Author Topic: Sourozh and Korsun  (Read 662 times)

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
Sourozh and Korsun
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:52:07 AM »
Why do ROC Dioceses have names based on nonexistent cities on Crimea while Greek/Antiochian/Georgian/Serbian/Romanian/Bulgarian/ROCOR Western European Dioceses have normal names? Was it in order not to annoy the EP or maybe ROCOR?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:58:17 AM by mike »

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
    • Facebook
Re: Sourozh and Korsun
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:58:54 AM »

Archbishop of Thyatira and Britain doesn't fit that bill?
I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:00:30 AM »
First of all he is the only one EP Bishop with such a thing, the remaining have not. And it has "Great Britain" after all.

Offline Gorazd

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:11:55 AM »
Why do ROC Dioceses have names based on nonexistent cities on Crimea while Greek/Antiochian/Georgian/Serbian/Romanian/Bulgarian/ROCOR Western European Dioceses have normal names? Was it in order not to annoy the EP or maybe ROCOR?
For Sorouzh, I suppose it is because of some English law which forbids non-Anglican churches to have dioceses in the same name. Evben the Roman Catholic Church does not have a diocese of London, but of Westminster...

For Korsun I have no idea. But here in Germany, there is an MP "diocese of Berlin and all Germany" - and ROCOR has one with the same name. The EP has a "Greek Orthodox Metropolia of Germany" (and three parishes under the Paris exarchate).

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:31:58 AM »
But ROCOR has a Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland.

Offline Gorazd

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 11:45:55 AM »
But ROCOR has a Diocese of Great Britain and Ireland.

Yes, but not "of London" for aforementioned reasons. Actually its bishop used to be called "bishop of Richmond", now episcopal see of the diocese is vacant.