OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 02:47:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Validity of baptism  (Read 588 times) Average Rating: 0
maxval

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate

« on: September 26, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »

I have a question.

What happens when a priest stripped of his sacerdotal duties performs a baptism or any other holy mistery that requires a priest? Is the baptism (or other holy mistery) valid or not?

So: is the holy mistery of the holy orders until death or it can be "revoked"?

What is the position in EO and OO?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 10:40:25 AM »

Any Orthodox Christian can perform Baptism so it would be valid, but other sacraments would not. Priesthood can be taken back.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 10:51:16 AM »

Additionally, there is no belief in the EO Church that ordination places an "indelible mark" on the person of the ordained, such as--I believe--has been defined in the Roman Catholic Council of Trent.  One who is ordained a priest can indeed be stripped entirely of his priesthood and be no longer a priest in any way, shape, or form.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:51:33 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:10:22 AM »

I just *bumped* the thread " No Indelible Mark of the Priesthood in Patristic Teaching" so it will be easier to find and study.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 02:47:33 PM »

Is there a difference between being defrocked/deposed and being laitized?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 03:10:41 PM »

No - these are the same things. On the other hand there is a difference between defrocking and suspending. The latter is a ban from a Bishop to perform Priest's duties while one still is a Priest.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 04:23:37 PM »

What happens when a priest stripped of his sacerdotal duties performs a baptism or any other holy mistery that requires a priest? Is the baptism (or other holy mistery) valid or not?

I've heard conflicting views about whether or not Baptism can be legitimately conveyed by a lay person or not.

Anything else cannot be done without a Priest though, I'm pretty sure. It will convey no redeeming effect.

So: is the holy mistery of the holy orders until death or it can be "revoked"?

The Mystery of Holy Orders can be until death or even perhaps unto eternity (this latter part is not at all dogmatic, I've just heard some speculation). But yes, it can most certainly be revoked by the authority of the Church to loose and bind sins.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »

Is there a difference between being defrocked/deposed and being laitized?

It might be possible for a clergyman to be deposed without losing his Holy Orders (not sure here). But, from what I can tell, defrocking indicates a loss of Holy Orders.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 05:34:29 PM »

Sorry, I messed a bit. My poor English   Embarrassed
Tags: Ordination baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: