Author Topic: boat shaped church  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
boat shaped church
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:34:54 PM »
A friend of mine was at St. Antony Monastery on Saturday.  She met a priest there from Riverside who mentioned that his church was shaped like Noah's ark.  I had a hard time visualizing that, but then I think I found it on the internet:

http://www.stminariverside.org/fgallery/1

Very cool.  I'm wondering if this is at all a traditional theme in Coptic church architecture?

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
Re: boat shaped church
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:25:45 PM »
Now this is sparking an old memory in the back of my brain about a small church I once saw in Ireland years and years ago.  It was the Gallarus Oratory.  It's very ancient and shaped like a boat, although it's not nearly as elaborate as the Coptic church above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallarus_Oratory

Maybe the boat shape really was a commonly used form of architecture in early times.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:19:55 AM »
A friend of mine was at St. Antony Monastery on Saturday.  She met a priest there from Riverside who mentioned that his church was shaped like Noah's ark.  I had a hard time visualizing that, but then I think I found it on the internet:

I think that looks awesome :)

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 01:05:03 AM »
Very cool.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 02:34:13 AM »
Looks ever so slightly like Notre Dame en Paris (particularly the back of it, that is).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:34:41 AM by deusveritasest »
I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com

Offline ComingHome

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 02:10:33 PM »
According to Rev. Fr. Tadros El-Bakhoumi in Ritual Theology I, this is one of the three traditional shapes of a Coptic church.  The other two are cross and circle (see COEPA website for this reference-- http://www.coepa.org/downDetails.php?pageNum_titleDetails=1&nav=downloads&cat_id=1&subcat_id=23&thrdcat_id=29&totalRows_titleDetails=20.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:10:55 PM by ComingHome »

Offline vasnTearn

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 05:39:53 PM »
According to Rev. Fr. Tadros El-Bakhoumi in Ritual Theology I, this is one of the three traditional shapes of a Coptic church.  The other two are cross and circle (see COEPA website for this reference-- http://www.coepa.org/downDetails.php?pageNum_titleDetails=1&nav=downloads&cat_id=1&subcat_id=23&thrdcat_id=29&totalRows_titleDetails=20.  

When I was in Cairo, I was taken to an old Coptic church (sorry, I don't remember the name) which I was told was built in the shape of Noah's ark.

By the way, what a good library of downloadable books! Thank you for the link!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 05:42:32 PM by vasnTearn »

Online Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »
I was thinking it would be some kind of modernist nightmare but it actually looks pretty good.

Offline Russell

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 02:03:03 PM »
They look Great!
Mathe 24:36