OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 08:43:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joel Osteen  (Read 4690 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2012, 01:32:52 PM »

LOL pp nice post.

Yeah that Osteen reality show sounds good, fakery and all. Am I the only one who cannot stand his wife?

Was she the one who got in trouble for pitching a fit on a plane?
One has to ask why she even took a commercial plane when I'm sure the Osteens probably have a fleet of private jets.
From religionnewsblog.com:

Osteen lives a much different life.

He has not taken a salary from his Houston megachurch for two years. He owns one house — the same one he and his wife, Victoria, have lived in for 13 years — and until recently he drove a 9-year-old car he inherited from his late father. Osteen pays his own hotel bills, and there is no private jet.
“I never preach a message on money,” he said. “I do believe that God wants us to be blessed, to have good marriages, to have peace in our minds, to have health, to have money to pay our bills. I think God wants us to excel. But everyone isn’t going to be rich — if we’re talking about money.”
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:34:50 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Stepan

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »

LOL pp nice post.

Yeah that Osteen reality show sounds good, fakery and all. Am I the only one who cannot stand his wife?

Was she the one who got in trouble for pitching a fit on a plane?
One has to ask why she even took a commercial plane when I'm sure the Osteens probably have a fleet of private jets.

He has not taken a salary from his Houston megachurch for two years. He owns one house — the same one he and his wife, Victoria, have lived in for 13 years — and until recently he drove a 9-year-old car he inherited from his late father. Osteen pays his own hotel bills, and there is no private jet.
“I never preach a message on money,” he said. “I do believe that God wants us to be blessed, to have good marriages, to have peace in our minds, to have health, to have money to pay our bills. I think God wants us to excel. But everyone isn’t going to be rich — if we’re talking about money.”

That is admirable if true. Nevertheless, even if he is on the up and up in regards to finances and such, he isn't Orthodox and his teachings pale in comparison to 2,000 years of Orthodoxy.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2012, 04:23:50 PM »

Interesting. I'm ashamed to say that this surprises me--a sign of my prejudice.  Undecided

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Fotina02

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2012, 05:32:37 PM »

Okay I'm getting my posts raked over pretty hard here but I will try this again.... without the quotes  Roll Eyes
I am describing the Church as "one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church;" I am not sure this is redundant as it gives it definition but I guess this is assumed being both orthodox.
But I'm afraid I missed WHO is the church?  The Holy Martyrs, the Saints, the "present" and "past" members of her body, and this includes me.  

The Saints have gone before me, marking the "quicksand" as my sure destruction, showing me with the light of Scripture the path which is safe, warning me against the temptations of other paths and where they lead.  

I may challenge some teachings, but in all humility.  This is what I meant by defering to my preist.  I have asked him what is meant by this or that and how does that fit in with this scripture or that practice, as it seems contradictory.  But the Church holds the Truth, I may read what It has written over the ages and find many great teachings, if I disagree with what is canonical, I am errant and (I believe) considered a heretic,  If it is non-canonical I do not necessarily have to agree, but I am warned not to create division by pressing my point of view.  

I meant by being more careful of recent writings as the language can be misrepresented.  As time passes someone may point differences or inconsistencies which were unintended or errant, these will be clarified by the Church.  I have enjoyed more of these "newer" writings  than other "older" writings, 'The Mystery of the Church' by  Professor William Bush is one of my favorites.

The difference is, I do not need to understand, and sometimes I cannot understand, perhaps later I will, perhaps never. My understanding has nothing to do with truth.  Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Life. Christ  imparted all authority to the Church.  I must submit to it.  I cannot submit to myself, this is the blind leading the blind.

So how can I know the Church has the fullness of truth? I cannot except through faith.  

Some one can drop a book of truths on my lap but I would twist and turn those truths to fit my thinking.  Could I possibly grasp some of it's truth? Yes, possibly. Could I possibly stand next to one who participates in the very body which put this book of truths together. How about one who has used the practices and traditions of those who compiled the original writings of the book because they were taught this by people who walked, talked, prayed, fasted, baptised,etc with those who wrote the original writings ? Who would be better to listen too? Person A , who had the book dropped on their lap. Person B who participates in the Body, or Person C who has been so influenced by this book and these traditions that he diplays it like a cloak, something he wears rather than practices?  

I am extremely cautious of TV evangelists. If we lived in Christianized Countries the popular message may be Christian. If it makes it to Media in my country, it concerns me.  I have read some C.S. Lewis, Bonhoeffer etc. but during my time as catechumen and since have found no need to return, although I admit listening to audio of "Chronicles of Narnia" (though I heard the minimalists are trying to make C.S. Lewis a saint [ Grin Grin joking Grin Grin]) .  

The Church is more than the intellectual absorption of material, it is the living of it. As I live it, I begin to grasp its truths.  I do not wait till I understand to start practicing it. I cross myself, confess, take Comunion, fast, pray and so on because these lead to spiritual health.  The desert Fathers may well have errent teachings, but they also have spent alot more time living these and other practices of the church and been helped by them.  My biggest struggle is putting down all these great books that tell me to live it and do my morning ... daily prayers, and recommended fasts.  So if anything I struggle with being a minamalist, in a different way.

Yikes, I really don't want to see the responses to this.  Where you see things I am saying that are wrong or need caution please explain, answering with questions leaves me dangling, just cut the rope already !

Aren't hazings illegal in Orthodoxy Huh
Actually, I find it better to ask questions if I don't understand someone clearly than to formulate my own often errant interpretation of what the other person is saying. Wink Now that you have explained your position more clearly, I have no need to ask you any more questions at this moment.

The only response I would give is that if the Church is to be discerning, and if you are a member of that Church, then it follows logically that you must also work to be discerning--you can't just shut off your brain and leave it at the door when you walk into the building.

Is discernment a function of brain activity?
Searching_for_Christ

Faith: Anglo-Catholic inquirer

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2012, 12:39:23 AM »

Joel preaches a false gospel, and hints at other paths to God outside of Christ.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 02:09:46 AM »

"Speaking as a Christian, I find the Apostle Paul appealing and the apostle Peale appalling." -- Adlai Stevenson

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »

Interesting. I'm ashamed to say that this surprises me--a sign of my prejudice.  Undecided

I have heard similar reports. I’ll one up you on the shame of prejudice  Sad Sad  as even hearing such I have a raised eyebrow of skepticism. Lord have mercy on me a sinner.

I know a couple of people that really like this guy and proclaim he has helped change their lives for the better. That would seem for the Good. I typically avoid T.V. evangelist like the plague but listened to the majority of one of his sermons once. It was a feel good sermon ‘not letting the world steal the Joy of Jesus’ type thing. I wouldn’t say it was ‘Bible based’ as I do not recall much Scriptural reference. To be fair I can’t say I heard any false counsel either. (Would I have been able to recognize it even if there though?) To me it seemed like more of a motivational self help lecture of sort. In that respect it was nice. He certainly possesses the charisma and talent to do that type thing. If he is changing lives for the good then Glory be to God. The question of weather he is leading people to Christ though? As wonderful as changing lives is, could it be a distraction from Truth? Worst yet a wolf in sheep’s clothing? I do not know enough of his theology to speculate. May God be with us!       

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »

I find her to be insufferable.

He's a scum bag charlatan just like the rest of the big televangelists. I cant stand any of them. But Osteen just makes me think of this guy:

PP

Olsteen certainly has the white shiny teeth to match.  "buy my board game"

Tags: Joel Osteen 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: