OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:42:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Belgian bishops want debate on priest celibacy  (Read 665 times) Average Rating: 0
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« on: September 20, 2010, 08:38:05 PM »

2 Belgian bishops want debate on priest celibacy
BRUSSELS - Two Belgian bishops openly questioned mandatory celibacy for Roman Catholic priests, rekindling a debate Monday within the scandal-hit church.
Full Story here  

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100920/ap_on_re_eu/eu_church_abuse_celibacy

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:57:00 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »

BRUSSELS - Two Belgian bishops openly questioned mandatory celibacy for Roman Catholic priests, rekindling a debate Monday within the scandal-hit church.
Full Story here  

Roll Eyes

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 01:41:51 AM »

Full Story here  

Roll Eyes

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 02:12:50 AM »

Right, because that's the core source of their problems.  Roll Eyes

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 02:20:22 AM »

Full Story here  

Stashko, you make this guy look really smart:

Bozo the clown
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:25:14 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 03:10:03 AM »

Full Story here  

Bozo the clown

Nice try trying to deflect the topic to me ,,,from where it really counts and the evil done by your religious to the innocent Children....Either comment on the thread or move along..don't derail it ... Grin
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:10:45 AM by stashko » Logged

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 01:24:13 PM »

Full Story here  

Bozo the clown

Nice try trying to deflect the topic to me ,,,from where it really counts and the evil done by your religious to the innocent Children....Either comment on the thread or move along..don't derail it ... Grin

Dear Stash,

This time I am squarely on your side.  I think that it would be better to explain that celibacy is not the core of the problem but that the priests of Belgium are using this as an excuse to raise an issue that is more important to them than the reality of sexual abusers.  In fact, the fact that it is so widely known that there are more married sex abusers than single ones in the world should tell us something about the level of caring these men actually have for the victims.  It is very small when compared to a desire that they have to allow priests to marry.

One has to wonder about men who know that the priesthood is all male and all celibate in the ordinary course of the Roman rite and yet they present themselves for ordination than then whine and complain.  And even they are in a minority.

So again a small minority, both sexual predators and unmarried men who are discontent, overshadow the reality in the Catholic Church that there are very very good men who are celibate and continent and do not think that is anything particularly noteworthy because that is what they agreed to when they agreed to be fully Christian, fully Catholic and ordained in the Roman rite.

All these good men's lives and work are eclipsed by a few human swine and some whiners who apparently either changed their minds after ordination or decided to use ordination to launch their campaigns to alter the great traditions of the Roman rite.

We need to be careful in our zeal to promote goodness and healing for the victims of sexual predation that we do not fall into the traps that turn attention away from the reality of their circumstances and their needs...when in reality do not truthfully include the need for millions of dollars.

Most of them need the gift of grace and spiritual healing that will give the psychological relief to those things that haunt them most deeply and profoundly.

But that is the LAST thing we talk about, isn't it Stash?

Than you for not using that horrid leering emoticon.  Please don't take it up again in these discussions.  It is too jarring when combined with this particular topic.

I'll tell you honestly.  One of the after effects for me personally as a one time victim of abuse is that when I close my eyes sometimes I see a huge face just leering and grimacing at me.  It is part of the negative thoughts of post traumatic stress syndrome.   So that when you put that fact on this topic I want to run screaming out of the room, but I do not because it is important to give people some idea of what is real in all of this and what is not as real or as important.

In Christ,

Mary

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: