Author Topic: I suck at prayer  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Quid

• Freshly converted rubiks cube ninja
I suck at prayer
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »
Two weeks into Orthodox and I'm already skipping out on prayer. Typically not on purpose, I just forget.

Any advice?
"Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words."

Offline Carefree T

Re: I suck at prayer
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »
My private devotions in my prayers tend to focus around asking for discipline to maintain my prayers ;)

In other words, I have the same problem! Sloth is my worst attribute.

Offline Dart

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:06:45 PM »
When I was little, I discovered that Jesus was always next to me. Once you realize this it just becomes rude not to speak to him.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »
Two weeks into Orthodox and I'm already skipping out on prayer. Typically not on purpose, I just forget.

Any advice?
Yes. Keep at it.

Talk to your priest about your prayer rule. It's usually better to start small. Since I'm not your spiritual father, I won't elaborate.

One thing I've been trying to train myself to do is to pray - even if only the Jesus prayer - whenever I hear church bells. From my home I can hear the bells of at least three different churches (RC) several times a day. Of course, now that the weather is cooling off, with windows shut, I'm less likely to hear them. The basic idea here is to pick something that you know will happen occasionally but regularly to remind you of prayer.

Make your own home page for your browser so every time you go onto the Web you will be greeted with something like "Let us pray to the Lord!"

One more thing: Keep at it.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:27:44 PM »

Any advice?
1. Don't be so hard on yourself. Life is a constant struggle. It comes easy only when you're about to get ambushed.
2. To say you "suck" at something strikes many as rather coarse language--some would say almost obscene--so I would advise you to find an alternative word that communicates your feelings of ineptitude in a way not so likely to cause unnecessary offense.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 11:41:21 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:33:47 PM »
Don't be so hard on yourself.

I was raised in the Church, yet consistent prayer is a constant struggle for me.

You are human; you have faults. It's ok.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:51:51 AM »
Prayer is struggle, as is true with our human relationships. But God's love for us is not dependent on our faithfulness to Him. He is ever present, ever sure. If we are not praying, then what is it that we love more than Him? If I were to be honest, I would confess a myriad of trivial pursuits and vain endeavors that I love more than the experience of God. (Perhaps my even typing these words on this forum is an example.) However, maybe it's because I haven't yet truly experienced God that I choose so many other things over and above seeking Him through diligent prayer.

Just keep trying to pray. Say the Jesus Prayer. Make the sign of the Cross frequently. Say "Lord have mercy," and/or "Kyrie Eleison" throughout the day. It will make a difference.

Selam
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:53:01 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx