OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 05:07:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commentary on the Psalms by Theodoret of Cyrus  (Read 3144 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« on: September 24, 2010, 12:53:50 PM »

Is anyone familiar with the Commentary on the Psalms by Theodoret of Cyrus?  I've really been keeping up with my psalter readings lately (Thanks be to God!) and would like to supplement them with some extra study using patristic commentary.  I would love to get the Grace from Grace volume edited by J. Manley, but it's out of print and pretty expensive to get a hold of nowadays. 

I would appreciate any thoughts on Theodoret's commentary and any other sources people have found useful in studying the psalms.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:58:19 PM »

I have them, translated by Robert Hill of Catholic University of America press. He's what I would call a "hostile" translator, in that his intros don't really respect, IMHO, patristic commentary, often charging them with inaccuracy since they were not as enlightened by modern knowledge as he is, but the translations are good. Blessed Theodoret's commentaries on each psalm are substantial, so you should be able to learn a lot.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: