OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 06:33:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protestant rebaptisms  (Read 1603 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2014, 01:32:16 PM »

what I'm not clear on.  Are these two "different" baptisms?  Or two different ways of speaking of the same thing?

They are "two different ways of speaking of the same thing", in my personal opinion.

Thanks.  I'm just trying to learn here since I'm not very familiar with Protestant theologies, I don't know that I have anything to contribute.  I appreciate your answers. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Eruvande

Faith: Anglican

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2014, 05:41:09 PM »

I was baptized by 'sprinkling' or pouring when I was 17. I joined a cult who insisted I be baptized. Some years later I attended a baptist church and was convinced that I needed to be 'properly baptized', not by sprinkling, or by a cult, so was baptized again, this time by full immersion. I hope that at least one of these baptisms actually was appropriate!!

What was the cult?

sorry, missed this the first time round. It was the Jesus Army.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 09:34:52 PM »

what I'm not clear on.  Are these two "different" baptisms?  Or two different ways of speaking of the same thing?

They are "two different ways of speaking of the same thing", in my personal opinion.

How can they be? One is in the name of Jesus only, the other is in the name of the Holy Trinity.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2014, 11:57:21 PM »

If a person receives a sacred sacrament of baptism ie Trinintarian Baptism, any attempt to re-baptize becomes a useless jesture at least in my understanding of "One baptism for the forgiveness of sin".   IOW, it has no power to repeat the same act as before.... 

My paternal grandfather was cradle Orthodox and put his family in schism during a bitter congregational split in the 1940s. He almost joined Baptist & then the 7th Day Adventists but refused their demand to be "baptized" into their groups. Although he remained bitter towards the Orthodox Church, he supported my grandmother's confession & return to Orthodoxy.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Anna.T
Bond-slave to Christ Jesus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox - Glory to God!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2014, 12:33:17 AM »

I've been in a LOT of Protestant churches, and seen a lot of variation.

Even when you say "Baptist" ... there are so many kinds, they can have very different ways of approaching it.

I've seen churches that baptize only to "correct" a deficient baptism (infant baptism or sprinkling).

Ones that require baptism as a show of membership to a particular congregation.

Ones that allow baptism for "rededication" at the desire of the one being baptized.

Ones that will re-baptise either Trinitarian or Jesus-name because the other was done.

I've seen churches that bring in a celebrated pastor or evangelist and he will baptize everyone who wants to be baptized (whether they have been or not - and generally everyone has been) - just so they can be baptized by that person, or participate in a "baptism-party" with many others getting baptized.

I once attended an outstanding play for Pentecost at a UPC church, and people were baptized as part of the play. Then after the play, lots of audience members came up to "be baptized" - LOTS of water splashing around everywhere, and the one doing the baptizing was a layman.

Many churches are very careful and don't treat it casually. Others will offer baptisms at the drop of a hat (the ones I have seen do this the most are Pentecostal and non-denominationals) - and some people can easily be baptized 10 times.

I've been baptized more than once, but I'm not sure if any were Trinitarian by a member of the clergy or not ... I need to speak with Father about it soon and see what they want to do.

But Protestants are ALL OVER the place with how they approach it.

Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: