OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 04:52:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JLatimer, No Avatar, and the Iconoclast Heresy.  (Read 1143 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« on: September 23, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »

The iconoclast heresy is the heresy in which the veneration of images of Jesus Christ and the Saints is forbidden. Thus, in many protestant churches that have succumb to Iconoclasm, you will see bare walls with no icons, religious pictures, or statues.

How does this relate to JLatimer's Avatar or lack thereof? Well it is clear that because he refuses to post an icon or Christian image that he agrees with protestant iconoclasm. We must pray that he is freed of this vile heresy and is reconciled to the Orthodox Chruch.

Wink And if you can't tell, I am TOTALLY kidding.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:07:00 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:00:41 PM »

laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:01:01 PM »

Does that wink eye mean you're kidding about kidding? I think you're serious.  Grin

I'm going to need this.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:06:01 PM »

laugh Wink

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:24:06 PM »

How ironic, Papist, that you have as your new avatar an image of Pentecost showing a large dove as the Holy Spirit.  Wink  laugh laugh

The Holy Spirit was not revealed in the form of a dove at Pentecost, but as tongues of fire. It was only at Christ's Baptism that the Spirit was manifest in the form of a dove, and it is in these icons only that this motif can be used.

LBK the staunch iconodule (who does not use an avatar on this forum  Shocked laugh laugh)
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:30:09 PM »

laugh laugh laugh

Well played...

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 04:24:25 AM »

How does this relate to JLatimer's Avatar or lack thereof? Well it is clear that because he refuses to post an icon or Christian image that he agrees with protestant iconoclasm. We must pray that he is freed of this vile heresy and is reconciled to the Orthodox Chruch.

Totally opposite. Not showing the required respect for icons, like using them as avatars, might be considered as iconoclasm. Not doing so - not.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »

Totally opposite. Not showing the required respect for icons, like using them as avatars, might be considered as iconoclasm. Not doing so - not.
Well, Papist, what say you to that? Wink
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:29:27 PM by JLatimer » Logged

So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »

Well, papist
I disagree. Wink

peccatorum
Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus

Faith: roman catholic
Jurisdiction: Brazil

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 02:40:37 PM »

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes Tongue laugh angel

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy;
Blessed are the pure in the heart, for they shall see God".
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 03:08:30 PM »

The iconoclast heresy is the heresy in which the veneration of images of Jesus Christ and the Saints is forbidden.

How does one venerate an avatar?

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 03:09:57 PM »

The iconoclast heresy is the heresy in which the veneration of images of Jesus Christ and the Saints is forbidden.

Good question. But Iconoclasm not only forbids the venerations of Icons, but also their use in general.

bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »

Interestingly, there are those who would say Icons should not be used as avatars at all, for that very reason. I once heard Fr Thomas Hopko discuss this perspective. Since Icons are made to be venerated, how do you venerate an icon of Christ on the back of a priest's vestment?  How do you venerate an image on a screen? Is it acceptable to delete an image of an icon from a hard drive? Should icons be put on the covers of books, perhaps even defaced with text? What about on posters and advertisements that get thrown away?

All interesting questions that only have arisen in an age where icons can be duplicated in countless formats and used in countless ways.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »

Good question. But Iconoclasm not only forbids the venerations of Icons, but also their use in general.

Actually the iconoclasts weren't always very consistent. Sometimes they said images are okay, but for instructional purposes only, so they have to be put up where people can't venerate them. Sometimes they said no images of saints, just Christ and His Mother. Sometimes no images except the Cross. Sometimes no images whatsoever, like Muslims.

It seems to me the main thing that really distinguishes iconodules from iconoclasts is the "-dule" part. We in the Orthodox Tradition are not merely iconophiles but iconodules; we venerate icons; we do not just use them for instructional or decorative purposes. We have them so that they can be venerated. Icons are meant to be used in worship, not put on t-shirts, coffee cups, etc.

So yes this is a silly conversation in a way, but it contains important things as well.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 03:42:37 PM »

^ Actually, I intended this whole converasation to be silly in the first place. It was a light-hearted response to your thread about my avatar.  Grin

JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »

^ Actually, I intended this whole converasation to be silly in the first place. It was a light-hearted response to your thread about my avatar.  Grin

I know you did (hence the "so yes"). I was agreeing with your statement over at the other thread about silliness.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 03:56:59 PM »

I know you did (hence the "so yes"). I was agreeing with your statement over at the other thread about silliness.

Oh, no. You two aren't going to hug, right?

What a buzz kill.

I'm going to need this.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »

Oh, no. You two aren't going to hug, right?

What a buzz kill.

Hug a graceless heretic? Never.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »

Hug a graceless heretic? Never.

Awww. But we are sooooooo huggable.  Cheesy

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: