Author Topic: Question about Holy Eucharist  (Read 1014 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Question about Holy Eucharist
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:14:22 AM »
As yet, I have not been chrismated, though I pray I will be able to eventually.  :angel: Therefore this question is not yet directly applicable to me; however, it did pop into my mind and I would wonder about the correct answer. Any help is much appreciated.

I am aware that on certain days of the year, there are weekday liturgies. It has happened that on a few days over the course of the past year, I've had to get some dental work done. There is a very small chance that these two things may some day coincide. Hypothetically, let's say my dental appointment (such as a simple dental cleaning) were very early in the morning, and didn't take too long, so that it were possible for me to go there and then be able to afterwards go to church. Would it be permissible, under Orthodox practice, for a person to receive Communion on the same day, or would the person be required to not receive Communion?

(Where I live, dentists generally aren't open on Sundays, so that's not an issue.)

I know this may sound like an odd question, but it was just something that came to mind. Thank you.   :D
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Question about Holy Eucharist
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 09:27:05 AM »
As yet, I have not been chrismated, though I pray I will be able to eventually.  :angel: Therefore this question is not yet directly applicable to me; however, it did pop into my mind and I would wonder about the correct answer. Any help is much appreciated.

I am aware that on certain days of the year, there are weekday liturgies. It has happened that on a few days over the course of the past year, I've had to get some dental work done. There is a very small chance that these two things may some day coincide. Hypothetically, let's say my dental appointment (such as a simple dental cleaning) were very early in the morning, and didn't take too long, so that it were possible for me to go there and then be able to afterwards go to church. Would it be permissible, under Orthodox practice, for a person to receive Communion on the same day, or would the person be required to not receive Communion?

(Where I live, dentists generally aren't open on Sundays, so that's not an issue.)

I know this may sound like an odd question, but it was just something that came to mind. Thank you.   :D

That's an interesting question, one that I have not encountered before.  Theoretically, if you're not consuming anything (and usually at the Dentist's office they encourage you not to swallow the stuff they put into your mouth) then the Communion fast has been maintained.  So if you are otherwise prepared for communion, and you're not swallowing the dental cleaning stuff or the rinse, then you should be ok.  However, it is best to discuss this, once it becomes applicable, with your parish priest.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.   

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:29:25 AM »
Thank you very much.    :)
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:12:52 AM »
Hopefully, the hygienist and dentist are gentle.  If your gums are bleeding, you shouldn't receive communion.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:23:44 PM »
Hopefully, the hygienist and dentist are gentle.  If your gums are bleeding, you shouldn't receive communion.

Just out of curiosity, why not? And on what authority do you say this?

All of these Communion fast questions ought to be discussed with your priest, I would think. My guess is that at least some priests would allow someone who had a health issue to take morning medicine and the liquid or food that had to accompany it rather than have them keel over dead during the service. But I'm not a priest so don't know for sure.

All of this fast pedantry seems to focus on the outward form in an almost superstitious manner and miss the call for contrite reverence that underlies the fast, if you ask me. But that's not to say we should all feel free to wolf down MacDonalds burgers before communing.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 01:30:18 PM »

Just out of curiosity, why not? And on what authority do you say this?

All of these Communion fast questions ought to be discussed with your priest, I would think. My guess is that at least some priests would allow someone who had a health issue to take morning medicine and the liquid or food that had to accompany it rather than have them keel over dead during the service. But I'm not a priest so don't know for sure.

All of this fast pedantry seems to focus on the outward form in an almost superstitious manner and miss the call for contrite reverence that underlies the fast, if you ask me. But that's not to say we should all feel free to wolf down MacDonalds burgers before communing.

Well said. In this world nowadays we seem to tend to be either sloppy and self-excusing or obsessive and wretched (the latter is uncommon but I've seen it and it's painful to see). True spiritual discipline should work against either to bring a cure of sober moderation and, as you said, reverence.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:31:19 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 01:37:43 PM »
I suspect Hecma was not serious. In any case, there is a general custom/ rule of not communing while bleeding, with the idea that you might somehow be leaking out the body and blood. Even accepting this rationale, though, it wouldn't seem to apply for bleeding gums unless you're spitting the blood everywhere.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 01:38:50 PM »
either way, her gums healed 7 years ago/....;)
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 01:39:04 PM »
I suspect Hecma was not serious. In any case, there is a general custom/ rule of not communing while bleeding, with the idea that you might somehow be leaking out the body and blood. Even accepting this rationale, though, it wouldn't seem to apply for bleeding gums unless you're spitting the blood everywhere.

Oh gosh.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:47:24 PM »

It really depends if you like to spit or swallow post-dental work.  The taste of blood mixed with anti-septic is not very good.  Maybe if your parish uses Commandaria for wine, it will cover up the taste.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:48:19 PM »

How do you know that?  Are you clairvoyant?   :o

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 01:58:09 PM »

How do you know that?  Are you clairvoyant?   :o

Fine, if you prefer to imagine her with perpetually bleeding gums.....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 02:00:41 PM »

I don't think the reply was serious either. But the OP question was asked in the Convert Issues section where sarcastic humour might not be appropriate.