Author Topic: Heresy Latin icon in Serbian Orthodox monastery  (Read 12110 times)

Offline synLeszka

• High Elder
Heresy Latin icon in Serbian Orthodox monastery
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:02:01 AM »

I am shocked that one of the icons written by Kiko Arguello, founder of the Neo catechumenate movement of the Roman Catholic Church.
Please condemn them of heresy! The monks of Djurdjevi Stupovi must be heretics. They are syncretists,using heretical images of Christ. Damnare, damnare!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:02:16 AM by synLeszka »

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: Heresy Latin icon in Serbian Orthodox monastery
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:29:15 AM »
What ARE you talking about?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:39:05 AM »
You mean that icon:

It comes from Sinai and is 1500 year old. Much older than Kiko and his Roman Catholicism.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline synLeszka

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 11:03:11 AM »
You mean that icon:

It comes from Sinai and is 1500 year old. Much older than Kiko and his Roman Catholicism.
But the Neocatechumenical Way produces many copies of that icon. That is one of their trademarks.
I think that in the name of Orthodoxy you should destroy the copiers of the Orthodox icon. How dare Roman Catholics pray to icons.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:04:22 AM by synLeszka »

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 11:05:08 AM »
Is it the reason for the Orthodox Church to abandon Her heritage?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »
You mean that icon:

But the Neocatechumenical Way produces many copies of that icon. That is one of their trademarks.
I think that in the name of Orthodoxy you should destroy the copiers of the Orthodox icon. How dare Roman Catholics pray to icons.

Why don't we destroy his "Roman Catholicism" instead?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 12:57:56 PM »

And here we have it. Isa's true feelings concerning the Catholic Church. Now it is painfully clear where his anti-Catholic posts come from.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
    • Irenikin: The Skete
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 01:17:46 PM »

And here we have it. Isa's true feelings concerning the Catholic Church. Now it is painfully clear where his anti-Catholic posts come from.

Nothing will be said to him.  It is an Orthodox forum.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »
How dare Roman Catholics pray to icons.

Yeah, next thing you know, they'll be saying the Jesus Prayer, and you know what happens after that, right?  One moment they're at the Greek Festival, eating their gyro's and getting a tour of the quaint little Orthodox parish, and then the next moment... BAM! they're chrismated, and insisting that their wives call them by their new name, Barsanuphius Alexanderovovovitch, from now on.  :P
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:39:35 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »

Yeah, next thing you know, they'll be saying the Jesus Prayer, and you know what happens after that, right?  One moment they're at the Greek Festival, eating their gyro's and getting a tour of the quaint little Orthodox parish, and then the next moment... BAM! they're chrismated, and insisting that their wives call them by their new name, Barsanuphius Alexanderovovovitch, from now on.  :P

;D this definitely made me laugh.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 01:53:12 PM »
You mean that icon:

Are you serious, or are you just trolling for a reaction?
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »
You mean that icon:

Are you serious, or are you just trolling for a reaction?
I think he's being quite funny.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »

Ah, so he is funny and witifully ironic, but Isa is being serious. :) Aham.
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Latin Church
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 02:20:14 PM »

One doesn't have to read much of this forum to discover how ialmisry feels about Catholics.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 02:20:55 PM »

Isa is an anti-Catholic polemicist. synLeszka is merely being satirical with regard to persons like Isa.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:21:16 PM by Papist »

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 02:34:37 PM »
Isa is an anti-Catholic polemicist. synLeszka is merely being satirical with regard to persons like Isa.

I think one has to have degrees here. When you say "anti-catholic" do you mean a person who simply opposes what he thinks is wrong or someone who really doesn't care if it's right or wrong, but only wants to be "against"?

I think Isa falls in the first type. Maria and you seem to think that there are no significant differences between Orthodoxy and RC and that the RC is separated just due to the pettiness of small-minded individuals, in the RC maybe, but mostly in the Orthodox church. People like Isa probably.

Now, *if* that is the case, then, of course, you are failing to acknowledge that there are very many people in RC and Orthodoxy who think the differences are far deeper than simply people's bad attitude, but are theological in essence. *If* that is the case, you are failing to concede and respect the fact that people evaluate these differences differently. And this difference in evaluation is the border that puts side by side, traditionalist Orthodox and RCs on one side and ecumenist Orthodox and RC on the other.  That is why I think that, due to the tendency to the creation of a world government, we will eventually end with a new global pseudo-church that will come from the field of the ecumenists and which will marginalize and demonize those on the other side of the border, both RCs and Orthodox (and Protestants).
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »

I think one has to have degrees here. When you say "anti-catholic" do you mean a person who simply opposes what he thinks is wrong or someone who really doesn't care if it's right or wrong, but only wants to be "against"?

I think Isa falls in the first type. Maria and you seem to think that there are no significant differences between Orthodoxy and RC and that the RC is separated just due to the pettiness of small-minded individuals, in the RC maybe, but mostly in the Orthodox church. People like Isa probably.

Now, *if* that is the case, then, of course, you are failing to acknowledge that there are very many people in RC and Orthodoxy who think the differences are far deeper than simply people's bad attitude, but are theological in essence. *If* that is the case, you are failing to concede and respect the fact that people evaluate these differences differently. And this difference in evaluation is the border that puts side by side, traditionalist Orthodox and RCs on one side and ecumenist Orthodox and RC on the other.  That is why I think that, due to the tendency to the creation of a world government, we will eventually end with a new global pseudo-church that will come from the field of the ecumenists and which will marginalize and demonize those on the other side of the border, both RCs and Orthodox (and Protestants).
Why do you think that I think that there are no significant differences? A few days ago I wrote a post that said that there are reasons why we are not ready to be communion with eachother. I think you are making assumptions that are not based in reality.

That being said, I think Isa is not only agains the Catholic Church because he against some of her teachings. I think he is against the Catholic Church because he likes being against her. If anything, it probably comes from his Lutheran background.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:40:08 PM by Papist »

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
Is there an actual discussion topic going on here related to the OP?

Making copies of icons is fine. Most icons are copies of other icons. They all do what icons are supposed to do.

As for Roman Catholics venerating icons, they would not really be Roman Catholics if they did not. Despite Bernard of Clairvaux's artistic simplification and modern Roman artistic strangulation, the Roman Catholic Church has not officially embraced the heresy of iconoclasm.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »

Nothing will be said to him.  It is an Orthodox forum.

Please.  Isa has quite a long "rap sheet" on here.  He is under just as much scrutiny as you are and when he breaks the rules, he is punished.

And now I will put on my moderator hat.

This is a general warning.  Steer clear of ad hominems in this thread.  There will be no slaps on the wrist.  You will not pass Go.  You will not collect $200.  YOU WILL BE DEALT WITH SHOULD YOU TOSS AN AD HOMINEM IN THIS THREAD.

Thank you.

Schultz.
-Orthodox-Catholic Discussion moderator
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:24:27 PM by Schultz »
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 03:24:43 PM »
Why do you think that I think that there are no significant differences? A few days ago I wrote a post that said that there are reasons why we are not ready to be communion with eachother. I think you are making assumptions that are not based in reality.

I supposed that, and because it was a supposition I highlighted the "ifs". I was wrong. Good. :)

That being said, I think Isa is not only agains the Catholic Church because he against some of her teachings. I think he is against the Catholic Church because he likes being against her. If anything, it probably comes from his Lutheran background.

That's an assumption. :)

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 03:27:32 PM »

Now, *if* that is the case, then, of course, you are failing to acknowledge that there are very many people in RC and Orthodoxy who think the differences are far deeper than simply people's bad attitude, but are theological in essence. *If* that is the case, you are failing to concede and respect the fact that people evaluate these differences differently. And this difference in evaluation is the border that puts side by side, traditionalist Orthodox and RCs on one side and ecumenist Orthodox and RC on the other.  That is why I think that, due to the tendency to the creation of a world government, we will eventually end with a new global pseudo-church that will come from the field of the ecumenists and which will marginalize and demonize those on the other side of the border, both RCs and Orthodox (and Protestants).

Good Lord!!  What a horrible prognostication!

I hope this is not what happens at all.  I truly hope that all of us can winkle the planks out of our eyes and take another look at one another, rather than settling for something that is representative of neither one!!

Do I believe there are huge blind spots cultivated in Orthodoxy with respect to the Catholic reality....Yes, indeed I do think that.  Do I think that it is just small minds who do that?  No.  I don't.  And that is the worst part of it!!

On the other hand, there is a horrid amount of ignorance among many of the faithful and add to that the failure of our educational system to create people who can reason and think clearly and it can indeed get messy internally, much less cross-confessional.  

But I think there are enough who can think and see clearly, who can do more than cut and paste and are willing to put their own values and beliefs and perceptions on the table for critique and consideration, there are enough historians who have large enough parts of the past at hand, and well documented and digested,  that we are not bereft and there is no need to conjure a future where there are two competing remnants and one bulging false middle!!...or one anemic false middle and two bulging outliers...however you see the numbers going, I don't know.

M.

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 03:30:46 PM »

Nothing will be said to him.  It is an Orthodox forum.

Please.  Isa has quite a long "rap sheet" on here.  He is under just as much scrutiny as you are and when he breaks the rules, he is punished.

And now I will put on my moderator hat.

This is a general warning.  Steer clear of ad hominems in this thread.  There will be no slaps on the wrist.  You will not pass Go.  You will not collect $200.  YOU WILL BE DEALT WITH SHOULD YOU TOSS AN AD HOMINEM IN THIS THREAD.

Thank you.

Schultz.
-Orthodox-Catholic Discussion moderator

Sorry, Schultz and everybody.  I don't want Isa to be "punished" at all.  I was just sore.

Pardon, and we'll do our best Schultz!!

M.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 04:12:26 PM »

Since my name is derived from Kyrillos, I tried to get my wife to call me lord and/or master. Bad move!  8)

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 04:37:40 PM »

I know. I *am* rather pessimistic of ecumenism in general. First because we know there will be a global kingdom of the Antichrist. We know that it *will* look very holy for everybody in the beginning, and that in its last years, the mask will fall, and it will persecute the church. Now, of course, for those doing the persecution, that kingdom will still look holy to them, and their persecution will seem perfectly justified and legitimate.

Second, we *are* on the border of a huge change in human history. We are living the very construction of the first global society ever. Does this mean that once global government is put up, its first leader (probably a "president" or "secretary-general") will be the AntiChrist? I don't know. Maybe the Antichrist will need a more consolidated global government. Maybe even a more "universal" government than we think (yes, I do think that we might extend human society to other planets and even galaxies, maybe even more).

Anyway, a unified global religion under which all religions could be relativized would be the ideal supporter of such government. And, despite the best intentions of all sides, politically, the forces are thus divided:

1 - Traditionalists on each side that think that true union means conversion of some sort. These are a minority. Moscow certainly is here.
2 - Realpolitik traditionalists share the belief of traditionalists, but think that conversion can be achieved through diplomacy, face saving of the other side, finding words that could be accepted by all involved sides and dialogue. Rome is most definetily here.
3 - Self-correctors and politically correct ones are those in each church who, with different degrees, either hesitate to boldly affirm their faiths or think their own side is the one who has caused the division and thus that it should accept the other side terms (with different degrees of acceptance of such terms); Sometimes I think it is here that Constantinople is.
4 - Relativists who think that we all adore the same God under different expressions. To them, the divisions are but misunderstandings. Here lie most of the Protestant and liberal denominations;
5 - Globalists who really don't care about theology or truth. They want to be in the global jetset, they feel the power of the new rising global elite and want to be part of it. These are infiltrated in all sides and many if not all the secular sponsors of these movements;

The problem is that (1) and (2) are the only ones that actually play some resistance to the wave that (3), (4) and (5) are. The problem is that in this wave, just the globalists really know what they want and have a creative motivation. Thus, (3) and (4) will play along their tunes even when they think they are acting independently. The globalist camp, then, has numbers on its side: the whole mass of (3) and (4), the secular globalists, not to mention the non-Christian and outright anti-Christian people and forces which would rather have a fake merely social and ethical church.

That is why I believe that the tendency is the formation of a globalist church that will be untrue to all traditions although having a discourse impressive enough so that its generic utterances, meaning nothing, will be able to be understood as whatever one wants and this will be given as proof that they are true to all traditions. Under this reality, (1) and (2) will first be labelled as exotic and excentric, than as incovenient, than as outright schismatic, than as dangerous and persecution of Christians will resume but acted by false Christians against the true ones, as a total inversion that is typical of the kingdom of AntiChrist.

Is that for 10 or a 10,000 years? I don't know. I do know that if it were in 10 years I wouldn't be impressed because all the elements are all put together. And make no mistake, the head of this new church will probably call himself pope of Rome, even if traditionalists RCs wouldn't recognize him to be so. As St. Gregory the Great said, the title of "universal patriarch" is a sign of the precursor of the Antichrist. This false primate, very probably in my opinion, will be he who the book of Revelation call the "False Prophet" who will direct the people to worship the AntiChrist.

Well, I think that's enough for a Fabian Pessimistic Theology. :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:41:59 PM by Fabio Leite »

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 04:43:44 PM »

I know. I *am* rather pessimistic of ecumenism in general. First because we know there will be a global kingdom of the Antichrist. We know that it *will* look very holy for everybody in the beginning, and that in its last years, the mask will fall, and it will persecute the church. Now, of course, for those doing the persecution, that kingdom will still look holy to them, and their persecution will seem perfectly justified and legitimate.

Second, we *are* on the border of a huge change in human history. We are living the very construction of the first global society ever. Does this mean that once global government is put up, its first leader (probably a "president" or "secretary-general") will be the AntiChrist? I don't know. Maybe the Antichrist will need a more consolidated global government. Maybe even a more "universal" government than we think (yes, I do think that we might extend human society to other planets and even galaxies, maybe even more).

Anyway, a unified global religion under which all religions could be relativized would be the ideal supporter of such government. And, despite the best intentions of all sides, politically, the forces are thus divided:

1 - Traditionalists on each side that think that true union means conversion of some sort. These are a minority. Moscow certainly is here.
2 - Realpolitik traditionalists share the belief of traditionalists, but think that conversion can be achieved through diplomacy, face saving of the other side, finding words that could be accepted by all involved sides and dialogue. Rome is most definetily here.
3 - Self-correctors and politically correct ones are those in each church who, with different degrees, either hesitate to boldly affirm their faiths or think their own side is the one who has caused the division and thus that it should accept the other side terms (with different degrees of acceptance of such terms); Sometimes I think it is here that Constantinople is.
4 - Relativists who think that we all adore the same God under different expressions. To them, the divisions are but misunderstandings. Here lie most of the Protestant and liberal denominations;
5 - Globalists who really don't care about theology or truth. They want to be in the global jetset, they feel the power of the new rising global elite and want to be part of it. These are infiltrated in all sides and many if not all the secular sponsors of these movements;

The problem is that (1) and (2) are the only ones that actually play some resistance to the wave that (3), (4) and (5). The problem is that in this wave, just (5) really know what they want and have a creative motivation. Thus, (3) and (4) will play along their tunes even when they think they are acting independently. The globalist camp, then, has numbers on its side: the whole mass of (3) and (4), the secular globalists, not to mention the non-Christian and outright anti-Christian people and forces which would rather have a fake merely social and ethical church.

That is why I believe that the tendency is the formation of a globalist church that will be untrue to all traditions although having a discourse impressive enough so that its generic utterances, meaning nothing, will be able to be understood as whatever one wants and this will be given as proof that they are true to all traditions. Under this reality, (1) and (2) will first be labelled as exotic and excentric, than as incovenient, than as outright schismatic, than as dangerous and persecution will of Christians will resume but acted by false Christians against the true ones, as a total inversion that is typical of the kingdom of AntiChrist.

Is that for 10 or a 10,000 years? I don't know. I do know that if it were in 10 years I wouldn't be impressed because all the elements are all put together. And make no mistake, the head of this new church will probably call himself pope of Rome, even if traditionalists RCs wouldn't recognize him to be so. As St. Gregory the Great said, the title of "universal patriarch" is a sign of the precursor of the Antichrist. This false primate, very probably in my opinion, will be he who the book of Revelation call the "False Prophet" who will direct the people to worship the AntiChrist.

Well, I think that's enough for a Fabian Pessimistic Theology. :)

Oh my goodness!!  Yes.  Find another obsession soon please.... :laugh:

I just look at all this, my eyes glaze over and I reach out and pick up my Psalter  :angel:

But I won't be so inclined to be so hard on you now that I know the "monkey" on your back!!

In Christ,

M.

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 04:51:25 PM »
You mean that icon:

I think that in the name of Orthodoxy you should destroy the copiers of the Orthodox icon. How dare Roman Catholics pray to icons...

Don't You and the rest of the Polish People Venerate A Byzantine Ikona Stolen from the East,,So if you want to Get rid of Icons Start with that one ...By Giving it Back...
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 05:40:50 PM »

I am shocked that one of the icons written by Kiko Arguello, founder of the Neo catechumenate movement of the Roman Catholic Church.
Please condemn them of heresy! The monks of Djurdjevi Stupovi must be heretics. They are syncretists,using heretical images of Christ. Damnare, damnare!

Trolling? 

Offline synLeszka

• High Elder
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 06:08:55 AM »
 ;D I am just joking. I was just trying to build on the vibes I am receiving from you all.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 08:31:52 AM »
You mean that icon:

I think that in the name of Orthodoxy you should destroy the copiers of the Orthodox icon. How dare Roman Catholics pray to icons...

Don't You and the rest of the Polish People Venerate A Byzantine Ikona Stolen from the East,,So if you want to Get rid of Icons Start with that one ...By Giving it Back...
LOL. Bravo.

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 01:53:56 PM »
You mean that icon:

LOL. Bravo.

Yeah, because we modern day Catholics are totally accountable for what some Catholic individuals did hundreds of years ago.  ::)

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »
You mean that icon:

LOL. Bravo.

Yeah, because we modern day Catholics are totally accountable for what some Catholic individuals did hundreds of years ago.  ::)
Wyatt, you know very well that you sacked Constantinople.  ;)   :D

Offline WetCatechumen

• Roman Catholic
  • Elder
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 02:13:06 PM »

Actually, I was the one who sacked Constantinople. Sorry guys. It wasn't even the Franks. I was covering for them. :(
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:13:14 PM by WetCatechumen »
"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 02:22:21 PM »
You mean that icon:

LOL. Bravo.

You "modern day catholics" still have it.

I venerated the Black Madonna when I was in Poland.  Lo and behold, it was in the possession of a Latin monastery, not even an Eastern one in submission.  And no, that wasn't hundreds of years ago.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 02:36:28 PM »

Actually, I was the one who sacked Constantinople. Sorry guys. It wasn't even the Franks. I was covering for them. :(
Wait... I sacked Constantinople... I'm getting confused.

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 02:47:55 PM »
You mean that icon:

LOL. Bravo.

I venerated the Black Madonna when I was in Poland.  Lo and behold, it was in the possession of a Latin monastery, not even an Eastern one in submission.  And no, that wasn't hundreds of years ago.

We'll return your Icons after you return our churches. Constantinople was a Catholic See for 1054 years. ;)

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »
You mean that icon:

LOL. Bravo.

We'll return your Icons after you return our churches. Constantinople was a Catholic See for 1054 years. ;)

And still is.  If only the Roman See were still around....
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 03:27:58 PM »
You mean that icon:

LOL. Bravo.

And still is.  If only the Roman See were still around....
We're talkiing about taking care of that matter here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,30219.0.html

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 03:46:53 PM »

Wait... him claiming a desire to destroy Romanism is somehow surprising to you?

Don't you realize that most of the people on this site would choose to destroy your religion, by the conversion of all of its members to Orthodoxy, if given the chance?

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »

Don't you realize that most of the people on this site would choose to destroy your religion, by the conversion of all of its members to Orthodoxy, if given the chance?
What is Romanism?

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 03:52:41 PM »

What is Romanism?

Your religion.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 03:54:45 PM »

What is Romanism?

Your religion.
No it's not. Let me check my parish website.... Nope, it's not called a Romanist Church. In fact, I have never seen a "Romanist" Church anywhere.... Ever. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 03:55:31 PM »
Deusveritasest,
perhaps you have me confused with someone else. Is there brand new denomination going by the name "Romanist"? I probably just haven't heard of it.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 03:58:20 PM »
Deusveritasest,
I looked all over the internet and couldn't find a Church officially called "Romanist".

Here is a list of Christian denominations on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

Couldn't find "Romanist" on there. Can you tell me what are the distinctive beliefs of the "Romanists"?
Thanks

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 04:02:23 PM »

What is Romanism?

Your religion.
No it's not. Let me check my parish website.... Nope, it's not called a Romanist Church. In fact, I have never seen a "Romanist" Church anywhere.... Ever. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

I never said that it is what you call yourselves. It's what I call your religion, because, as I have already explained, I refuse to dignify it with the name Catholic.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 04:03:50 PM »
BTW, you're just playing dumb, because I call the "Eastern Orthodox" Byzantines in a refusal to call them Orthodox and they know what I am talking about.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 04:05:26 PM »
BTW, you're just playing dumb, because I call the "Eastern Orthodox" Byzantines in a refusal to call them Orthodox and they know what I am talking about.
I'm not playing dumb. I have just never heard of a "Romanist" organization. Again, I invite you to browse the Wikipedia article.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 04:08:11 PM »
I'm not playing dumb. I have just never heard of a "Romanist" organization. Again, I invite you to browse the Wikipedia article.

I just proved to you how you're playing dumb. The Byzantines know what I am talking about. You ever see an "Eastern Orthodox" congregation with the word "Byzantine" as their religious designation? All of them on this site manage to get it. On top of that, a number of your coreligionists have managed to understand the term "Romanist". So it's really obvious that you're just playing dumb.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »

I just proved to you how you're playing dumb. The Byzantines know what I am talking about. You ever see an "Eastern Orthodox" congregation with the word "Byzantine" as their religious designation? All of them on this site manage to get it. On top of that, a number of your coreligionists have managed to understand the term "Romanist". So it's really obvious that you're just playing dumb.
Are you accusing me of being dumb just because there is not a single organization out there that I can identify that calls itself "Romanist"? If you know of one, just point it out so that I can learn about this group.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2010, 04:11:24 PM »

Are you accusing me of being dumb just because there is not a single organization out there that I can identify that calls itself "Romanist"? If you know of one, just point it out so that I can learn about this group.

It's already clear. I am accusing you of playing dumb for refusing to recognize what I mean by "Romanist" when it is incredibly obvious at this point.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2010, 04:19:58 PM »

It's already clear. I am accusing you of playing dumb for refusing to recognize what I mean by "Romanist" when it is incredibly obvious at this point.
It's not an obvious point when there is no such organization. Perhaps it is some shadow group that none of us has ever heard of. You know you are being very cruel if you are criticizing me for not know about some information to which I am not privy.

BTW, not even "Spell Check" recognizes this "Romanist" organization.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2010, 04:24:31 PM »
Yes, it is obvious that you are just playing dumb and if you are not willing to quit it then this conversation is over even though you have avoided the question I was trying to get at in the first place.  ::)

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2010, 04:25:47 PM »
Yes, it is obvious that you are just playing dumb and if you are not willing to quit it then this conversation is over even though you have avoided the question I was trying to get at in the first place.  ::)
Blast, you won't share your secret organization with me. What if they are after me and I don't know. For the sake of my safety, you must tell me about this secretive "Romanist" organization.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:26:04 PM by Papist »

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2010, 04:47:35 PM »

Wait, you mean all this time you've been meaning US and not the Byzantine Romanists?   :D
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »
it's nice to see we're back on this:

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2010, 05:05:03 PM »

Wait, you mean all this time you've been meaning US and not the Byzantine Romanists?   :D

Seeing as how I've even used the two in distinction, and also used Byzantine and Oriental in distinction and relation to each other regarding the Joint Commission... yeah, I think you knew that.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:05:40 PM by deusveritasest »

Offline Rufus

• OC.net guru
  • Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2010, 06:32:49 PM »

Hey, the Byzantines were the real Romans, ya know! ;)

Offline Ionnis

• OC.net guru
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2010, 06:35:58 PM »

What I find unbelievable is that we can't call Eastern Catholics uniates, but an apostate can come onto an Orthodox forum and call the Orthodox "Byzantines".  :-/ 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:38:19 PM by Ionnis »
"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »

Hey, the Byzantines were the real Romans, ya know! ;)

I don't care about the Romans. That has nothing to do with Orthodoxy or the Church.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2010, 07:02:55 PM »
What I find unbelievable is that we can't call Eastern Catholics uniates,

I don't sympathize with that policy.

but an apostate

That must be a slam against Oriental Orthodoxy, because that is what I am joining.

can come onto an Orthodox forum and call the Orthodox "Byzantines".  :-/ 

This site is joint "Eastern Orthodox" and Oriental Orthodox.

It's not just "Eastern Orthodox" as you seem to be suggesting.

And it actually has been made clear and explicit that either party is free to refer to their own party as exclusively the Orthodox party. So what I am doing is addressed and protected because of the conjoint nature of this site.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2010, 07:06:35 PM »
I would personally prefer to use the term "Melkite", as that is what the Oriental Orthodox have historically used to refer to you, but unfortunately the Romanists have confused the usage of that term.

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2010, 07:11:45 PM »
I would personally prefer to use the term "Melkite", as that is what the Oriental Orthodox have historically used to refer to you, but unfortunately the Romanists have confused the usage of that term.

Wouldn't it just be easier to stop acting like a child and refer to either church under its official name?

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2010, 07:13:16 PM »

Wouldn't it just be easier to stop acting like a child and refer to either church under its official name?

How is it childish to refuse to refer to the unCatholic as Catholic and the unOrthodox as Orthodox?

Offline ChristusDominus

• High Elder
  • Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »

How is it childish to refuse to refer to the unCatholic as Catholic and the unOrthodox as Orthodox?
Well spoken for a guy with no church affiliation.
There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »

The Fathers had no difficulty in seeing the importance of protecting our brand name. Accept no imitations, nor copyright infringements.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2010, 07:41:18 PM »

It's not an obvious point when there is no such organization. Perhaps it is some shadow group that none of us has ever heard of. You know you are being very cruel if you are criticizing me for not know about some information to which I am not privy.

BTW, not even "Spell Check" recognizes this "Romanist" organization.

>:( Off topic note: The spellchecker on this forum really is heretical (possibly nestorian), it does not recognize the title Theotokos to the mother of our saviour.   ;D

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2010, 07:48:57 PM »
I would personally like to call you a Severian (perhaps a "headless" one as our Byzantine services refer to one of your party's founders).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:55:59 PM by augustin717 »
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline ChristusDominus

• High Elder
  • Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2010, 07:49:18 PM »

I think that would demonstrate christian charity and an attitude towards mutual respect. Unfortunately, some here would rather disrespect their christian brothers just to please their own personal agenda. In the end, I hope they understand that church membership does not guarantee them salvation. 'By their fruits they shall be known'.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:50:55 PM by ChristusDominus »
There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »
I thought we had some rules in place on this forum that forbids deliberately calling churches by derogatory names. I would think that ialmisry refusing to call Catholics anything except "the Vatican" would fall under this too since he's deliberately not calling us by the name we wish to be called.

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2010, 08:30:15 PM »
I thought we had some rules in place on this forum that forbids deliberately calling churches by derogatory names. I would think that ialmisry refusing to call Catholics anything except "the Vatican" would fall under this too since he's deliberately not calling us by the name we wish to be called.
Answered here
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19903.msg477860/topicseen.html#msg477860

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2010, 08:54:59 PM »
I would personally like to call you a Severian (perhaps a "headless" one as our Byzantine services refer to one of your party's founders).

OK. Why don't you?

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2010, 11:42:33 PM »

It isn't childish per se, however your attitude is childish.  You've made it clear that you don't accept the RCC to be "Catholic" nor the EOC to be "Orthodox."  You're entitled to your opinion but trust me, it won't kill you (or make you any less of an Orthodox Christian...once that day happens of course) to refer to these said churches by their official names; afterall, when the hierarchs of the OO churches are in ecumencial dialogue with the RCC and the EOC they refer to the latter churches by their official title. 

The Fathers had no difficulty in seeing the importance of protecting our brand name. Accept no imitations, nor copyright infringements.

Yes, and a number of EO Fathers were quick to condemn the OO churches of heresy (an opinion you appear to reject).  Are you accepting an "imitation", a "copyright infringement"?       

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2010, 11:50:39 PM »

What I find unbelievable is that we can't call Eastern Catholics uniates, but an apostate can come onto an Orthodox forum and call the Orthodox "Byzantines".  :-/ 

You do realise that this forum was originally called byzantines.net, right?  :D ;D

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2010, 01:50:11 PM »
Hey, do you ever call them "Byzantianists"? Just curious

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2010, 01:52:47 PM »
Duesveritasest,
I found the definition for your term "Romanist".

Ro·man·ist (rm-nst)
n.
1. Offensive One who professes Roman Catholicism.
2. A student of or authority on ancient Roman law, culture, and institutions.

So we have two options here. Either you are using an offensive term to describe Roman Catholics, which is against forum policy, or you are talking about a student of Roman law, culture, and institutions.

Interesting.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »
Duesveritasest,
I found the definition for your term "Romanist".

Ro·man·ist (rm-nst)
n.
1. Offensive One who professes Roman Catholicism.
2. A student of or authority on ancient Roman law, culture, and institutions.

So we have two options here. Either you are using an offensive term to describe Roman Catholics, which is against forum policy, or you are talking about a student of Roman law, culture, and institutions.

Interesting.

This has already been discussed numerous times and because I have made it clear that I do not mean anything inherently offensive by the term, but rather use it to indicate the central role of the See of Rome in your religion, action by the moderators has not occurred, even though they analyzed the situation.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »

Seriously?  ::)

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2010, 09:53:57 PM »

Well if you call us Romanists you really should call them Byzantianists so as not to appear partial.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2010, 02:44:16 AM »

Well if you call us Romanists you really should call them Byzantianists so as not to appear partial.

I am partial. I prefer the Byzantines to you.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2010, 02:52:56 PM »

Well isn't that special. ;)

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2010, 05:06:05 PM »

Birds of a feather flock together.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2010, 08:28:56 PM »

Yes, of course I prefer them because they have deviated from the Apostolic faith much less.

Offline Wyatt

• Archon
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2010, 08:47:19 PM »

Yes, of course I prefer them because they have deviated from the Apostolic faith much less.

That wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I made that statement, but for the sake of being charitable I will stop right there.

Offline ChristusDominus

• High Elder
  • Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2010, 08:53:34 PM »

And yours was the first to deviate.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2010, 09:15:49 PM »

And yours was the first to deviate.

LOL  :P

Yes, holding strictly to the commonly recognized Ephesus I must be deviation!

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »
I can't believe I just read this entire thread!!!

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »
I can't believe I just read this entire thread!!!
That's not time you are getting back.

Offline mattymoo

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2010, 09:06:22 AM »
Never mind, the question originally posed in this reply was already answered above - sorry :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:08:50 AM by mattymoo »