Author Topic: boat shaped church  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
boat shaped church
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:34:54 PM »
A friend of mine was at St. Antony Monastery on Saturday.  She met a priest there from Riverside who mentioned that his church was shaped like Noah's ark.  I had a hard time visualizing that, but then I think I found it on the internet:

http://www.stminariverside.org/fgallery/1

Very cool.  I'm wondering if this is at all a traditional theme in Coptic church architecture?

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
Re: boat shaped church
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:25:45 PM »
Now this is sparking an old memory in the back of my brain about a small church I once saw in Ireland years and years ago.  It was the Gallarus Oratory.  It's very ancient and shaped like a boat, although it's not nearly as elaborate as the Coptic church above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallarus_Oratory

Maybe the boat shape really was a commonly used form of architecture in early times.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:19:55 AM »
A friend of mine was at St. Antony Monastery on Saturday.  She met a priest there from Riverside who mentioned that his church was shaped like Noah's ark.  I had a hard time visualizing that, but then I think I found it on the internet:

I think that looks awesome :)

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 01:05:03 AM »
Very cool.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 02:34:13 AM »
Looks ever so slightly like Notre Dame en Paris (particularly the back of it, that is).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:34:41 AM by deusveritasest »

Offline ComingHome

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 02:10:33 PM »
According to Rev. Fr. Tadros El-Bakhoumi in Ritual Theology I, this is one of the three traditional shapes of a Coptic church.  The other two are cross and circle (see COEPA website for this reference-- http://www.coepa.org/downDetails.php?pageNum_titleDetails=1&nav=downloads&cat_id=1&subcat_id=23&thrdcat_id=29&totalRows_titleDetails=20.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:10:55 PM by ComingHome »

Offline vasnTearn

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 05:39:53 PM »
According to Rev. Fr. Tadros El-Bakhoumi in Ritual Theology I, this is one of the three traditional shapes of a Coptic church.  The other two are cross and circle (see COEPA website for this reference-- http://www.coepa.org/downDetails.php?pageNum_titleDetails=1&nav=downloads&cat_id=1&subcat_id=23&thrdcat_id=29&totalRows_titleDetails=20.  

When I was in Cairo, I was taken to an old Coptic church (sorry, I don't remember the name) which I was told was built in the shape of Noah's ark.

By the way, what a good library of downloadable books! Thank you for the link!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 05:42:32 PM by vasnTearn »

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »
I was thinking it would be some kind of modernist nightmare but it actually looks pretty good.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Russell

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 02:03:03 PM »
They look Great!
Mathe 24:36