OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:28:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Are you Catholic or Christian?"  (Read 2694 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: September 19, 2010, 07:59:12 PM »

Hello, All.  Christ is in our midst! 

at school, no one knows about Orthodoxy.  when they see me reading religous books about lives of the saints, spiritual fathers, etc.  they will ask "so, are you Catholic or Christian?"  at first, I'm rather dumb struck that they don't consider Roman Catholics Christian...

how would you answer this, if it were asked by a high schooler who had only heard of Catholicism and "Christianity" (Protestantism)?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »

I just say, "yes." As it is so not an either/or question, then try to be very patient with all the ignorance, assumptions and the TON of misinformation they seem to be so caught up in.

I NEVER argue. . . If I can educate gracefully and in peace, fine. . .if not, then I exit the conversation as gently as I can. 
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »

"Interesting you asked. Because 'catholic' is a Greek word meaning 'according to the whole'. Have you ever met a true follower who was not made whole again by Christ?"  Wink

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:43:28 PM »

at school, no one knows about Orthodoxy.  when they see me reading religous books about lives of the saints, spiritual fathers, etc.  they will ask "so, are you Catholic or Christian?"  at first, I'm rather dumb struck that they don't consider Roman Catholics Christian...

how would you answer this, if it were asked by a high schooler who had only heard of Catholicism and "Christianity" (Protestantism)?

I would say both! Then I would recite the part from the Nicene/Constantinople 1 creed to them.

And I believe in One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church

Then I would ask them that if the people at Nicea and Constinople 1 weren't Christian.......then where were they? Did they all vanish when Saint John died only to be re-created back into existence in modern times in North America?

This is what I would say!

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:58:24 PM »

Catholic or Christian?  Why the false dichotomy?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 09:13:23 PM »

at first, I'm rather dumb struck that they don't consider Roman Catholics Christian...

Well actually, in an Orthodox sense, nobody who is outside the Church is really a Christian in quite the same sense.

"Both". I think it would catch them off guard, then get their attention, and then would lead into a conversation where you could really provide a full answer.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 09:16:29 PM »

I would say ,for the Protestants It's confusing ,When A catholic Talks it's about the pope,and not much about what Christ said, but what the Pope said...I could understand where there coming from.....The Pope said This and That..... Grin

Even a Catholic Nun preached to me once not about Christ, but about the pope and what he said ,She said since im not under the pope, Im going to hell....That's when I was younger..... Grin
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:23:26 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »

Even a Catholic Nun preached to me once,She said since im not under the pope Im going to hell....That's when I was younger..... Grin

And that makes you grin, why?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 09:20:52 PM »

To this one I always say that Catholics are Christians.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »

Even a Catholic Nun preached to me once,She said since im not under the pope Im going to hell....That's when I was younger..... Grin

Because it was funny,and i didn't believe her.... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 11:15:32 PM »

I agree that "both" is the best answer, as it is the Truest, and it might get the inquirer to think.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 01:42:09 AM »

I agree that "both" is the best answer, as it is the Truest, and it might get the inquirer to think.
Yes, you are right. I agree that both is the best answer, but, nevertheless,  I always say that I am a Catholic and not a Christian, just to see the reaction.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 01:47:18 AM »

...I always say that I am a Catholic and not a Christian, just to see the reaction.

You know what, that's probably the best answer possible. I'm absolutely taking that one.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 06:05:57 AM »

Kinda per Bill Hicks:

"During the Gulf War I was in the unenviable position of being for the war but against the troops."

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 01:51:53 PM »

When A catholic Talks it's about the pope,and not much about what Christ said, but what the Pope said
What a stupid statement. That's not even remotely true. I have been Catholic all my life, and what you are saying has NEVER been my experience. I think you just like making stuff up.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 04:14:57 PM »

When A catholic Talks it's about the pope,and not much about what Christ said, but what the Pope said
What a stupid statement. That's not even remotely true. I have been Catholic all my life, and what you are saying has NEVER been my experience. I think you just like making stuff up.

Maybe your the exception, i don't know..But most catholics do ,even One depaul university student preached  pope to me just recently, and his prayer intentions for the pope....... Grin
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:16:27 PM by stashko » Logged

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »

Maybe your the exception, i don't know..But most catholics do ,even One depaul university student preached pope me just recently, and his prayer intentions for the pope....... Grin
You are definitely making stuff up. Every where I go, Catholics preach Christ. Why do you like to lie about the Catholic Church?

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »

Holy Father this ,Holy Father that....So I said to myself ,Oh lord not another one..... Grin
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:26:36 PM by stashko » Logged

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »

Holy Father this ,Holy Father that....So I said to myself ,Oh lord not another one..... Grin
Not even telling the truth. How sad Stasko. That is not very becoming of an Eastern Orthodox Christian.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »

Not even telling the truth. How sad Stasko. That is not very becoming of an Eastern Orthodox Christian.

Do you think it's my cross i have to bear, running into these catholics that preach pope ,More than Christ.... Grin

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »

Because everything does or haven't you figured that out yet?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 04:41:49 PM »

Do you think it's my cross i have to bear, running into these catholics that preach pope ,More than Christ.... Grin

Just like having you around spouting off stupid remarks is our cross to bear, I suppose...more than Christ Grin  Kiss

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »

It's pretty odd. If someone told me I was going to Hell I wouldn't be grinning.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 04:54:31 PM »

Holy Father this ,Holy Father that....So I said to myself ,Oh lord not another one..... Grin

Just like having you around spouting off stupid remarks is our cross to bear, I suppose...more than Christ Grin  Kiss
Theres a Lot Of Catholic Around where i live at ...I talked to Quite A few..
Its a rare De paul Catholic Student that will preach Pope or even let alone Christ..All are mostly  interested in Is Party Party,,,Let the Good times roll...Iv Observed the little faith they have they lose ,once they start attending the university....oh i forgot this  Grin
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:56:39 PM by stashko » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »

Please don't let my choice of smiley  disturb you ,just Ignore my posts..thats all... Grin
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:01:18 PM by stashko » Logged

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »

Holy Father this ,Holy Father that....So I said to myself ,Oh lord not another one..... Grin

Just like having you around spouting off stupid remarks is our cross to bear, I suppose...more than Christ Grin  Kiss
Its a rare De paul Catholic Student that will preach Pope or even let alone Christ..All are mostly  interested in Is Party Party,,,Let the Good times roll...Iv Observed the little faith they have they lose ,once they start attending the university....oh i forgot this  Grin

well, it's a rare Greek Orthodox that will preach Christ, let alone listen to their bishop..all are mostly interested Is Party Party,,,,Let the Good times roll...

you see, i live just a stone's throw from the area of Baltimore known as Greektown...home to most of the heroin addicts in the city, as well as an incredibly high concentration of bars and liquor stores that are open on Sunday,,,so the men of the Greek Orthodox church can slip away for a quick drink and smoke while the priest gives his sermon,,,i've seen this with my own eyes, God help me.

Oh yeah.   Grin

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »

well, it's a rare Greek Orthodox that will preach Christ, let alone listen to their bishop..all are mostly interested Is Party Party,,,,Let the Good times roll...

you see, i live just a stone's throw from the area of Baltimore known as Greektown...home to most of the heroin addicts in the city, as well as an incredibly high concentration of bars and liquor stores that are open on Sunday,,,so the men of the Greek Orthodox church can slip away for a quick drink and smoke while the priest gives his sermon,,,i've seen this with my own eyes, God help me.

Oh yeah.   Grin

That was hilarious!

Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »

Oh yeah.   Grin

How would this rebut the complaint that Stashko is making about the RCs?

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 05:14:54 PM »

The interesting thing is that not ALL Roman Catholics have the same attitude. I remember my conversation with two RC nuns, who posed me the question: "Why don't you believe in the Pope and become a Catholic Christian?" However, a RC deacon later told me that what the nuns uttered was a ridiculous question because no one can be obliged to believe in the Pope. In the RC deacon's own words: "The Pope is not God".

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 05:15:13 PM »

We Have our Own Greek Town as well ...Theres no Orthodox church thats with in walking distant....The restaurants do great Business some Bars around and few fast food gyro joints......Some Greeks but mostly tourists...... Grin
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:17:01 PM by stashko » Logged

Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 05:17:33 PM »

Would you not grin if a Muslim told you that you were a polytheist and would go straight to Hell because you did not believe in Muhammad?

Muslims always tell me that, and my response is  Grin

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »

Would you not grin if a Muslim told you that you were a polytheist and would go straight to Hell because you did not believe in Muhammad?

Muslims always tell me that, and my response is  Grin

Pozdrav Brate...
After All....
He did accuse me of pushing peoples buttons and being a troll,,so what can i say... Grin  Oh i Know I'm Innocent Of the Accusation...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:26:51 PM by stashko » Logged

Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 05:25:22 PM »

I used to emphasize my Orthodox faith while talking to Christians, but my particular method turned out to be misleading since I introduced myself as an Orthodox without the word Christian until a man from the UK asked me the question: "You are Orthodox what? Jew? Muslim? Christian?"  Cheesy

Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 05:30:30 PM »

Pozdrav Brate...
After All....
He did accuse me of pushing peoples buttons and being a troll,,so what can i say... Grin

That is a very harsh accusation. Please forgive them, for they do not know what they are saying.  Sad

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »

I used to emphasize my Orthodox faith while talking to Christians, but my particular method turned out to be misleading since I introduced myself as an Orthodox without the word Christian until a man from the UK asked me the question: "You are Orthodox what? Jew? Muslim? Christian?"  Cheesy

I have never heard the phrase "Orthodox Muslim".  Undecided

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »

Muslims always tell me that, and my response is  Grin

Mmmmmm. I might laugh. But more likely I think I would spurt out "I'm not a polytheist!".

Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 05:38:39 PM »

Sunni branch is called Orthodox Islam by its adherents in reaction to the other existing groups that are considered heretical or in an effort to paint the Sunnites as the followers of the mainstream and original Islamic faith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunnites
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091113154457AAwNlRx

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 05:50:42 PM »

Sunni branch is called Orthodox Islam by its adherents in reaction to the other existing groups that are considered heretical or in an effort to paint the Sunnites as the followers of the mainstream and original Islamic faith.

And you have heard it in everyday life?

Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 06:05:30 PM »

I hear it in some religious programs and documentaries. Some dictionaries also interpret "Sunni Islam" as "Orthodox Islam".

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 06:28:26 PM »

I think that Stashko is right on this. There's a lot of partying going on at Catholic colleges, and some of it is not very decent. Of course, in some Eastern European Orthodox countries, I have noticed that many parties go on until daybreak. You have to realise though that there are good and decent people in both Churches, even though Stashko does not like the structural setup of the Roman Church.   
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »

I hear it in some religious programs and documentaries. Some dictionaries also interpret "Sunni Islam" as "Orthodox Islam".

Is it possible that the phrase is used significantly more in Turkey than the in the Western USA?

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 06:40:27 PM »

You have to realise though that there are good and decent people in both Churches,

If only he could get it through his head that this is true to the degree that it's not even worth trying to smear your religious tradition as a whole by the actions of the trouble makers.

Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 06:43:06 PM »

Is it possible that the phrase is used significantly more in Turkey than the in the Western USA?

Might be. Muslims who have been influenced by Turks (Bosnians) are probably familiar with that term too.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 01:16:48 AM »

Please don't let my choice of smiley  disturb you ,just Ignore my posts..thats all... Grin
Why do you post if you want to be ignored? Huh  That doesn't make any sense.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 01:39:30 AM »

Why do you post if you want to be ignored? Huh  That doesn't make any sense.

just the one .... Grin

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 03:13:25 PM »

If you're trying to get my goat today, stashko, no such luck - my goat's in a good mood today! Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »

If you're trying to get my goat today, stashko, no such luck - my goat's in a good mood today! Grin
I don't quite Follow ,but if you mean
No it wasn't meant for you ,but for the one that accused me of pushing buttons and called me a troll.....Thats the One i m telling to ignore my posts....
a certain smiley  seems to bother him....which i won't use here..Maybe ill retire the smiley or find a more pleasing neutral one...

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2010, 03:37:28 PM »

Oh yeah.   Grin

It's pointing out that the same phenomenon he's using to mock RCs happens within his own communion.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2010, 04:04:48 PM »

Oh yeah.   Grin

It's pointing out that the same phenomenon he's using to mock RCs happens within his own communion.

Stop reading things that arn't there in my posts...
Why would you say im mocking anyone ...Im talking about my experiences dealing with quite a fews catholics ,if religion is discussed,it come to the holy father said this or that ,lots of catholics don't know scripture to quote what Christ Said...But they can tell you what the pope said or didn't... thats why i said hence the possable confusion for the protestants and they  don't associate catholics with christian..Ask a Catholic what he is, and he will say,  Oh Im Catholic ,but mostly never say Im a Catholic  Christian...More confusion..For the Protestants...

If Some askes me what religion i Am ,i tell them Im A Orthodox Christian..All the time.....If i say serbian Orthodox Christian and they don't understand ,then ill say same as Greek Orthodox Christian ,then they understand ,what im talking about...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:12:46 PM by stashko » Logged

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2010, 04:25:07 PM »

I would say ,for the Protestants It's confusing ,When A catholic Talks it's about the pope,and not much about what Christ said, but what the Pope said...I could understand where there coming from.....The Pope said This and That.....

Note that there are no qualifiers in your initial statement: "When A catholic Talks it's about the pope."

This is, on the bald face of it, a very generalized statement that includes all Catholics. 

Of course, you always later backpedal when confronted about your stereotypes and come up with qualifiers to make your original statement seem more palpable and less a caricature, but you still never learn to think before you type and especially before you hit the Post button.

Is this what you want to do before God, stashko?  Do you want to backpedal when you are face to face with the Most High and say, "Lord, Lord, I didn't mean that, I meant this?"

The Saints and Fathers tell us to keep our mouths shut and when we do speak, we speak with conviction, clarity and honesty.

I (and others) keep telling you that it is in your best interest, in this forum's best interest, and in the best interest of those who have trouble understanding your intent (and please don't act shocked that you didn't know this was the case) to think about what others will read into your phrasing and word choice before you finalize your post by hitting that Post button. 

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 04:40:21 PM »

I would say ,for the Protestants It's confusing ,When A catholic Talks it's about the pope,and not much about what Christ said, but what the Pope said...I could understand where there coming from.....The Pope said This and That.....

Note that there are no qualifiers in your initial statement: "When A catholic Talks it's about the pope."

This is, on the bald face of it, a very generalized statement that includes all Catholics.  

Of course, you always later backpedal when confronted about your stereotypes and come up with qualifiers to make your original statement seem more palpable and less a caricature, but you still never learn to think before you type and especially before you hit the Post button.

Is this what you want to do before God, stashko?  Do you want to backpedal when you are face to face with the Most High and say, "Lord, Lord, I didn't mean that, I meant this?"

The Saints and Fathers tell us to keep our mouths shut and when we do speak, we speak with conviction, clarity and honesty.

I (and others) keep telling you that it is in your best interest, in this forum's best interest, and in the best interest of those who have trouble understanding your intent (and please don't act shocked that you didn't know this was the case) to think about what others will read into your phrasing and word choice before you finalize your post by hitting that Post button.  

Im not back pedaling your just reading to to much into it what isn't there....Thats All..Or your making your Judgment also on the Grinning smiley i been over indulging by using it quite a bit lately...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:50:48 PM by stashko » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »

Is this what you want to do before God, stashko?  Do you want to backpedal when you are face to face with the Most High and say, "Lord, Lord, I didn't mean that, I meant this?"

Im not back pedaling your just reading to to much into it what isn't there....Thats All..Or your making your Judgment also on the Grinning smiley i been over indulging by using it quite a bit lately...
You have a history here, stashko, too much of a history for you to get away with this sophistry regarding just one post.  Communication is about reading, but it's also about making sure you write clearly so people find it hard to misunderstand you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:30:59 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 08:05:43 PM »

"Are you Catholic or Christian?"

Such a funny question. Catholics believe in Christ, and Christians believe in a Catholic and Apostolic Church.

It's the same as asking "do farm turkeys usually scuba dive or fly above the clouds?" Answering with either doesn't make sense.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 09:50:30 PM »

..Ask a Catholic what he is, and he will say,  Oh Im Catholic ,but mostly never say Im a Catholic  Christian...
Yes, that is true in my case. If I am asked if I am a Christian, I will say No, that I am not a Christian; I'm a Catholic. Of course, it is supposed to be kind of an inside joke. 
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2010, 12:46:49 AM »

I don't know about that. At least 10% of the Romanists I know would self-identify as "Catholic Christian".

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2010, 12:50:03 AM »

Logic 101: not all Christians are Catholics, but all Catholics are* Christians.

(*at least nominally)

Therefore, Catholics don't feel the need to add "Christian" to their name.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2010, 12:52:19 AM »

Logic 101: not all Christians are Catholics, but all Catholics are* Christians.

(*at least nominally)

Therefore, Catholics don't feel the need to add "Christian" to their name.

Many more "Eastern Orthodox" and Oriental Orthodox I know add "Christian" to then end of their religious identification.  Undecided

Also, not everyone agrees that you are Christians. So I would think that the best counter of that would be to clarify your self-identification as "Catholic Christian".

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2010, 01:43:41 AM »

Why?  The people who think Catholics aren't Christians aren't going to think differently just because we add the word "Christian" to our name.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2010, 01:49:32 AM »

Why?  The people who think Catholics aren't Christians aren't going to think differently just because we add the word "Christian" to our name.

I guess not.

But it does seem to me to be more common than others are saying.

peccatorum
Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus

Faith: roman catholic
Jurisdiction: Brazil

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2010, 08:24:34 AM »

I think that only Catholics (and this includes Orthodox Catholics, although I am Roman Catholic) are truly Christians, all others are followers of men.
it's on the sentence:
Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus.

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy;
Blessed are the pure in the heart, for they shall see God".
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2010, 08:31:59 AM »

Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus.

Did you know that the man who originally said that believed that schismatics did not have authentic Sacraments?

So much for following the teachings of Saint Cyprian.  Roll Eyes

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2010, 08:33:33 AM »

The dichotomy seems to be fairly ingrained in some places, even where you wouldn't expect it. I have observed the "Catholic-Christian" distinction being made not just by Protestants, but by ignorant Roman Catholics, e.g. RC's describing Protestants as "Christians" as opposed to their "Catholic" selves.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:10 AM »

A quick, dumb "informational" video that distinguishes Orthodox Easter from Western "Christian Easter":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvfoYXrFxW0

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »

Another possible answer..."I'm a Catholic Christian. It's far better than being a Cathameric Christian, isn't it?"

Hopefully, the concept will instigue some curiosity. "μέρος" (méros) is the Greek word for "part" or "piece". Truly, all heterodoxies differ from the Catholic faith in that they choose one part (hence the word "heresy", meaning "to choose") over the whole, either by putting them aside, or by reading the whole as determined by this piece of the Church.

All the heterodoxies are in fact "Cathameric" churches, choosing one part of the Tradition over the fullness of what Our Lord has given us.

quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2010, 09:38:30 AM »

Just thought of this:  How about asking them if they are (their denomination:  Baptist, Methodist, Interdenominational. . .etc) or Christian?

Maybe they'll get the point?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »

Another possible answer..."I'm a Catholic Christian. It's far better than being a Cathameric Christian, isn't it?"

Hopefully, the concept will instigue some curiosity. "μέρος" (méros) is the Greek word for "part" or "piece". Truly, all heterodoxies differ from the Catholic faith in that they choose one part (hence the word "heresy", meaning "to choose") over the whole, either by putting them aside, or by reading the whole as determined by this piece of the Church.

All the heterodoxies are in fact "Cathameric" churches, choosing one part of the Tradition over the fullness of what Our Lord has given us.
I like it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2010, 11:09:12 AM »

I had another thought - see if this makes sense (haven't yet had my morning Yerba Mate so it might not! Cheesy ):

When someone says "I'm a Catholic", most people will assume Roman Catholic, which most people know as being at least someform of "Christian".

However, if you say, "I'm Orthodox", a lot of people will wait for you to continue with either "...Jewish" or "... Christian", since the term "Orthodox" all by itself could conceivably refer to either well-known group.

Make sense? Good, then join me in a cuppa, woncha? Smiley

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2010, 11:18:09 AM »

I had another thought - see if this makes sense (haven't yet had my morning Yerba Mate so it might not! Cheesy ):
Good, then join me in a cuppa, woncha? Smiley
So you drink Yerba Mate? The real stuff, I hope. I spent three years in Paraguay in the 80s and learned to enjoy it. I prefer tereré (cold mate), but do make mate cocido occasionally, which from context is probably what you enjoy. Sometimes I make it from scratch, but I have a jar of instant mate that I dip into from time to time. I've tried the "tea bag" route, but don't enjoy that anymore than I enjoy tea made from a bag. Yes, I know I'm fussy - but I'm worth it  Cheesy.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2010, 11:44:44 AM »

genesisone, I'm very unorthodox (obviously! Cheesy ) - I brew it in my coffee percolator. Smiley

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2010, 12:19:49 PM »

When someone says "I'm a Catholic", most people will assume Roman Catholic, which most people know as being at least someform of "Christian".

However, if you say, "I'm Orthodox", a lot of people will wait for you to continue with either "...Jewish" or "... Christian", since the term "Orthodox" all by itself could conceivably refer to either well-known group.

Make sense? Good, then join me in a cuppa, woncha? Smiley

Yerba Mate is for the "hermanos". Here in Brazil, in the South, we drink Chimarrão.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2010, 01:23:26 PM »

It's a moot point because I changed my mind and went to Starbucks.  Cappuccino, anyone? Wink

peccatorum
Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus

Faith: roman catholic
Jurisdiction: Brazil

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2010, 01:36:14 PM »

CHIMASCHIMASCHIMASCHIMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, back to the point...
It's also usual to refer to protestants as "evangelicals", however it is a mistake, since "evangelical" refers to a person who follows the good news of Christ (Ευαγγέλιο).
Dominus Vobiscum

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy;
Blessed are the pure in the heart, for they shall see God".
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2010, 05:53:23 PM »

The dichotomy seems to be fairly ingrained in some places, even where you wouldn't expect it. I have observed the "Catholic-Christian" distinction being made not just by Protestants, but by ignorant Roman Catholics, e.g. RC's describing Protestants as "Christians" as opposed to their "Catholic" selves.

Ditto.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2013, 06:20:43 PM »

"Are you Catholic or Christian?"

Such a funny question. Catholics believe in Christ, and Christians believe in a Catholic and Apostolic Church.

It's the same as asking "do farm turkeys usually scuba dive or fly above the clouds?" Answering with either doesn't make sense.

Actually, the answer would be "both," but that can be misleading.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2013, 06:34:33 PM »

If I may make a suggestion, we should add "Christ-follower" to that question for the Evangelical-it's-not-a-religion-it's-a-relationship thing category of Christians.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2013, 08:54:08 PM »

Around here, if someone told a Catholic they weren't a Christian, they might get punched in the face. Either that or someone would call the psychiatric ward.

I would probably opt for a yo momma joke.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2013, 09:16:01 PM »

This thread is old, but it should nevertheless be pointed out that there are Christian communities that don't consider Roman Catholics to be Christian; hence, the false dichotomy. Just talk to people who converted to Catholicism from Southern Baptist or Pentecostal (which isn't to suggest that all members of those groups hold such views). If these groups knew what the heck an Orthodox Christian was, they'd probably think the same thing (only we don't have the whole "pope worship" thing going for us).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:17:02 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »

OP,

I would say they are  Christian , but they can be Baptist, Catholic, Orthodox or any other specific group of Christian.

Without getting too deep into the subject, this is about as far as I would go.  If they don't understand this, you'll be wasting your time with more info.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2013, 09:52:30 PM »

This thread is old, but it should nevertheless be pointed out that there are Christian communities that don't consider Roman Catholics to be Christian; hence, the false dichotomy. Just talk to people who converted to Catholicism from Southern Baptist or Pentecostal (which isn't to suggest that all members of those groups hold such views). If these groups knew what the heck an Orthodox Christian was, they'd probably think the same thing (only we don't have the whole "pope worship" thing going for us).
Nor do Catholics.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2013, 10:04:14 PM »

Nor do Catholics.

I think lovesupreme was giving the average Baptist or Pentecostal view; not asserting that Catholic do in fact worship the Pope. There are quotation marks there after all.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2013, 10:08:02 PM »

Nor do Catholics.

I think lovesupreme was giving the average Baptist or Pentecostal view; not asserting that Catholic do in fact worship the Pope. There are quotation marks there after all.
Of course, but what a great opportunity to educate someone, especially coming from someone who isn't Catholic. 
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2013, 10:18:38 PM »

If I may make a suggestion, we should add "Christ-follower" to that question for the Evangelical-it's-not-a-religion-it's-a-relationship thing category of Christians.

On this note, I do find it amusing when post-Evangelical sorts decry labeling themselves Christian because of the "negative connotations and meaning" behind it... (Insert the verse that every Antiochian publication ever uses about first being called Christian).

Then there's this awful parody series.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2013, 01:08:23 AM »

Nor do Catholics.

Of course, but what a great opportunity to educate someone, especially coming from someone who isn't Catholic. 

Nephi is correct.

And if you mean that we ought to correct people when we hear them charge Catholics of pope worship, yes, I agree. However, my understanding is that the Pope can often serve as a common target of antagonism between Orthodox and Protestants, leading both to make exacerbated claims about the Roman Catholic Church's teachings on the papacy. Unfortunately, those claims tend to be reinforced by the so-called "neo-Catholic" groups, whose support for the papacy sometimes borders on fanaticism, much to the ire of traditionalist groups.

It's a topic I admittedly know little about, but this is the sense I get from some of the comments I've read on these forums.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: