OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 02:41:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Android partners and adultery - is there such a thing?  (Read 201 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: May 10, 2014, 01:08:07 AM »

From the other topics board, the following discussion ensued....

I never imagined Punch as an author of romantic novels.   Shocked

I am afraid that if I wrote a romantic novel and someone was found to enjoy it, they would be locked up as a hazard to society.  I don't think this is the proper forum to discuss if the development of androids would change the definition of adultery  Wink

Adultery is still a religious sin - does anything change if one of the partners is an android?  Discuss....
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:25:32 AM »

I think Tasha Yar was wise in seeking to find out whether the android she was speaking with was 'fully functional.' Surely this would be a very important factor in the discussion as well.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:26:00 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 01:27:47 AM »

I think Tasha Yar was wise in seeking to find out whether the android she was speaking with was 'fully functional.' Surely this would be a very important factor in the discussion as well.

assume the answer is yes

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/would-you-have-sex-with-a-robot-9327888.html
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 03:45:26 AM »

I am saddened that this is not a JamesR thread.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 03:49:07 AM »

I wonder how many other, if any, religious forums boast such grand topics as these.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 04:16:59 AM »

I suppose it really depends on the level of self-awareness and self-determination of said android. If it only has a basic level of programming and pretty much MUST accept, at the very least, the sexual advances of an owner, then I'd say the act would be no different than a married man or woman pleasuring themselves. Should programming reach the level where an android might be considered sentient, and especially if it is capable of reciprocating an emotional attachment, then definitely adultery.

Of course, were an android to be modeled exactly on the human body, and especially a specific human body (say a mass produced 20 something version of Daryl Hannah), we'd be crossing into the line of the Dominical expansion of the definition of adultery.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:09:48 AM »

If the question was "is doing it with a robot a sin", then answer would clearly be yes (I am using the English word sin in the context of imperfection).  Adultery becomes a bit more complicated, and I am sure that a man and a woman would likely see the matter differently.  Sexual relations between men and women involve many aspects.  First there are physical differences.  A woman can only normally make one baby a year, and that could be bad for her health since that does not give a lot of recovery time.  A man can father several in a day for as long as he can produce sperm and not drop from exhaustion (I do know at least one man who was servicing several different women in one session for so long that he ended up in a hospital with a collapsed lung). This sets up some of the ways that one can view adultery.  Historically, a woman is dependent on a man during child bearing and raising. From a man's perspective, a woman and children are an investment that consumes a considerable amount of what he earns with his work.  Leaving out emotional and religious aspects, one could say that an action on the part of a man that reduces his duties and ability to care for the woman that he promised to care for would classify as adultery.  And, a woman causing a man to have to fund and care for a child that is not his own would classify as adultery.  Both are breaking a contract to some extent.  In a monogamous relationship, both of the above would also both physically and emotionally be giving someone outside the relationship what rightfully belongs to the spouse.  Perhaps this is why such actions are called "cheating" since one would be stealing what belongs to the spouse and giving it to someone outside of the relationship.

Where does a sexbot fit in to this?  Assuming that it is a machine without emotion, and assuming that one does not achieve an emotional attachment to the machine, the issues above for the most part are resolved.  The exception would be if a spouse preferred the sexbot to their spouse and robbed the spouse of the attention and affection that they owe them to be with the sexbot.  I would personally consider this to be adultery. However, if my spouse was totally committed to me as a person, gave none of her affection to any other man, satisfied me in the manner required, but needed a 12 inch rubber penis attached to a five horsepower Briggs and Stratton engine (yes, these exist) to reach her own satisfaction, I would have no problem with this and would not consider her to be committing adultery.  Likewise, if she was tired and worn out from the day's work and just wanted a rest, or was suffering from issues unique to women, and I made use of a Superwhore Mk III Android (I don't think these exist yet, but they are working on them), she would not consider me to be having an adulterous relationship (yes, I asked, but you can never trust the "sure, go ahead" given by a woman).

Personally, I think that it is more complicated than this, but it is a start.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: