OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 11:24:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Altar server's guide/handbook/manual  (Read 2420 times) Average Rating: 0
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« on: October 02, 2010, 10:55:58 AM »

Can you recommend any online guides/handbooks/manuals for Eastern Rite Orthodox altar servers, please?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 10:58:07 AM »

As a former altar server I can assume you that American handbooks (if there are any) won't help you in any way when you think of serving in Poland. Just listen to what more experienced tell you.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 11:13:55 AM »

Can you recommend any online guides/handbooks/manuals for Eastern Rite Orthodox altar servers, please?

Funny you should mention it. We are working a an Alter Servers guide. It's been slow going and it's true that somethings are done very differently in different Jurisdiction. However, we are trying to put something together... Wont be done any time soon. If anyone here has suggestions, please post them or send me a PM.

For now, assist anyone more experienced than you are and remember what they do and when. Then let someone less experienced than you, help you.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 11:14:40 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:14:03 AM »

Just listen to what more experienced tell you.

This is how I was doing it for a year. Wink But still - I would like to read some kind of manual to feel more confident. I already know how the "Polish" practise look like, so I will notice the "American" peculiarities.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »

Just listen to what more experienced tell you.

This is how I was doing it for a year. Wink But still - I would like to read some kind of manual to feel more confident. I already know how the "Polish" practise look like, so I will notice the "American" peculiarities.

There are no "American" peculiarities.  I have served in the Antiochian, ROCOR and Serbian Churches and each was different.  In fact, I have served in the same Serbian Church under two different Priests, and they wanted different things done at different times.  The ROCOR Church had monks serving during Liturgies, and that changed the Server's duties somewhat.  While there are some common things done in each Liturgy, the litergical practices are varied enough in the United States that a definitive common set of instructions would be difficult.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:03:30 PM »

The GOA produced a Altar manual some 30 years ago for a workshop that became popular for a time. But it is of limited value because each Priest does things their own way. It is rather comedic because they all insist they do it the "one and only" correct way not realizing that their liturgy is unique. New Priest = New Book
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:29:01 PM »

The GOA produced a Altar manual some 30 years ago for a workshop that became popular for a time. But it is of limited value because each Priest does things their own way. It is rather comedic because they all insist they do it the "one and only" correct way not realizing that their liturgy is unique. New Priest = New Book

I still think something useful can be put together. Every Liturgy has a Great Entrance etc. The cues as to when to get ready my differ, but a manual can serve as one standard way to do things that will help servers get oriented. Perhaps note space for other cue's and variatoins can be included.

Vigil may not be doable. 

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 11:48:40 PM »

We didn't really have any altar servers back home, besides the sacristan and he didn't wear any sticharion, just regular clothes. Altar servers are very rare in the Romanian churches.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:41:38 AM »

We didn't really have any altar servers back home, besides the sacristan and he didn't wear any sticharion, just regular clothes. Altar servers are very rare in the Romanian churches.

The we shall forgo a Romanian Translation  Smiley

That is actually very interesting... Thanks !

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »

Funny you should mention it. We are working a an Alter Servers guide. It's been slow going and it's true that somethings are done very differently in different Jurisdiction. However, we are trying to put something together... Wont be done any time soon. If anyone here has suggestions, please post them or send me a PM.

For now, assist anyone more experienced than you are and remember what they do and when. Then let someone less experienced than you, help you.
Oh, do let me know when this guide will be available!!!  I need all of the help I can get in this department, and would gladly purchase a guide by mail!!!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: