OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:13:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint Vincent De Lerins  (Read 452 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: September 30, 2010, 05:52:45 AM »

Can anyone tell me about the contents of this book...?

Saint Vincent De Lerins

Is it just a translation of the Commonitory (through French to English), or is there more to it? It seems to be significantly longer than it would need to be for just a translation...

Also, other suggestions about where to get information on St. Vincent (or the Commonitory) would be appreciated.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 08:23:55 AM »

Commonitory
Should not that be Commentary?
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »

"Commonitory" is correct. I couldn't find a definition of it on the web, but it clearly is the word used for St. Vincent's text. Knowing the little that I do about St Vincent's teachings, I would assume that the purpose of the book is to outline that which is common to the Catholic church. (Not Roman Catholic. St Vincent lived long before the Great Schism.)

Edit to add: it is available online at http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf211.toc.html, though I can understand why you would want a hard copy.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:57:18 AM by genesisone » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: