OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 01:12:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vestment Question  (Read 3359 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: September 20, 2010, 01:38:22 AM »

What types of vestments are those deacons or priests wearing in this photo? They look kind of like the old "Cross" vestments often depicted  in icons, but different? Are they a part of Serbian tradition? Likewise, do priests still wear the other style of "Cross" vestments?
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 04:11:17 AM »

Common in Serbia..  The holy Patriarch Pavle (God rest him) wore such vestments a lot of the time.   They are simple and inexpensive and I like them a lot.  Besides the connection they make with the ancient Church and the icons depicting bishops, they make their own "fashion statement" about the frugality with church money which the clergy should exemplify.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:46:43 AM »

So how much would a vestment set like that cost in comparison with others?

Also, do Serbian clergy additionally wear the actual design that is found in icons? Recently someone posted an Old Believer bishop or priest who was wearing that exact thing. Is it limited to them?
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 10:07:25 AM »

Also, do Serbian clergy additionally wear the actual design that is found in icons? Recently someone posted an Old Believer bishop or priest who was wearing that exact thing. Is it limited to them?

I have seen several Greek bishops with "polystavron" vestments, just like or very similar to what one finds in late medieval Icons. Once upon a time, only the Ecumenical Patriarch and certain high-ranking Metropolitans could wear such a vestment on high feast days. I believe the Ecumenical Patriarch still does so at the appointed times.

Nowadays, variations on that theme (of which your original photo is but one example) are common for deacons, priests, and bishops. I've seen different versions in Greece, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Turkey, and Mt. Athos.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:08:40 AM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:15:49 AM »

A bit off-topic: why no 7-candles candlestick on the altar?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 12:01:52 PM »

The Photo Looks like it's The Serbian Holy Resurrection Cathedral at I90 kennedy express way and Canfield Road,  that has  the Byzantine Mosaic Ikonastasis really beautifull....Where's the Processional Cross and the Fans that suppose to be there,Plus what mike pointed out....

I don't see any Deacons .....They Must be In Front of the Ikonastasis....I do see His Grace Bishop Longin.....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:20:35 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 12:11:55 PM »

There is a Deacon on the far right.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:17:15 PM »

Oh!...Are You sure......It's Hard to Tell.....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »

That's more common with the Russians I think (maybe the Greeks too?), but not that common in other parts of the Orthodox world, such as the areas of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire, for instance.

JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »

You won't likely see exactly like in the icons anytime soon (like in most pictures of St Basil, for example) because bishops used to wear phelonia (chasubles), but now just stikhars I think it's called...

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 12:25:45 PM »

That's more common with the Russians I think (maybe the Greeks too?), but not that common in other parts of the Orthodox world, such as the areas of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire, for instance.

When I was a Altar Boy ,they always Had the Seven candle Holders on each side of the Altar......This was at The St.Sava Serbian Orthodox Monastery in Libertyville Ill....Plus the Processional cross and Fans...

Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »

Where's the Processional Cross and the Fans that suppose to be there

There's no concept of supposed to be there.  Yes, they are often found there in some churches but other arrangements are very common.  Some churches have the fans immediately to the east of the Holy Table, with or without the processional Cross in the middle.  Some have both the Processional Cross (to the right) and a processional icon of the Mother of God (to the left) between the fans.  Others have the processional Cross and icon alone and the fans are kept somewhere else entirely, perhaps off to one side and not as part of a display.  In large churches with more space in the altar, it is not uncommon for there to be an arrangement of processional Cross, icons, and fans somewhere between the Holy Table and the High Place, but not immediately to the east of the Holy Table, so you wouldn't necessarily see them in a close-up photograph of the Holy Table such as the one in the OP.  Here, for instance, is Christ the Saviour in Moscow.  There's the Cross and processional icon, as well as the pedestals for the trikiri-dikiri, but not a fan in sight.

Not that hard.  Wink  He's standing in the deacon's position and wearing the archdiaconal/protodiaconal orar.

M

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 04:58:46 PM »

Our parish often uses vestments like those. IE:
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 05:45:39 PM »

It's quite easy to tell. There is clearly a deacon standing there with his orarion.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 06:11:07 PM »

The giveaway is that he has his orarion sitting on his shoulder.  There are 2 clergy with the same fabric/pattern on their vestments (the two to the far right of the pic) - the one on the left is a priest (his vestment on the outside is a phelonion, which is hanging off his body in the same way as the priest next to him), and the one on the right is the deacon, with an orarion hanging off his left shoulder.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 08:05:11 PM »

You won't likely see exactly like in the icons anytime soon (like in most pictures of St Basil, for example) because bishops used to wear phelonia (chasubles), but now just stikhars I think it's called...

The vestment a bishop wears is a sakkos.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 08:32:12 PM »

The giveaway is that he has his orarion sitting on his shoulder.  There are 2 clergy with the same fabric/pattern on their vestments (the two to the far right of the pic) - the one on the left is a priest (his vestment on the outside is a phelonion, which is hanging off his body in the same way as the priest next to him), and the one on the right is the deacon, with an orarion hanging off his left shoulder.

Oh Yes I see it know, Had cigarette smoke in my eyes earlier ...Thanks everyone from pointing it out...... Grin
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:40:39 PM by stashko » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 09:42:42 PM »

Our parish often uses vestments like those. IE:

So, you're in Emmaus, PA? That's about an hour from where I live.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »

Huh... Nazareth, Emmaus, Bethlehem... Ancient Israel in Eastern PA!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 01:01:23 PM »

The vestment a bishop wears is a sakkos.

Right. Thanks.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 04:41:18 PM »

At least they are not fighting amongst themselves as much as the ancient Israelites--no daggers and such (although I do recall the Serb priest-pc pres encounter with a gun a few years back  Sad  ).   
Father H
Archon

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 04:44:45 PM »

When I was a Altar Boy ,they always Had the Seven candle Holders on each side of the Altar......This was at The St.Sava Serbian Orthodox Monastery in Libertyville Ill....Plus the Processional cross and Fans...

Right, we have an image of heavenly worship from the book of Revelation--7 candles before the throne.   However, this has not always been universally so.  For example, Bulgakov, I believe in his Kniga states that "at least 4" should be on/before the throne/holy table. 
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 06:42:22 PM »

Right, we have an image of heavenly worship from the book of Revelation--7 candles before the throne.   However, this has not always been universally so.  For example, Bulgakov, I believe in his Kniga states that "at least 4" should be on/before the throne/holy table. 

Thanks Fr. I do remember now Of the things I mentioned  or the seven candle holders on each side were actually not on the Altar,  but on a separate stand pushed against the back of the Altar..with holes to insert the processional cross pole and fans.. And enough room  for the Candle holders as well....Its sort of odd to see it another way minus the things mentioned when one is used to seeing them .....Hopefully this isn't a sign of more changes to come ,where  bare minimum is better..... Angry

Father H
Archon

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 07:21:10 PM »

^Well, I have a seven-branched.  Can't speak for the others. 
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »

Does anybody know where such polystavron vestments, or the fabric from which they are made, may be had?

Many thanks.

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »

Does anybody know where such polystavron vestments, or the fabric from which they are made, may be had?

Many thanks.

Try: EasternChristianSupply.Biz
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »

Several Yrs.Back Some one Was Aiming, and Shot A Gun at the Romainian Priest ,At the Romainian cathedral located On North central Ave. here in chicago.....It's Been a while since the Incident ,Can't remember If it Was thur the church door, or the Parish House......But it did Happen........

At least they are not fighting amongst themselves as much as the ancient Israelites--no daggers and such (although I do recall the Serb priest-pc pres encounter with a gun a few years back  Sad  ).    
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:45:50 PM by stashko » Logged

BigMike617

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Carpatho Russian Orthodox

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »

Well they look like vestments worn typically by churches of the Hellenic or Greek Tradition mostly of course the Greek,Antiochian,Romanian,Albanian,Carpatho Russian,etc churches use this style the SLavic churches use the high back style I would say that it's a Greek style vestment
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 08:04:17 PM »

The Greek Style Vestments Are Better Fitting .....The High Back,ones just Don't look like they fit the priest right........ Grin

Well they look like vestments worn typically by churches of the Hellenic or Greek Tradition mostly of course the Greek,Antiochian,Romanian,Albanian,Carpatho Russian,etc churches use this style the SLavic churches use the high back style I would say that it's a Greek style vestment

ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »

The cross vestments are not uncommon, but most vestments are solid-color.
Tags: vestments 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: