OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 12:58:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My New Neighbors  (Read 741 times) Average Rating: 0
Linus7
Archon

« on: March 09, 2004, 10:38:39 PM »

A Serbian family just moved in next door to me. Well, they are Americans now; their two boys don't even speak much Serbian, but the parents are native Serbs.

They are Orthodox but don't seem especially religious. In fact, since there is no Orthodox church within what they consider reasonable driving distance, they have been - gasp! - sending the boys to a local Baptist church.

Now, if I can just find a few more families, maybe we could get a missionary parish started here.  Cool

Those two boys need it (we all do).

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 03:51:34 AM »

Sounds like God placed them next to you for a reason Smiley. They sure sound like they could use your support (and a little enlightening Sad)

John.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 01:52:09 PM »

Maybe you're right.

The problem is that they don't want to drive the 1 hour + that it takes to reach our Orthodox Church, and there is not enough room in our car for all of us.

I tried once before to get a mission parish started in my area and even contacted a certain well-known Orthodox jurisdiction (which shall remain nameless) for that purpose. That jurisdiction send me some sparse instructions, and I even conversed by phone with an overworked priest, who is tasked with his own parish and with running mission programs for the Middle Atlantic region.

What it amounted to was this: "You set it all up and get it running, and then we'll send you a priest."

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: