OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:17:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "I'd love to baptize ET"  (Read 1750 times) Average Rating: 0
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« on: September 18, 2010, 12:54:56 PM »

I'd love to baptise ET, says Vatican's stargazer

Intelligent aliens may be living among the stars and are likely to have souls, a senior Vatican scientist said yesterday.

The Pope's astronomer, Guy Consolmagno, said he would be happy to 'baptise an al ien' - but admitted that the chances of communicating with life outside the Earth were low.

Speaking at the British Science Festival in Birmingham, Dr Consolmagno also dismissed Creationism and claimed that the revival of 'intelligent design' - the controversial theory that only God can explain gaps in the theory of evolution - was 'bad theology'.

Dr Consolmagno, one of a team of 12 astronomers working for the Vatican, said the Catholic Church had been supporting and funding science for centuries.

A self-confessed science fiction fan, he said he was 'comfortable' with the idea of alien life.

Asked if he would baptise an alien, he replied: 'Only if they asked.'

He added: 'I'd be delighted if we found life elsewhere and delighted if we found intelligent life elsewhere.

'But the odds of us finding it, of it being intelligent and us being able to communicate with it - when you add them up it's probably not a practical question.

'God is bigger than just humanity. God is also the god of angels.'

In the middle ages, the definition of a soul was to have intelligence, free will, freedom to love and freedom to make decisions, he said.

Those characteristics may not be unique to humans.

'Any entity - no matter how many tentacles it has - has a soul,' he added.

In practice, machines were unlikely to be smart or human enough to have souls.

Dr Consolmagno, 57, the curator of the Pope's meteorite collection, is a trained astronomer and planetary scientist at the Vatican's observatory.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1312922/Pope-astronomer-Guy-Consolmagno-Aliens-souls-living-stars.html

If sentient alien life were discovered, what would the implications be for the Orthodox Church?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »

If sentient alien life were discovered, what would the implications be for the Orthodox Church?

I think that the Orthodox Church as enough real problems to deal with without adding fruitless hypothetical debates into the mess.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »

Why are extraterrestrials always so squid-like?   Tongue

I think that the Orthodox Church as enough real problems to deal with without adding fruitless hypothetical debates into the mess.
And which of those "real problems" aren't fruitless hypothetical debates?   Wink
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:14:43 PM by Entscheidungsproblem » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 01:26:37 PM »

If you've seen the movie "Signs" (with Mel Gibson), you'll know that aliens are averse to water, making baptism very difficult.

If aliens do exist, perhaps they never experienced a Fall from Grace, like we humans did.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »

And which of those "real problems" aren't fruitless hypothetical debates?   Wink

I spotted that sass a mile away; in fact as I was typing the sentence. Our problems are real for us. Some of us commit to Orthodoxy and its principles. It's not a detour on a "greater" path, it is the path. I understand if your conscience has led you in another direction; if you could not full a whole heart believe in the truth of Orthodoxy. But that does not mean that you should hang around and belittle our own issues struggles on an Orthodox board.

You might say that you're "just joking", but every joke is just one more attempt to trivialize the faith which established the universe. Some us us don't take apostasy lightly.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »

You might say that you're "just joking", but every joke is just one more attempt to trivialize the faith which established the universe. Some us us don't take apostasy lightly.
Yes, because I am sure a deity that founded all of creation would be so dogmatically opposed to people of various denominations praying before a meal together, etc...  Most Orthodox see half of these "real problems" as pointless dividing squabbles too.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »

If you've seen the movie "Signs" (with Mel Gibson), you'll know that aliens are averse to water, making baptism very difficult.

If aliens do exist, perhaps they never experienced a Fall from Grace, like we humans did.

I think it would be interesting to see how their unique beliefs might start to displace Earth-born ones.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:07:01 PM by Entscheidungsproblem » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 02:14:50 PM »

Yes, because I am sure a deity that founded all of creation would be so dogmatically opposed to people of various denominations praying before a meal together, etc...  Most Orthodox see half of these "real problems" as pointless dividing squabbles too.

In my experience in Orthodox parishes you're far more likely to get into a conversation about biological research or even extraterrestrials than about praying with heretics or having a Jewish doctor. (And the Greeks, at least, tend to be quite progressive on these matters, regardless of these religious beliefs.) If someone brought up these 'real problems' in a 'real parish' they'd likely be laughed out of the building...they're not 'real problems', they're pet theological issues akin to how many angles can fit on the head of a pin, 'problems' found mostly on the internet these days.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 03:05:55 PM »

I think it would be interesting to see how their unique beliefs might start to displace Earth-born ones.
Like evolution?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »

Intelligent aliens may be living among the stars and are likely to have souls, a senior Vatican scientist said yesterday.

The Pope's astronomer, Guy Consolmagno, said he would be happy to 'baptise an al ien' - but admitted that the chances of communicating with life outside the Earth were low.

Speaking at the British Science Festival in Birmingham, Dr Consolmagno also dismissed Creationism and claimed that the revival of 'intelligent design' - the controversial theory that only God can explain gaps in the theory of evolution - was 'bad theology'.

Dr Consolmagno, one of a team of 12 astronomers working for the Vatican, said the Catholic Church had been supporting and funding science for centuries.

A self-confessed science fiction fan, he said he was 'comfortable' with the idea of alien life.

He added: 'I'd be delighted if we found life elsewhere and delighted if we found intelligent life elsewhere.

'But the odds of us finding it, of it being intelligent and us being able to communicate with it - when you add them up it's probably not a practical question.

In the middle ages, the definition of a soul was to have intelligence, free will, freedom to love and freedom to make decisions, he said.

Dr Consolmagno, 57, the curator of the Pope's meteorite collection, is a trained astronomer and planetary scientist at the Vatican's observatory.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1312922/Pope-astronomer-Guy-Consolmagno-Aliens-souls-living-stars.html

I believe CS Lewis' (though he was not Orthodox) essay "Religion and Rocketry" speaks to this question quite well.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 05:28:19 PM »

I don't know about the aliens, but I do know that Christ did not became incarnate as a rational soul but as a man. I'm not really worried about the answer, but I'm sure if the Church were faced with that situation, that one fact would have to be taken into account for how we relate to them on religious terms.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 09:01:22 PM »

In my experience in Orthodox parishes you're far more likely to get into a conversation about biological research or even extraterrestrials than about praying with heretics or having a Jewish doctor. (And the Greeks, at least, tend to be quite progressive on these matters, regardless of these religious beliefs.) If someone brought up these 'real problems' in a 'real parish' they'd likely be laughed out of the building...they're not 'real problems', they're pet theological issues akin to how many angles can fit on the head of a pin, 'problems' found mostly on the internet these days.

Just to clarify, I didn't say anything about praying with heretics, etc. By "real" problems, I meant just that. Things that have to do with real life that concern most Orthodox faithful, at least in the USA. Things like administrative unity, attaining a holy life in repentance, etc. Not abstract theological musings.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 09:25:13 PM »

Agreed.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 10:13:01 PM »

the gods (aliens) of the heathen are demons.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 12:37:22 AM »

the gods (aliens) of the heathen are demons.
That's a not-so-rare notion among conservative Protestants: that so-called 'aliens' and their 'UFOs' are actually demons or fallen angels.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 12:38:12 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 01:38:26 AM »

Well what if we found aliens and they already had Christian Orthodoxy? Orthodoxy proved?
Russell

Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 11:14:24 AM »

I know it is not space aliens but still Saint Innoncent was an alien(foreigner)  in Alaska.

I recall a story about Saint Innocent baptising natives in alaska.  He came accross a village that had no contact with the Russians but all the people were already prepared by the village shaman. The shaman had a vision/dream about christianity before Innocent had arrived.

Anyone have a link to this story? or remember this?

Mathe 24:36
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 02:41:07 PM »

deleted because I see someone else already made the joke before me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:45:43 PM by NorthernPines » Logged
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 02:42:10 PM »

I know it is not space aliens but still Saint Innoncent was an alien(foreigner)  in Alaska.

I recall a story about Saint Innocent baptising natives in alaska.  He came accross a village that had no contact with the Russians but all the people were already prepared by the village shaman. The shaman had a vision/dream about christianity before Innocent had arrived.

Anyone have a link to this story? or remember this?

I remember a lecture given by Fr. Michael Oleksa where he told that story. I don't have the link, but you could try googling him and see what comes up.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »

"For the Orthodox discovery of intelligent life on another planet would raise the question of how far advanced these beings are in their love and preparation for divine glory."

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2009/11/fr-john-romanides-on-extraterrestrial.html

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
danman916

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 04:49:45 PM »

Whatever does "man in the image of God" mean in that article. The good Father seems to be rejecting the belief that man was created in the image of God.

His position is rather problematic since Genesis explicitly tells us this.

Maybe he just suffers from the latent Orthodox problem of not being able to understand Catholicism, so draws strange conclusions from false presumptions.

Wouldn't be the first time.

By the way, in no article I saw did Br. Consolmagno say he'd  "love to baptize ET". The quotes in other sources I've seen when asked about baptizing an alien states that he would do so only if the alien asked for it.

http://www.ewtnnews.com/new.php?id=1688
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 05:29:44 PM »

We already have aliens.  They are called "politicians." Smiley
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 03:42:46 AM »

Missionaries to space? What will they think of next.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:49:55 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 03:04:55 PM »

Maybe the aliens might send missionaries to us.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 03:17:16 PM »

Can't remember the name offhand but Ray Bradbury wrote a short story, long ago, on this very subject - IIRC it was amusing but also touching.  I'm not at a computer right now so perhaps someone else could look for it - was in one of his early collections.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 03:20:54 PM »

"My earthling brothers, have you heard the good news? Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 03:41:15 PM »

"My earthling brothers, have you heard the good news? Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:48:00 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »

They'll probably start spreading these:

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 06:03:22 PM »

Can't remember the name offhand but Ray Bradbury wrote a short story, long ago, on this very subject - IIRC it was amusing but also touching.  I'm not at a computer right now so perhaps someone else could look for it - was in one of his early collections.

http://onefracturedfairytale.blogspot.com/2007/11/christus-apollo-by-ray-bradbury.html

Maybe you meant this. (remember, it's just fiction!)

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 06:05:46 PM »

The truth is out there

monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 01:13:37 PM »

Or does the fall of us humans affect all creation?

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 10:27:06 AM »

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »

It would hasten Orthodoxy's plunge into irrelevancy.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 11:06:19 AM »

That assumes Orthodoxy is irrelevant.

What is the implication if no sentient life is ever found, or more, it is found no sentient alien exists?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 11:32:28 AM »

What is the implication if no sentient life is ever found, or more, it is found no sentient alien exists?

I don't think Orthodoxy is totally irrelevant, I just think it is moving in that direction. Orthodoxy used to be all about "baptizing" pagan customs, meeting intellectual opponents head on, and transforming individual lives. Now it's just about the last one, and unable or unwilling to do the first two. True, every once in a while you will get someone who is Orthodox that will engage the surrounding culture: maybe this person is interested in bioethics, maybe that person is interested in using his past experience in punk music to do missionary work. But these are exceptions to the rule.

Regarding your question, as with 90% of the evidence for or against religion, God, etc., I would certainly take into consideration such findings, but I don't think it would be a strong mark in favor of either side (though I admit that I haven't thought about it much).

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 11:38:04 AM »

I think we would have to consider what we mean by "human". When we talk of "humanity" are we talking of our particular biological species or are we talking about any created, limitted, self-sentient, intelligent beings?

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 11:42:06 AM »

Live-chat with Brother Guy Consolmagno, and his video-taped lecture, "Cosmology: Making Sense of the Universe".
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 11:45:26 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: Vatican science aliens 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: