty books thus far, and I am pretty much convinced.  The truth shines like a light!!!

Regards                            IC    XC
                                          +
Rolando Bonilla DeLaCruz      NI    KA
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 10:16:40 PM »

Then the next steps are to begin attending services there regularly, inform the priest of your desire, and listen to whatever he tells you to do Smiley

Qui cantat, bis orat
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 01:00:31 AM »

My prayers.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 04:12:53 PM »

I have slipped into St. George Orthodox Cathedral in Wichita several times and had one good talk with Father James.  I have read close to twenty books thus far, and I am pretty much convinced.  The truth shines like a light!!!

Not many people have the good fortune and great blessing to be introduced to the faith at the Cathedral Church of a holy bishop like +Basil. may the Lord bless your spiritual journey!

ADDED: Your journey seems strikingly similar to that of Father Paul, the dean of Saint George's. According to the short bio at the web site of the Cathedral, "A native Californian, Fr. Paul was born in 1954 in San Francisco and raised in nearby Marin County. His upbringing was solidly Roman Catholic; he attended both primary and secondary Catholic schools and graduated from Marin Catholic High School in 1972. Becoming disaffected with Roman Catholicism at first because of liturgical changes, Fr. Paul investigated Christian history and traditions with a view to understanding the authentic Christian liturgical ethos and the development of the historic faith. This study led him to the conclusion that where Roman Catholicism differed from Eastern Orthodoxy, Orthodoxy had in fact preserved the authentic tradition."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:16:55 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 10:47:13 PM »

"The truth shines like a light!!!"

Mmmmmm. A gifted writer could really get a lot of mileage out of a simile like that. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: