OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 10:21:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Crosses At Icon Corners  (Read 2173 times) Average Rating: 0
bkovacs

Faith: Byzantine Christian

« on: September 27, 2010, 02:28:42 AM »

For those of you who have wall crosses at your icon corner do you have any pics of them. Trying to get some ideas for my icon corner.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:29:03 AM by bkovacs » Logged

"We knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth, for surely there is no such splendor or beauty anywhere on earth." The Divine Liturgy at Hagia Sophia.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 04:24:22 AM »

For those of you who have wall crosses at your icon corner do you have any pics of them. Trying to get some ideas for my icon corner.

Wall crosses are not really common in icon corners.  I think that converts like them because of their past traditions.

But you need a cross lying on the shelf or table below your icons so that you may kiss it at the end of Evening Prayers.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:37:37 AM »

I do have one. I think that it's an important reminder of Christ's suffering for our sins.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Kokomoka

Faith: Newly converted Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 06:18:45 PM »

Very beautiful!
I'm still learning about Icons and setting up my Icon/Prayer Corner.
I would like to know more about the issue will a wall cross. I've placed my Crucifix (from the Holy Land) above and in the middle and put our Lord and our most Holy Theotokos to each side. I've placed my
new patron saint, St. Elizabeth (Duchess of Russia) below. Is there certain rules I should follow? Any advice would be most
welcome.

In the twilight of life, God will not judge our earthly possessions and human success, but rather how much we have loved. — St. John of the Cross
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 06:47:05 PM »

Here is a photo of my icon corner that I posted on another thread. I put it in the center so that I can venerate it after prayer.

Kokomoka

Faith: Newly converted Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »

Thank you! Its beautiful. I'm still making my way through the site, and I believe I saw it (later) on
one of the other posts.
Thank you again. Please keep me in your prayers. (I feel like I still have one foot in my Catholicism
and one in Orthodoxy.)
Blessings,
   +

In the twilight of life, God will not judge our earthly possessions and human success, but rather how much we have loved. — St. John of the Cross
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:47:35 PM »

Here is a photo of my icon corner that I posted on another thread.

It looks more like an icon room than an icon cornerShocked
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 11:32:29 PM »

In my Icon corner I have my wall cross in the center with an Icon of the Holy Trinity above  and an Icon of Our Lord and the Theotokos on right and left of the cross with another of our lord below and an Icon of my adopted patron St. Seraphim below on a table.

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Quid
Freshly converted rubiks cube ninja

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 12:01:52 AM »

I dont have a cross yet. All of my icons are laminated/paper.

Its kind of sad really.

"Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words."
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »

Its kind of sad really.

Some hermits on Athos have paper icons in their cells.  Also, there is a cheapy icon of the Mother of God going around the States that is miracle-working. It isn't the amount or the quality of Icons that matter. Smiley

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 09:42:16 PM »

Just to echo what Ionnis said, I remember reading once about St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco using paper icons as well.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »

Its kind of sad really.

Some hermits on Athos have paper icons in their cells.  Also, there is a cheapy icon of the Mother of God going around the States that is miracle-working. It isn't the amount or the quality of Icons that matter. Smiley

I've seen a paper icon that wept after being anointed with myrhh from Chicago's weeping icon 22 years ago.  On that same night, there were at least a few other paper icons that also wept.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 01:20:52 AM »

Here is a photo of my icon corner that I posted on another thread.

It looks more like an icon room than an icon cornerShocked

Haha thanks. The icon corner is actually in my room but my room is the whole basement so it really is just a corner. Though I do have icons all over elsewhere in my room as well so perhaps that could work.
jamesdm49

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 08:40:35 AM »

See my reply #37 to another icon corner thread for photos of the analogion (lectern) in my house chapel and the icon corner in my dining room...

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,35553.0.html

David
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:48:45 AM by jamesdm49 » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 09:33:58 AM »

I put a cross at the highest level on the wall. I also have a blessing cross.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags: icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: