OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 09:40:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my faith is weak, please pray for me!  (Read 765 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:26 PM »

I am struggling.  I love Orthodoxy, but there are some things about confession that I doubt.  I am actually having the same doubts and questions that Martin Luther had  Embarrassed  In my struggle to be a good Christian, I try to make sure I'm doing what's right in the Lord's eyes and according to his word.  please pray that he will not forsake me!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »

Are you interested in discussing your doubts or do you just want prayer?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:55:07 PM »

Make sure you don't burn out.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:59:24 PM »

please forgive me, all!  I sat in on a non-denom Christian group yesterday and they spoke about their beliefs and their....well....almost anti-denominational.  they say "they don't need the bonds of religion to keep them from Jesus" etc. etc. 

forgive me!  these beliefs krept into my heart, but I have been healed.  I said an akathyst to the Mother of God, and lit a candle by her icon.  I am better. Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 03:17:06 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 03:23:47 PM »

I am struggling.  I love Orthodoxy, but there are some things about confession that I doubt.  I am actually having the same doubts and questions that Martin Luther had  Embarrassed  In my struggle to be a good Christian, I try to make sure I'm doing what's right in the Lord's eyes and according to his word.  please pray that he will not forsake me!

+Lord, have mercy. I think it is quite normal for all of us to have these "Lutheran" doubts.Smiley Just keep your prayer rule, pray in front of the Holy Icons, crossing yourself. Remain in touch with your priest and parish. Partake in the Holy Eucharist with them. You will be just fine.

Love never fails.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 04:20:01 PM »

Young Luther wanted moral self-satisfaction. First he tried to get it through confession in the RC church. Obsessed with confessing every thing, being scrupulous, ignoring the direction of his spiritual director to chill out and rest in the Grace of God. Then Luther tried to get moral self-satisfaction by denying the efficacy or at least sacramentality of auricular confession altogether. Inventing ideas of sola fide and eternal security so he didn't have to feel stressed out.

The goal of Orthodoxy is not moral self-satisfaction, nor security, but union with Christ, which comes about by the Grace of God. Just trust God with everything. Cling to Him and to His Church and you will have peace.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 05:19:22 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

You will struggle with belief your entire life. Just remember that the struggle is what purifies us.

Regarding sitting in on the other group, this is one of the reasons why the canons forbid us to pray with heretics. You are not supposed to be doing this, so I would advise against any official religious contact with them. Sure, meet and discuss things, but you should not make a habit of meeting with them if it places Orthodoxy on an ontologically "equal" level with their denominations. Remember that Orthodoxy is not a denomination of Christianity. Orthodoxy is the Church Herself, the one which all of their groups were once a part of, if you follow history back far enough.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 06:13:34 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:51:54 PM »

Lord have mercy!
militantsparrow
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 09:10:56 PM »

Lord have mercy.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: