OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 05:32:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to say this in Arabic?  (Read 1220 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: September 29, 2010, 07:27:49 PM »

so, there is a foreign exchange student at school from Lebanon.  how do you ask, in the Lebenese dialect of Arabict "what Christian denomination are you?"  He says he's a Christian.  He's very lonely, and there is a Lebanase couple at Church, and I'd like to take him along.  but, I want to know what denom. he is, so I know he'll be comfortable.  I have a feeling he's a Maronite Catholic, but I can't be sure.

thanks!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:35:12 PM »

anta min ayyi Taa'ifah?

That's standard for "What denomination are you?"  More likely to be said "anta min ayyi kaniisah?" "What church are you from?"

My guess is that he would be interested in just seeing fellow Lebanese, especially fellow Christians of whatever stripe.

Mawaarinah Maronite.

Ruum urthudhuks Orthodox

Ruum kaathuuliiik Melchites

protosTAntiiyiin Protestants.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:38:09 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 07:37:34 PM »

anta min ayyi Taa'ifah?

That's standard for "What denomination are you?"  More likely to be said "anta min ayyi kaniisah?" "What church are you from?"

My guess is that he would be interested in just seeing fellow Lebanese, especially fellow Christians of whatever stripe.

yes.  I must admit, I'm a very ignorant American!  I was astounded that he hasn't heard of Halloween.  If he is indeed an Orthodox or Eastern Catholic, that will be fine.  I just don't want to be taking a Baptist to an Orthodox service, unaware of how different it is!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »

anta min ayyi Taa'ifah?

That's standard for "What denomination are you?"  More likely to be said "anta min ayyi kaniisah?" "What church are you from?"

yes.  I must admit, I'm a very ignorant American! 

That you are asking this shows you cant' be that ignorant.

I was astounded that he hasn't heard of Halloween.  If he is indeed an Orthodox or Eastern Catholic, that will be fine.  I just don't want to be taking a Baptist to an Orthodox service, unaware of how different it is!

For some Protestant Lebanese, that may be a problem. Most, however, being such a minority in Lebanon and the Middle East in general, are used to us.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 06:42:54 PM »

well, as it turns out, I misunderstood him.  he now says that he's not a Christian.  He's something called "Druze".  does anyone know about this?  he says that he's still glad to come to Liturgy with me and meet my Lebanese friends. 

so, how different is Orthodoxy from this "Druze" thing?

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 06:52:53 PM »

well, as it turns out, I misunderstood him.  he now says that he's not a Christian.  He's something called "Druze".  does anyone know about this?  he says that he's still glad to come to Liturgy with me and meet my Lebanese friends. 

so, how different is Orthodoxy from this "Druze" thing?
LOL. Very, some would say. They believe that the caliph al-Hakim is God (he tore down the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem)  Casey Kassem (though you may be too young to remember him) was Druze. They are Muslim (although the Muslims do not admit to them), but they get along well enough usually.  It is sort of like Freemasonry (their rituals and beliefs are secret: not even all of them are allowed to see their own scritpure).

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:12:21 PM »

well, he's stoll OK with coming to liturgy.  it really excited me today.  he is the only one I've ever told I'm Orthodox and not had to explain what Orthodoxy was for him to know!  He says that there are many Orthodox in Lebanon.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: