OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:25:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROCOR OCA and convenience - some advice ?  (Read 2613 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2010, 09:02:03 PM »

The problem with modern man is that they do not want to put any effort into their religion, and want it all handed to them on a silver platter.
Well, the story is that St. John shortened the DL of St. Basil who shortened the DL of St. James, so it would seem modern man isn't the only one, if length of services is what you are getting at.

Interestingly, though, there is no word for "boredom" in ancient Greek, etc., or so I've heard (so could be total BS lol).

ἄλυς

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »

A photograph that is nearly identical to a dream that I had many years ago.  Our future.
Looks like something from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2010, 09:23:11 PM »

A photograph that is nearly identical to a dream that I had many years ago.  Our future.
Looks like something from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

My understanding is that it was taken by a group of guys that play S.T.A.L.K.E.R with Air-soft guns.  This particular group is from Finland, I believe.  I guess that it is pretty popular in Europe.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2010, 09:26:46 PM »

Something for everyone.  May it ever be so.

Weren't you just complaining about modern man?

What's your point?  There has been diversity in the Orthodox Church in the US for quite a while.  Since when has maintaining the status quo been modern?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2010, 11:33:53 PM »

Well, let's not forget the "about an hour away" part, mm-kay?

Hmm. If it is an hour away, that adds two hours round trip, whereas the ROCOR is 20 minutes round trip, no?

The shortest Vespers I have ever been to (OCA) was about 40 minutes. I think the minimum would be a half an hour. So the total time set aside for worship going to the the OCA is 2 1/2 hours+.

I don't recall ever being to a ROCOR All Night Vigil (I'm assuming that is what all ROCOR parishes do for Sat., but correct me if I am wrong).  I used to go to the OCA Cathedral for All Night Vigil and I seem to remember it being around just under 2 hours or so. So how much would be set aside for worship going to the ROCOR parish?  How long does the All Night Vigil, if that is the universal practice of all their parishes, take?

Some ROCOR parishes do All Night Vigil every weekend, some just do Vespers. Vigil usually takes something like 2.5 hours. I'm guessing the parish in question is doing
All Night Vigil on Satirday evenings.

Keep in mind two hours of time spent going to the OCA church is spent driving in a car. As someone who commutes to church an hour each way, I can testify it's not fun and that the time spent in the car definitely sucks compared to time spent in church lol.

We travel an hour toand from church, try to get a dvd of canons before communion to play and pray enroute, it makes the travel time more productive.

THOMAS

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2010, 02:13:05 PM »

try to get a dvd of canons before communion to play and pray enroute, it makes the travel time more productive.

THOMAS

This is a good one:

http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CD0103
Tags: ROCOR OCA and convenience 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: