OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 08:30:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Brother" Nathanael Kapner and "Real Zionist News"  (Read 4685 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: September 17, 2010, 05:08:12 PM »

Has anyone heard of this guy? He claims to be Orthodox, and a monastic of some sort. He just seems like a self-hating lunatic to me.

Here's his website: http://www.realzionistnews.com/

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:10:40 PM »

There are some old threads about him. You can try using the search engine. AFAIK he is a former ROCOR Novitiate.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 05:29:07 PM »

Not ROCOR.  Mr. Kapner was for a while with Gregory of Colorado and ROAC.  He was never a full monk there that I know of, nor ordained.  His leaving the monastery involved the police and conflict between him and those in the institution.  The E-Cafe had some threads about it and with his posting.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:32:03 PM »

enjoy:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17837.0.html
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,8692.0.html

He even used to post here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1667
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:32:51 PM by mike » Logged
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 01:19:01 PM »

Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

Faith: Old Rite Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Metr. Kornilii of Russia

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 04:32:08 AM »

Several years ago, I listened to an interview of brother Nathanael which happened to concern the jewish holocaust, but the real reason was I wanted to give him a listen rather than that particular subject.  I listened attentively to discern if certain points of his would violate my conscience in lieu of Saint Paul's instructions to Christians concerning jews and found Brother Nathanael to be quite fair. 
Although I agreed with his analysis, I was already very familiar with the points which he made which perhaps explains my subsequent disinterest.

For the first time in several years, I saw a video by Brother Nathanael contrasting President Putin with Barack Obama in which he also starkly contrasted Russian and American culture.  True to form, Brother Nathanael is unashamed to voice his unpopular traditional views about basic morals. 

Nice to hear someone saying what Brother Nathanael says.  He has good videos and a good website.
We have got to love and respect this brother. 
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:32:58 AM »

Not this again.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 04:36:43 AM »

Not this again.
I take it by your comment that Brother Nathanael has other friends on this forum.

Does anyone have a working link to a richer thread on the subject?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:48:13 AM by Dionysii » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 04:46:34 AM »

Dionysii, "Brother" Nathanael did join this forum a few years ago, and was banned after just four posts. That speaks volumes.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 04:50:12 AM »

I am familiar with his reputation.  Thanks for the links.  
However, I already tried those links, and they do not work.

Anyway, I find his videos positive and uplifting.  
The opinions he expresses in the US these days are a like a cactus fat with water in the middle of the desert
or an Orthodox Church with liturgy inside to a Christian living in the atheistic Soviet Union.  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:59:34 AM by Dionysii » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 04:52:39 AM »

The first one does. I just checked it.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 04:58:35 AM »

The first one does. I just checked it.
Does it link to a political or limited access thread?
That would explain why it doesn't link to anything on my end.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 05:03:05 AM »

It's in the "Orthodox-Other Private Discussions" section. No surprise there.
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 09:55:13 AM »

Does it speak volumes?  It is unclear to me from his posts why he was banned.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »

In my observation, it takes quite some time, and following numerous moderatorial actions, before the red dot comes out. Most of the fast bans I've seen are for obvious breaches such as duplicate accounts, or sustained intemperate language.
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 10:28:16 AM »

In my observation, it takes quite some time, and following numerous moderatorial actions, before the red dot comes out. Most of the fast bans I've seen are for obvious breaches such as duplicate accounts, or sustained intemperate language.

Usually, but in this case it is unclear.  Perhaps a mod who knows the circumstances can explain why he was banned?  Or is this question not allowed to be asked? 
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »

Usually, but in this case it is unclear.  Perhaps a mod who knows the circumstances can explain why he was banned?  Or is this question not allowed to be asked? 
Good question.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 01:54:36 PM »

Oh dear, the subject rests for a while and then rears its head again, again and again. The guy appears quite driven, clearly does a lot of research, but could you consider all the same 'evidence' and come to a different conclusion than he does?

I heard him criticised as being a self hating Jew, but feel this sort of labelling may stem from an attempt to label him in way that conveniently avoids any need to deal with the issues, views and conclusions he comes up with.

His contrasting of President Obama and President Putin amused but I never lost sight of Putin's background as a KGB/FSB officer. Disinformation was and still is a tool of this organisation. So I question (1) why should place too much confidence in Putin's seeming religious convictions, and (2) why is someone as cynical as Bro Nathanael so readily taken in by the Russian Federation leader's stance? As for President Obama, he simply appears to me at least as another worldly politician simply courting this, that the other constituency vote rather than a conviction politician. But that is only my opinion.

Bro Nathanael on the other hand leaves me with a feeling of unease, even when he says something I might agree with.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:55:53 PM by Santagranddad » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »

Bro Nathanael on the other hand leaves me with a feeling of unease, even when he says something I might agree with.

Watch this video and tell me that he isn't the coolest guy ever. Just try! That delivery is soooooo soothing.  angel

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »

Watch this video and tell me that he isn't the coolest guy ever. Just try! That delivery is soooooo soothing.  angel

Is that poetry?
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 02:09:52 PM »

Watched.  He isn't.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »

Coolest?.. Soothing? Irritating, like a car salesman trying too hard as I recall from earlier exposure. So please forgive me but I will pass what all too often appears a parody.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 02:46:14 PM »

For whatever reason, it looks like we have a different take on this guy.

I have recently discovered Kropotkin's anarchist book on mutual aid which combats both Darwin's theory and capitalism.  His central theme is that cooperation and mutual aid have always characterized success - not competition nor survival of the fittest.  
It seems to me that American society prefers the latter.  In my mind, that path includes ridicule and a general lack of a will to understand.  
It tends to division and ultimately an undesirable end.  

Everyone is free to their own opinions, but I fail to see in Brother Nathanael what causes dismay in certain others.  
He is not in my jurisdiction, but I see in him a kindred spirit that preserves the comradery and spirit of Eastern Orthodoxy.
I hope that spirit is not alien to americans.  
He has learned to express unpopular and ugly truths in a kind way.  
That is an example that I find commendable - especially considering the spirit of these times.  

The facts Brother Nathanael states about Russian and American culture are all true.  I have learned through experience that some Nikonians (aka Orthodox) often have problems with simple truths like this which are obvious to the unprejudiced.  I feel better and more innocent when free of their advice which strikes me as servile to a system which is more thoroughly demonic than Russian politics.  My conscience thus serves as a guide.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:52:50 PM by Dionysii » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »

Note: my last post was before I decided to use purple-colored text in situations in which I was not being serious. I believe my overly-subtle clues like exclamation points at the end of silly sentences and lengthening words with five more vowels than needed will become more understandable in the future.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »

I think his assessment (in the comments of one of his recent Youtube videos) that Sonya Sotomayor is secretly a S'phardi Jew is probably nonsense.

Otherwise, I don't mind him.  To say he goes way overboard often is an understatement, but it is hard to deny much of what he has said.   

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: