OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 06:59:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope as Ruler of the World  (Read 4854 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« on: September 19, 2010, 07:18:01 AM »

So I came across the words which at least according to Wikipedia were used when new pope was crowned with papal tiara:

Quote from: Wikipedia
When popes were crowned, the following words were used:

Accipe tiaram tribus coronis ornatam, et scias te esse Patrem Principum et Regnum, Rectorem Orbis, in terra Vicarium Salvatoris Nostri Jesu Christi, cui est honor et gloria in sæcula sæculorum.
    (Receive the tiara adorned with three crowns and know that thou art Father of Princes and Kings, Ruler of the World, Vicar of Our Savior Jesus Christ in earth, to whom is honor and glory in the ages of ages.)

Firstly, is this really accurate?  If so, what that means? Is pope also a sovereing according to RCC?
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:14:36 AM »

The triple tiara actually represents the following:
1. The Pope as the Bishop of Rome
2. The Pope as Patriarch of the West
3. The Pope as, well the Pope of the Universal Church

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:15:07 AM »

That being said, the Pope no longer wears the triple tiara.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »

I'm not so interested about the papal tiara itself but the coronation service which was used when the tiara was still in use and RC teaching about temporal power of popes. Is that quote from Wikipedia really accurate? If so, what does "Ruler of the World" mean?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:31:52 PM by Alpo » Logged
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 01:48:38 PM »

The Pope has disavowed the title Patriarch of the West.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 01:53:06 PM »

Well, he took it off the list of titles because it's no longer historically relevent but that doesn't mean that he is not the Patriarch of the West.

JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 02:03:24 PM »

Well, he took it off the list of titles because it's no longer historically relevent but that doesn't mean that he is not the Patriarch of the West.

So the "list of titles" is a list of "historically relevant" titles and not a list of things the pope actually is (or claims to be)? If he's the Patriarch of the West, why would he bother to take it off the list? And how is that title irrelevant?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:05:33 PM by JLatimer » Logged

So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 02:19:13 PM »

So the "list of titles" is a list of "historically relevant" titles and not a list of things the pope actually is (or claims to be)? If he's the Patriarch of the West, why would he bother to take it off the list? And how is that title irrelevant?

It is irrelevant for the same reason that of the four patriarchates in Catholicism, only two have actual bishops manning that position. The catholic church made a decision some time ago to be built as a single church ecclesiastically as well as in faith. Therefore, patriarch may mean something between the two halves, but within itself is becoming meaningless.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:20:45 PM by Azurestone » Logged

I'm going to need this.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »

It is irrelevant for the same reason that of the four patriarchates in Catholicism, only two have actual bishops manning that position. The catholic church made a decision some time ago to be built as a single church ecclesiastically as well as in faith. Therefore, patriarch may mean something between the two halves, but within itself is becoming meaningless.

In other words, the pope has disavowed the title Patriarch of the West.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 02:37:06 PM »

But, what is it meant by "ruler of the world"? Taken as it is, it is an even stronger claim than "ruler of the church".

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 03:59:20 PM »

In other words, the pope has disavowed the title Patriarch of the West.
...only until re-union with the Orthodox, probably.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »

On the Latin "rector":

Even Wikipedia concedes that the word Rector means "teacher" and is used in largely academic contexts.

Indeed it provides a list of such titles now in use which are virtually ALL in an academic context.

This simply re-inforces my point.

The use of the term is now in the context of a teacher or an administrator of an academic establishment. That, in turn, is because the meaning ascribed to the word over successive centuries by the Church was largely spiritual, didactic and only administrative in an ancillary sense.

Moreover, Wikipedia is hardly the last word on the meaning of ecclesiastical Latin.

It is in the ecclesiastical sense that the word is meant to be understood and that is why it is akin to the Rector of a church.

The Pope is Rector of the world in the same way that a Parish Priest is Rector of his parish and church. There are elements of temporal authority, inevitably, but the principal role is as a spiritual, not a temporal, governor.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »

So I came across the words which at least according to Wikipedia were used when new pope was crowned with papal tiara:

Accipe tiaram tribus coronis ornatam, et scias te esse Patrem Principum et Regnum, Rectorem Orbis, in terra Vicarium Salvatoris Nostri Jesu Christi, cui est honor et gloria in sæcula sæculorum.
    (Receive the tiara adorned with three crowns and know that thou art Father of Princes and Kings, Ruler of the World, Vicar of Our Savior Jesus Christ in earth, to whom is honor and glory in the ages of ages.)

Firstly, is this really accurate?  If so, what that means? Is pope also a sovereing according to RCC?
The last Pope to be crowned with a tiara, and the last Pope to have the above sentence recited as part of his coronation, was Paul VI.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »

But, what is it meant by "ruler of the world"? Taken as it is, it is an even stronger claim than "ruler of the church".

Is it? Ruler of the church is God. The pope is supposed to be the "vicar of Christ" in this world. Therefore, he is only pope of the church in this world.

I'm going to need this.
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 05:41:54 PM »

The Latin word translated as "Ruler" is "Rector."

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 05:54:30 PM »

The Latin word translated as "Ruler" is "Rector."

rector -oris m. [ruler , governor, director, guide]

So, whatever it is, it depends on the person's translation.

I'm going to need this.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 06:26:33 PM »

Oh, dear. I think it is possible to let us wander into possibilities more appropriate to a Dan Brown or Tom Clancy novel. I'm pretty sure the Roman Pope still also receives the title, Servant of the Servants of God. Now there's one.  Smiley Some of the Anglicans still have a clerical title, Rector. Will we ask them to abandon this term as well?

When I was in the Roman Catholic Church, I didn't spend much time sitting around feeling that the Pope was coming to get me or anything. I guess it looks different from one side than from the other.  Undecided For all the vaunted 'big words' in some of the titles, it may be noted that some of them go back a very long time, to days when the world was very different - when it was comprised largely of monarchies, and the language of the church wasn't much different from that of the state. Today there are more democracies, and other types of governments, so the older terms have fallen into disuse. Yet some of the church language survives on paper. (Every once in a while, when I read a history book, I'll learn about a Czar being called 'His Most Serene Orthodox Majesty.' There aren't czars today, but that's one of the things they used to call them. Or words to that effect.)

I'm not sure that, for all the worries, the Pope's use of 'ruler' or 'rector,' if that's what he means by it, is to be taken as so daunting. I was taught that Rector means second place priest in a parish (the junior priest to the pastor). This would then be a reference, in fact, to the fact that the Pope is under Christ spiritually as leader of the Church. So if all he's saying is assistant parish priest to the whole world, the power theories fall flat, don't they?  Huh  

Today, the Vatican City is the size of a fraction of Rome. It is filled with nuns and archbishops, and couldn't invade the rest of Rome if it tried. I don't think the Pope actually expects all the Christians on the planet to listen to him and do what he says. I mean, surely he knows that they don't. He has to know that. He's not sitting there confounded that only his church members read his encyclicals or something. It just doesn't make sense in a practical way.

If there ever comes a time for greater administrative or ecclesiastical union of the different churches, then perhaps things like this may be taken care of. Now, however, it won't be my top worry.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:27:45 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Paisius
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 10:01:42 PM »

Whatever it means the title is certainly no more grandiose than the full title of the Pope of Alexandria.  Wink

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 07:41:07 AM »

Firstly, is this really accurate?  If so, what that means? Is pope also a sovereing according to RCC?
The last Pope to be crowned with a tiara, and the last Pope to have the above sentence recited as part of his coronation, was Paul VI.

It doesn't really matter whether it is used anymore or not. If it was part of the liturgical tradition of the Latin church the substance of the title must still be part of RC faith even though it is not used anymore. Or otherwise RC faith has changed after pope Paul IV and I don't quite think that RCs feel comfortable with that idea. Wink

That being said, I'm not trying to dig out some weirdo conspiracy theories like Dan Brown. I'm just curious.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:48:20 AM by Alpo » Logged
Mardukm
Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 08:15:34 AM »

Dear brother Alpo

It doesn't really matter whether it is used anymore or not. If it was part of the liturgical tradition of the Latin church the substance of the title must still be part of RC faith even though it is not used anymore. Or otherwise RC faith has changed after pope Paul IV and I don't quite think that RCs feel comfortable with that idea. Wink

That being said, I'm not trying to dig out some weirdo conspiracy theories like Dan Brown. I'm just curious.
We can't lose sight of the fact that the primary definition of rector in Latin is "guide." Someone above gave a definition and placed "ruler" as first on the list.  That is misleading (though I'm sure it was not his intention).  If rector is translated as "ruler", it is always in the sense of "guide," not in the sense of "monarch." Other common synonyms of rector in medieval Latin are "director," "helmsman," "moderator," and "instructor." That range of definitions gives you an idea of what the word really means in Latin, and what the Latin Church means when she uses the word.

Blessings,
Marduk
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 08:25:25 AM »

That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation, Marduk. Smiley
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 09:21:22 AM »

We can't lose sight of the fact that the primary definition of rector in Latin is "guide." Someone above gave a definition and placed "ruler" as first on the list.  That is misleading (though I'm sure it was not his intention).  If rector is translated as "ruler", it is always in the sense of "guide," not in the sense of "monarch." Other common synonyms of rector in medieval Latin are "director," "helmsman," "moderator," and "instructor." That range of definitions gives you an idea of what the word really means in Latin, and what the Latin Church means when she uses the word.

Blessings,
Marduk

Yes, the definition was obviously grabbed from a dictionary. Hense the masculine symbol. Therefore, I will agree and disagree with your assessment.

As far as primary definitions. The best way to read a definition is often to read ALL translations and take that concept in your mind. While rector could be used 'rector navis' for helmsman or steersman, it's meaning is meant more as a benevolent leader. Id est, a rector is like the teacher in a grade school class or, better yet, the principle. The rector is in charge, but who's duty is to lead (guide).

This is in contrast with imperator. Imperator is also a ruler. However, an imperator rules with strength. Think empire or imperial.

I'm going to need this.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 09:36:39 AM »

Consulting my old Lewis and Short Latin Dictionary (prodigiously heavy, even with two hands) I see that one of the primary meanings is the leader of an army of the governor general of a province.   I suspect that it is in this sense it is used as one of the Pope's defunct titles.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 09:42:28 AM »

Consulting my old Lewis and Short Latin Dictionary (prodigiously heavy, even with two hands) I see that one of the primary meanings is the leader of an army of the governor general of a province.

Voivod?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Mardukm
Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 10:19:47 AM »

Dearest Father Ambrose,

Consulting my old Lewis and Short Latin Dictionary (prodigiously heavy, even with two hands) I see that one of the primary meanings is the leader of an army of the governor general of a province.   I suspect that it is in this sense it is used as one of the Pope's defunct titles.
Lewis and Short specifically states that the definitions you gave are figurative meanings.  So I wouldn't attach the word "primary" to them.

In line with Azurestone's explanation, what comes to mind is St. John Chrysostom's statement that while St. James was the bishop of Jerusalem, St. Peter was the teacher of the world.  I believe it should be understood in that sense.  I don't recall the Pope ever having claimed to have secular dominion over the world (which seems to be what you are implying).  Historically, his secular dominion has only been the papal states.  So the "of the world" must refer to something other than secular power.

Humbly,
Marduk
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »

Dearest Father Ambrose,

Lewis and Short specifically states that the definitions you gave are figurative meanings.

No.

Impression of 1962, London, p.1562
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »

I like the idea of rector as the principal of a school. It just came to my mind that the head of a university can be called "Rector".

I think the term clarifies how the RC has deviated of the Catholic tradition about the primate.

The title of rector, clearly, shows the primate as head of the Church, seeing the Church as a school.

At the same time, the primate was the bishop of Rome and is now the bishop of Constantinople. What does this tell about how this school is organized?

A common rector, generally speaking, administrates over *all* the university. The directors of each faculty and other academic authorities are a committee or council over which the rector presides with authority, but not absolute authority. The head of the Law Faculty has full autonomy in his college and the interference of the rector is limited.

Now, one important factor is that usually, the rector is *not* the head of any faculty. He may have been, but, in the universities I have known, he has to leave the position as head of a faculty to become the rector of the university.

An administrative structure wherein one of the heads of the faculty is chosen as rector is definetely a *consiliary* administrative organization, where the counsil is highest authority and one of the counsil members holds presiding power over *the counsil*, not over the faculties themselves. The only faculty he is responsible for is his own.

This seems to be the case of the Church "first among equals". Each diocese is a university with its own director. The council of the Church is like the International Association of Universities. The primate is the president of this association, but not an universal principal for every university, college and faculty in the world. This seems to fit exactly what Justinian (and Phocas I guess) meant when they said that the Roman bishops were head of the *bishops* and of the *churches* and not head of the Church.

The "according to the whole" tradition also means that. The Church, with capital letter, has as its sole visible and invisible rector, the Incarnated and Resurrected Son of God, Our Lord Jesus Christ. Each church "iconizes" and actualizes that by being a local school with its own rector, the bishop, and faculty principals, the priests, and teachers, deacons (one cannot avoid to notice that liturgically, deacons were supposed to do most of the "talking", with comparatively fewer interventions of the priest. Priests only sing most of the liturgy because of the lack of deacons).

If the bishops are the "rectors" of the "universities", the Archbishops and Metropolitans are like the presidents of the regional "associations" of universities, although, they are rectors themselves. Likewise, the primate, the first among equals, is a rector to whom was given the honour of being the "president" of the "international association of universities". In practice, he manages his own university only. But is also the president of an international association of leaders. These regional and international associations, however, are not universities. The university only exists locally, with its head-rector. They are communication, exchange tools through which the various universities, each one "according to the whole", can improve their work, defend against common enemies and have some unity of action in the world.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »

I don't recall the Pope ever having claimed to have secular dominion over the world (which seems to be what you are implying).

Oh, he could certainly dominate the secular world,.  You will remember that he was able to dethrone kings and princes who would not allow the Inquisition to operate in their domains.   I have always, although an Irishman, been proud that England told him to take a running hike on this score.

And of course there is our ancient enemy Unam Sanctam which subjects secular powers to the Pope's authority.
Mardukm
Elder

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 11:02:37 AM »

Dearest Father Ambrose,

Mine's the 1998 edition.  New, improved scholarship.  I'll trust mine. if you don't mind. Smiley

Humbly,
Marduk

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 11:12:20 AM »

Perhaps the best wayto interpret it would be to study history (study? eek! Cheesy ) and see how it actually played out in real life situations.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Mardukm
Elder

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 11:23:33 AM »

I don't recall the Pope ever having claimed to have secular dominion over the world (which seems to be what you are implying).

Oh, he could certainly dominate the secular world,.  You will remember that he was able to dethrone kings and princes who would not allow the Inquisition to operate in their domains.   I have always, although an Irishman, been proud that England told him to take a running hike on this score.
Do you have any sources to support those claims (1- that he threatened to dethrone kings who would not allow the Inquisition; 2) that England told him to take a hike)?  By the way, the Pope never had the authority to dethrone kings and princes. His sole authority was religious - he had the authority to excommunicate them. I believe your hierarchs excommunicated secular officials in the history of the Russian Church.  Is there a difference, aside from the context of a religious society during medieval Europe?

And of course there is our ancient enemy Unam Sanctam which subjects secular powers to the Pope's authority.
Luckily, that portion was not infallibly proclaimed.

Humbly,
Marduk
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 11:24:02 AM »

Perhaps the best wayto interpret it would be to study history (study? eek! Cheesy )

Fail.  Grin

I'm going to need this.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 11:40:39 AM »

Fr Ambrose: Excuse me, Mardukm, but this "crazy" view was the official teaching of the Popes for many centuries. They claimed the right to depose rulers and to dispense people from their loyalty to the monarch and government. If they did not get their way they placed the whole country under Interdict. It was sheer blackmail on the part of the Pontiffs.

Mardukm: I deny that it was the official teaching of the Popes. I admit that it was the practice of several Popes. Officially speaking, the best reference I can think of is Unam Sanctam, but it does not make any claim about the deposing power. It does state that the religious power has the right to establish the secular power, but this was nothing more than what any secular power was willing to admit at the time..... etc.

The Forum has limits as to how much can be quoted from other sites so to see more please go to message 274 here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 12:06:41 PM »

Oh, he could certainly dominate the secular world,.  You will remember that he was able to dethrone kings and princes who would not allow the Inquisition to operate in their domains.

Hundreds of years ago.   Roll Eyes  The Inquisition is over.

I have always, although an Irishman, been proud that England told him to take a running hike on this score.

I'm Irish on my father's side, but I can't agree with you there. There was the sacking of the monasteries. As for objecting to foreign religious leaders, what do we do about, er, the Apostles and Jesus?  Huh

Oh, goodness. Did someone invent a time machine, and I missed it? Sigh...  Roll Eyes Some people are determined to be afraid of something, no matter how it plays out in reality. When I was a kid, I was afraid of the dark because I thought there was a 'monster' in the corner of my room. I went to look. It turned out to be a jacket I left on the side of a lamp. Outside of some bad potboiler which they may sell in airport lounges, I don't think the Pope has any bizarre political plans. This reminds me of the stories my parents used to tell, about the people who were afraid to vote for John Kennedy because he would (supposedly) be loyal to a dreaded foreign religious leader.  Roll Eyes The stereotypes and fears about Catholics and the Pope just got up to ridiculous levels.

Today, the Vatican City is literally one of the tiniest 'countries' in the world. It is in fact encompassed by another city. If the leaders of other churches wish to call a conference and discuss with the Pope the need for dismissal of certain old claims, titles and anything else which is objectionable, they may do so. Talk to a priest, write to your bishop. Why not try? If it worries you that much, it'd be something to do.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:07:14 PM by biro » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »

Dearest Father Ambrose,

Mine's the 1998 edition.  New, improved scholarship.  I'll trust mine. if you don't mind. Smiley

There must have been a massive upsurge in Latin scholarship between 1962 and 1998.   Was it discovered that the use of the word 'rector' in reference to leaders of armies and such as governors general of provinces was merely figurative?

I am puzzled though how one can be a "figurative" leader of an army?  or a "figurative" governor of a province?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 12:11:25 PM »

When was the last time a Pope actually led an army?

I repeat: does someone have a time machine I don't know about?   Huh

Roll Eyes

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 12:16:35 PM »

Oh, he could certainly dominate the secular world,.  You will remember that he was able to dethrone kings and princes who would not allow the Inquisition to operate in their domains.

Hundreds of years ago.   Roll Eyes  The Inquisition is over.

I have always, although an Irishman, been proud that England told him to take a running hike on this score.

I'm Irish on my father's side, but I can't agree with you there. There was the sacking of the monasteries. As for objecting to foreign religious leaders, what do we do about, er, the Apostles and Jesus?  Huh

Oh, goodness. Did someone invent a time machine, and I missed it? Sigh...  Roll Eyes Some people are determined to be afraid of something, no matter how it plays out in reality. When I was a kid, I was afraid of the dark because I thought there was a 'monster' in the corner of my room. I went to look. It turned out to be a jacket I left on the side of a lamp. Outside of some bad potboiler which they may sell in airport lounges, I don't think the Pope has any bizarre political plans. This reminds me of the stories my parents used to tell, about the people who were afraid to vote for John Kennedy because he would (supposedly) be loyal to a dreaded foreign religious leader.  Roll Eyes The stereotypes and fears about Catholics and the Pope just got up to ridiculous levels.

Today, the Vatican City is literally one of the tiniest 'countries' in the world. It is in fact encompassed by another city. If the leaders of other churches wish to call a conference and discuss with the Pope the need for dismissal of certain old claims, titles and anything else which is objectionable, they may do so. Talk to a priest, write to your bishop. Why not try? If it worries you that much, it'd be something to do.

Theistgal has a good answer, in message 29.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »

I have studied history. And the Inquisition has, still, been over for hundreds of years.

When was the last time a Pope physically led an army?

Do you not know, or did you build something that would put H.G. Wells to shame?

Huh

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 12:27:42 PM »

Roll Eyes

The last time the Pope went to war was about 140 years ago, the time of my great grandparents.  Pope Pius IX went to war against the State of Italy and appealed to the Catholic nations of Spain and France to assist his army by attacking Italy also.   To his bitter disappointment they refused to send armies to fight for him.

When Pope Pius IX lost that war and lost his sovereignty over the Papal States, he became the "prisoner of the Vatican" - not something he chose out of love for holy reclusion but because he feared to be assassinated on the streets of Rome by the fathers and brothers of those killed by the papal army.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 12:35:01 PM »

So, 140 years ago.

That's the best you can come up with.

That Pope is no longer hiding from anyone, would-be assassins or otherwise. He is deceased.

One hundred forty years ago. Wow.

And I was scared of the shadow of a jacket.  Shocked

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »

Here is the army for the spiritual "Conquest of Holy Mother Russia."

"Eastern Europe... Ready... Set....!

"The fall of the Iron Curtain has given the Church greater freedom of movement. The first to respond to the opportunity have been the religious orders. Their destination: the former Catholic nations. Their dream: to "conquer" Holy Mother Russia."

We are still seen as fodder for conversion. 

March, 1990 issue of the Catholic magazine 30 Days.
30 Days is one of Italy's best Catholic magazines and has a worldwide distribution in several languages.
Mardukm
Elder

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »

Dearest Father Ambrose,

There must have been a massive upsurge in Latin scholarship between 1962 and 1998.   Was it discovered that the use of the word 'rector' in reference to leaders of armies and such as governors general of provinces was merely figurative?

I am puzzled though how one can be a "figurative" leader of an army?  or a "figurative" governor of a province?
I don’t know if it’s because you’re Irish, or because of New Zealand culture, but you seem to have a rather different understanding of the English word “figurative” than I do.

Permit me to explain my understanding of the term via example.

Suppose I have a fat friend.  One day I say, “You are an elephant.”  Of course, he is not really an elephant, but there is something about my friend that makes him similar to the literal meaning of the word “elephant.”  Thus, I have used the word “elephant” figuratively.

Another way to look at it is suppose you went to look for the definition of the word “elephant” in the dictionary.  You find the entry, and you see as one of the definitions, “fat boy,” with a (fig.) next to it indicating that this is a figurative understanding of the word.  This means that “fat boy” is not the primary or literal definition or usage of the word “elephant,” but is rather a figurative usage of it.

Now let’s relate this to our discussion.  You look up the word “rector” in the dictionary, and you find that one of the definitions is “military leader” with a (fig.) next to it (in Lewis & Short, it’s actually (trop.)).  This means that “military leader” is not the primary or literal definition or usage of the word “rector,” but the figurative usage.  Someone may use the word “rector” when they are referring to a “military leader” only because there is something about a military leader that is similar to the literal meaning of the word “rector.”

Hope that helps.

Humbly,
Marduk
Mardukm
Elder

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 12:48:29 PM »

Dearest Father Ambrose,

Roll Eyes
The last time the Pope went to war was about 140 years ago, the time of my great grandparents.  Pope Pius IX went to war against the State of Italy and appealed to the Catholic nations of Spain and France to assist his army by attacking Italy also.   To his bitter disappointment they refused to send armies to fight for him.

When Pope Pius IX lost that war and lost his sovereignty over the Papal States, he became the "prisoner of the Vatican" - not something he chose out of love for holy reclusion but because he feared to be assassinated on the streets of Rome by the fathers and brothers of those killed by the papal army.
Huh Huh Huh
I believe the question was, “When was the last time the Pope led an army?” not, “when was the last time the Pope requested assistance from the secular powers?”

Seriously, is our English different from the English you speak over there in New Zealand?

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 12:50:18 PM »

So, 140 years ago.

That's the best you can come up with.

You must be very young.  These were the 1870s, my great grandparents were alive.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 12:50:34 PM »

Not to defend any Popery, but.... http://logismoitouaaron.blogspot.com/2009/04/dracula-orthodox-hymnography.html

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: