OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 04:21:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An own goal of English RC Bishops  (Read 807 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: September 14, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »

I don't like to deride  from the non-Orthodox but this is the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311182/The-Pope-star-headlining-gig-near-Catholic-bishops-cringe-making-guide-Papal-visit.html

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »

The Dailymail News. They don't have an anti-catholic slant at all...

On a different note: The Papal Visit Team has made an abortion of this whole thing. It looks more like a Woodstock concert than a visit by the most well know religious leader in the world.

I'm going to need this.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 02:42:40 PM »

On a different note: The Papal Visit Team has made an abortion of this whole thing. It looks more like a Woodstock concert than a visit by the most well know religious leader in the world.

Would you have said the same thing of Jesus speaking to the five-thousand?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 05:56:44 PM »

It has nothing to do with the quantity of the people or anything down that line. I'm talking solely on artistic style and a lack of a traditional Mass. This would include the Star Trek Enterprise bridge that the Pope said Mass on, some of the music selection, and the brochure that related all the items of Mass in common lingo to literally that of a rock concert (among others).

So as far as a public Mass worthy of a Pope, it was not at the standard it should be (aka total abortion).

I'm going to need this.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 09:25:46 PM »

Any chance you'd consider using a word other than "abortion"?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 09:36:33 PM »

It was... an embarrassment to the tradition and faith that Catholicism has to offer.

I'm going to need this.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 09:40:28 PM »

Thanks, that's marginally less disturbing. Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 10:09:06 AM »

It has nothing to do with the quantity of the people or anything down that line. I'm talking solely on artistic style and a lack of a traditional Mass. This would include the Star Trek Enterprise bridge that the Pope said Mass on, some of the music selection, and the brochure that related all the items of Mass in common lingo to literally that of a rock concert (among others).

So as far as a public Mass worthy of a Pope, it was not at the standard it should be (aka total abortion).

I happen to like Star Trek... ;-)

But I understand your sensitivities.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 11:17:06 PM »

Those things notwithstanding, the papal visit was a great success! No matter how much the Catholic Bishops of England and Wales tried to turn it into a train wreck, this great Supreme Pontiff pulled it off. David Cameron said it best when he commented that the Holy Father "really challenged the whole country to sit up and think, and that is a good thing."

The fact that the rabid anti-Catholic media, which was foaming at the mouth in venomous hysteria on the eve of his visit, had to give him some grudging respect by the end, shows what a success it was.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:17:21 PM by lubeltri » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 11:24:34 PM »

Anyone else have a problem with the fact that they referred to the Blessed Sacrament as "bread and wine"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked, Catholics share our view that it is the Body and Blood of our Lord.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 01:20:52 AM »

Anyone else have a problem with the fact that they referred to the Blessed Sacrament as "bread and wine"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked, Catholics share our view that it is the Body and Blood of our Lord.

Out of all the horrendous terminology used in the brochure, I actually find this the least offensive because St Paul actually used the word "bread" to describe the Eucharist in 1 Corinthians 10:16-17 and 11:26-30. I definitely find it less offensive than describing a bishop as a "headline act", a sanctuary as a "stage", or the congregation as an "audience".

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: