OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:44:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Πάτερ ἡμών read in Greek rate accent.  (Read 945 times)
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« on: April 28, 2011, 03:40:24 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfJoYufKcAc

How does my Greek accent sound?
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 04:52:28 PM »

Pretty good actually! If your are not Greek then your accent is amazing. Just a couple of suggestions (if you don't mind) by a native speaker:
-The sigma is always pronounced as a sigma before a vowel (I noticed you pronounced "βασιλεία" as "βαζιλεία" in a few occasions, that's wrong). On the other hand, you pronounced the sigma in "πειρασμόν" as a zeta which is 100% accurate.
-"Και" (the conjunction) is always palatised. Try pronouncing it as is there's a small (invisible) -i- between the consonant and the vowel. Its not "ke" (like the Spanish que) but "kie".
Other than that, you are pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »

That was really good.

You have good control of your vowel sounds and realize that κ is not the same as k, τ is not the same as t, etc., which a lot of people can't seem to get right.

I thought your video was going to be done in the Erasmian pronunciation, which always makes me a bit homicidal, but was pleasantly surprised.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:18:52 AM »

Pretty good actually! If your are not Greek then your accent is amazing. Just a couple of suggestions (if you don't mind) by a native speaker:
-The sigma is always pronounced as a sigma before a vowel (I noticed you pronounced "βασιλεία" as "βαζιλεία" in a few occasions, that's wrong). On the other hand, you pronounced the sigma in "πειρασμόν" as a zeta which is 100% accurate.
-"Και" (the conjunction) is always palatised. Try pronouncing it as is there's a small (invisible) -i- between the consonant and the vowel. Its not "ke" (like the Spanish que) but "kie".
Other than that, you are pretty good.
Thank you for your compliments. I'm not Greek; I'm American, and I grew up in the US. I've been learning Greek for a year now.
Αγαπώ την ελληνική γλώσσα και την λατρεύω. είναι μια γλώσσα πολύ φανταστική.
αγόρασα ενα βιλβίο του λεξιλόγιου την οποία ελπίζο να φτάσει σύντομα στο ταχυδρομείο για να μάθο αυτή φανταστική γλώσσα.

(on a few occasions*) (as a z a 100* accurately.)( or as a zeta. I'd personally say z (zi) but zeta is perfectly fine too).
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:12:30 AM »

Thank you for your compliments. I'm not Greek; I'm American, and I grew up in the US. I've been learning Greek for a year now.
Αγαπώ την ελληνική γλώσσα και την λατρεύω. είναι μια γλώσσα πολύ φανταστική.
αγόρασα ενα βιλβίο του λεξιλόγιου την οποία ελπίζο να φτάσει σύντομα στο ταχυδρομείο για να μάθο αυτή φανταστική γλώσσα.

(on a few occasions*) (as a z a 100* accurately.)( or as a zeta. I'd personally say z (zi) but zeta is perfectly fine too).
It's not a compliment, but if I may add you cannot learn a language just by its vocabulary! What about grammar or syntax?

PS1: Thanks for the corrections, I meant the Greek letter zeta (ζήτα). Btw I've learned to name z as zed and not zi Wink
PS2: αγόρασα ενα βιβλίο (neuter noun) του λεξιλόγιου (neuter noun; it'd sound more natural if you'd put the stress on the penult: λεξιλογίου) την οποία (feminine pronoun)  Huh->το οποίο (neuter pronoun). Ελπίζο and μάθο are verbs->ελπίζω, μάθω. αυτή φανταστική γλώσσα->αυτήν τη φανταστική γλώσσα (remember, Greek uses the definite article much more often than English does)   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
Tags: Greek Pater imon our father 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: