OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:15:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it just me or does this sound totally wrong???  (Read 2012 times) Average Rating: 0
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« on: November 29, 2002, 10:54:01 PM »

I found this on the Vatican site, and can anyone make this sound right? It says that God is our Mother. WTF?

http://www.vatican.va/spirit/documents/spirit_20010807_giuliana-norwich_en.html

God Bless.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Mudriy

Token Ukrainian Nationalist

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 04:10:51 AM »

Nik,
It sounds totally wrong and doesn't really sit right with me. Last time I checked it was "Our Father..." and such.

WTF is right.

surferuke

"Tranquil Light of the Holy Glory, of the Immortal, Heavenly Holy, Blessed Father.... As we come upn the Sunset, as we see the Evening Light, we sing to God: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. At all times you are worthy...."
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 04:49:04 AM »

Hmmm,

Not totally sure that I am totally in agreement with you here. This is really only a very short extract from 'Revelations of Divine Love'

Mother Julian also gives the image of a child when it has done wrong , running to it's Mother and hiding it's face in her as we turn to The Father when we have done wrong. She [ Mother Julian ] is not saying anywhere that God is not Our Father.

Can we always understand what mystics say/write ?

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 12:00:37 PM »

Good point - no more feminist than the biblical metaphor of God as the Divine Hen.

Josaphat

What's the deal with Llamas?

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 12:50:39 AM »

Cool it, Nik.  And watch your mouth.

In Greek, the Holy Trinity is feminine.

Josaphat
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2002, 01:01:18 AM »

Does not the Slavonic "Bozhe" carry a feminine connotation?

In IC XC
Samer
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2002, 08:44:37 AM »

No, the Slavonic/archaic Russian -æ-+-¦-¦ doesn't carry a feminine connotation. It's simply the vocative (direct address) case of -æ-+-¦, which grammatically is masculine. In several languages the word for Trinity (Latin Trinitas, Spanish Trinidad, Slavonic and Russian -ó-Ç-+-+-å-¦) is feminine but that doesn't mean the speakers believe God is female. (Technically, 'gender' is a grammatical term - being male or female is correctly called 'sex' but the meaning of that word has narrowed in practice.)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2002, 11:28:59 AM by Serge » Logged

SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2002, 04:22:07 PM »

Yes, naturally gender is another matter.  As in French and other languages, we assign a gender to every noun, and some that describe God (power, wisdom, love, etc) are feminine, without impacting upon God in the manner some folks with an agenda would like.

I do not think we have a vocative form except for the "Ya" that may or may not preceed the noun addressed.

Example:
.+è+º +º+ä+ä+æ+ç

In IC XC
Samer
Tags: Juliana of Norwich gender 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: