OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 06:11:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Holy Eucharist  (Read 424 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:14:22 AM »

As yet, I have not been chrismated, though I pray I will be able to eventually.  angel Therefore this question is not yet directly applicable to me; however, it did pop into my mind and I would wonder about the correct answer. Any help is much appreciated.

I am aware that on certain days of the year, there are weekday liturgies. It has happened that on a few days over the course of the past year, I've had to get some dental work done. There is a very small chance that these two things may some day coincide. Hypothetically, let's say my dental appointment (such as a simple dental cleaning) were very early in the morning, and didn't take too long, so that it were possible for me to go there and then be able to afterwards go to church. Would it be permissible, under Orthodox practice, for a person to receive Communion on the same day, or would the person be required to not receive Communion?

(Where I live, dentists generally aren't open on Sundays, so that's not an issue.)

I know this may sound like an odd question, but it was just something that came to mind. Thank you.   Cheesy

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 09:27:05 AM »

As yet, I have not been chrismated, though I pray I will be able to eventually.  angel Therefore this question is not yet directly applicable to me; however, it did pop into my mind and I would wonder about the correct answer. Any help is much appreciated.

I am aware that on certain days of the year, there are weekday liturgies. It has happened that on a few days over the course of the past year, I've had to get some dental work done. There is a very small chance that these two things may some day coincide. Hypothetically, let's say my dental appointment (such as a simple dental cleaning) were very early in the morning, and didn't take too long, so that it were possible for me to go there and then be able to afterwards go to church. Would it be permissible, under Orthodox practice, for a person to receive Communion on the same day, or would the person be required to not receive Communion?

(Where I live, dentists generally aren't open on Sundays, so that's not an issue.)

I know this may sound like an odd question, but it was just something that came to mind. Thank you.   Cheesy

That's an interesting question, one that I have not encountered before.  Theoretically, if you're not consuming anything (and usually at the Dentist's office they encourage you not to swallow the stuff they put into your mouth) then the Communion fast has been maintained.  So if you are otherwise prepared for communion, and you're not swallowing the dental cleaning stuff or the rinse, then you should be ok.  However, it is best to discuss this, once it becomes applicable, with your parish priest.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:29:25 AM »

Thank you very much.    Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: