OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 07:03:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Night Vigil Abbreviations  (Read 531 times) Average Rating: 0
Chtets Ioann

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Diocese of Canada

« on: September 20, 2010, 12:36:53 AM »

I've been in the Church Abroad for a few years now, and at my parish we do Vigil in full, without abbreviations. When I went to a few other Church Abroad parishes for visits I noticed some abbreviations where made (Stihira at Lord I have cried, Apostiha, Praises, Canons, so on). Some parishes abbreviated more, some less. My question is, how does one decide to abbreviate? Is there a standard book out there (sort of like a Typicon) that explains how to abbreviate?

Rd. Ioannis
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:37:15 AM by Chtets Ioann » Logged
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:05:52 AM »

In my experience, some of the abbreviations often seen in ROCOR vigils are:

* not repeating the vespers stikhera at Lord, I have cried and the Apostikha where normally indicated, unless the total number of verses sung/chanted come to fewer than four.

* where more than two canons are appointed at Matins (such as at a Saturday night vigil, or a weekday feast of lower rank, which would normally include a resurrectional canon (Saturday night) from the Okhtoikh, one or two canons to the Mother of God, and one or two canons to the saint or feast), two or three troparia might be sung from the appointed canons for the Resurrection and the Mother of God, and most or all of the canon(s) to the saint or feast. In these cases, the festal irmos only is sung.

* Katavasiy are only sung at the end of odes 3, 6, 8 and 9.

* Repeated verses at the Praises are often only sung once, unless the abbreviation would reduce them to fewer than four (as for Vespers).

Hope this helps.  Smiley

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:32:56 AM »

There is an official service book, in English, for the All Night Vigil according to the ROCOR.  There is also a matching Priest's Book.  It has been my experience that this is followed in the parish where I have attended Vigil.  Are you saying that the services have been abbreviated even from this? 

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Chtets Ioann

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Diocese of Canada

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »

No, just the stuff sung by the choir... the structure remains the same.
Tags: ROCOR 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: