OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 01:25:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Interesting Sunday  (Read 1347 times) Average Rating: 0
Stepan

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: October 04, 2010, 09:27:59 AM »

Haven't posted in a awhile so I thought I'd stop in and share news from the journey.

As I have shared, I have been wanting to convert to Orthodoxy since my exposure to it about 6 years ago now. Problem is, my wife's only exposure has been through an indvidual who is somewhat legalistic in their faith (at least that is her perception) and nothing she has heard from him has endeared her to Orthodoxy. Consequently, when I've brought up Orthodoxy she has flatly refused.

We left the Protestant church we were members of and for a numer of weeks have been attending a Catholic church. Admittedly, I have just not been able to settle down there at all.

So this past sunday while my wife was out of town on a whim I decided that my son and I would attend the Divine Liturgy at a local Orthodox church. For myself it was like that feeling when one's head is under water and you are finally able to come up for air. It only soldified my desire to be Orthodox. As for my 6 year old son, he was completely still and quiet...not a peep except for one whispered question. He was completely content.

I asked him after the Liturgy what he thought and he said that "it made me want to be quiet, like I shouldn't say a word". He went on to talk about the icons and various aspect of what went on. I then asked him which he liked best, the Orthodox or RCC, and he said the Orthodox because it made him feel quiet and that we should bring Mommy back next week.

So I have decided to bring up visiting to my wife and hope that my son's experience will serve as a testimony of sorts if not simply serve to capture her interest in at least seeing what it was that affeced him so.

An interesting Sunday indeed.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:29:35 AM »

I am glad to hear your son was "okay" with Orthodoxy.

May the Lord open your wife's eyes and heart, and may she join you in your journey "home".

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:33:37 AM »

May the Lord open your wife's eyes and heart, and may she join you in your journey "home".

Lord, have mercy!
Amen!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Stepan

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:40:57 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Indeed...

Taking my son was a sort of testing the waters. I was really taken back by what I saw in him and hearing him say "it made him feel quiet" succinctly summed up my own thoughts as well.

Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 11:19:52 AM »

What a beautiful response in both you and your son!

It's so odd how so many consider the Orthodox Faith so . .. legalistic?  It is truly the FREEST Church I've ever been to.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 12:32:22 PM »

I asked him after the Liturgy what he thought and he said that "it made me want to be quiet, like I shouldn't say a word".

You. Are. So. Lucky.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:22:47 PM »

The kids at the church I go certaintly don't do that, heh heh. Anyway I pray you are able to continue attending divine liturgy.
Quid
Freshly converted rubiks cube ninja

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 11:34:09 PM »

Dude, thats great. Hope is goes well with the wife. If its a Greek church you might be able to lure her there with the promise of delicious treats after the Divine Liturgy.

"Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words."
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 11:35:31 PM »

Yeah the kids at my church are insane, literally rolling around on the ground. Anyway, God be with you and thanks for sharing!
Stepan

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:20 PM »

Dude, thats great. Hope is goes well with the wife. If its a Greek church you might be able to lure her there with the promise of delicious treats after the Divine Liturgy.

This particular parish is Antiochian. There is a Greek church but I think the Antiochian parish would be an easier transition as it is largely converts as far as I could tell. I too hope to continue.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:57:09 PM by Stepan » Logged
Stepan

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 12:01:54 AM »

Yeah the kids at my church are insane, literally rolling around on the ground. Anyway, God be with you and thanks for sharing!

I will say that his behaviour is largely the result of upbringing (and he's just a good kid Smiley ). Another thing that helps is that we typically give him a notepad and a pen which he uses to draw with. But He does pay attention because he will frequently ask me about what the pastor said on the ride home.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 03:20:34 AM »

"it made me want to be quiet, like I shouldn't say a word"

Out of the mouths of babes, indeed!
Stepan

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 09:32:21 AM »

"it made me want to be quiet, like I shouldn't say a word"

Out of the mouths of babes, indeed!

when he said that I was reminded of the hymn God Himself is With Us (I am a former Anglican)

God himself is with us: let us now adore him,
and with awe appear before him.
God is in his temple, all within keep silence,
prostrate lie with deepest reverence.
him alone God we own, him our God and Savior;
praise his Name forever.

Been singing that one to myself since Smiley
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 01:30:36 PM »

It's so odd how so many consider the Orthodox Faith so . .. legalistic?  It is truly the FREEST Church I've ever been to.

I think so too!

Tell your son that the Liturgy "makes me feel quiet" also! Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Colin

Faith: Mainline Protestant

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 02:42:44 PM »

I think so too!

Tell your son that the Liturgy "makes me feel quiet" also! Grin

Interesting that you both mention this, as it's what I felt as well when I've gone to Divine Liturgy. I remember that going to the Lutheran church as a boy (or even more recently when I've gone to the Episcopal church), that my mind always wandered during the service and I didn't feel as if what was going on was particularly alive or relevant to praising God at all. It seemed as if what the parishioners were signing and what the priest was proclaiming was a mere formality; there was hardly life in it. Each and every time that I've attended an Orthodox liturgy, however, it seems as if I cannot concentrate on anything else except the reality of worship in that moment- it's really a total experience, unlike anything I've experienced before.

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory to Him Forever!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 04:23:23 PM »

LOL. The Church is Antiochian. Where do you think that the Greeks got them?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Quid

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 05:01:55 PM »

LOL. The Church is Antiochian. Where do you think that the Greeks got them?

Idk dude, Im a simple guy with a simple mission: locate the baklava.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 05:57:31 PM »

I have had Bulgarian baklava, Turkish baklava, Lebanese baklava and, or course, Greek baklava. If my modesty will allow me (ahem!), my baklava is the very best. PS: Do not ask for the recipe; it is an item in my Last Will and Testament for one of my girls.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »

I have had Bulgarian baklava, Turkish baklava, Lebanese baklava and, or course, Greek baklava. If my modesty will allow me (ahem!), my baklava is the very best. PS: Do not ask for the recipe; it is an item in my Last Will and Testament for one of my girls.

Would you please consider bequeathing your recipe to the churches of Russian descent?
Quid

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »

Just send me a sample.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 08:04:18 PM »

The most truly vile baklava I had the misfortune of eating was made with peanuts .... HERESY!! Walnuts? Almonds? Pistachios? Even hazelnuts? were any of these so expensive or unavailable that PEANUTS were the only choice?
ignatios

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 12:04:07 AM »

I'll be praying that your wife is given the grace to open her heart, and that the Holy Spirit would soften or at least silence the "adversary" in her midst. May God bless you all!
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 01:07:17 AM »

Treats after Divine Liturgy is practically Orthodox dogma, regardless of jurisdiction. Wink

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Stepan

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 09:14:06 AM »

Treats after Divine Liturgy is practically Orthodox dogma, regardless of jurisdiction. Wink

I think that would pretty much seal the deal for my son Wink

Stepan

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 09:39:25 AM »

Thank you all for your prayers.

I am going to mention the visit to her this week when she returns. She has all but settled on becoming Roman Catholic (mostly because we have a large number of Catholic friends, not really doctrinal issues) but I am hopeful that at some point my son will chime in about his experience at the Orthodox church and that this will give her cause to reconsider. I do not relish the idea continuing on to Orthodoxy without her but I do know that I cannot become Roman Catholic.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »

Baklava?
I sneer at your baklava.

Now galactoboureko - that's another story!

Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: