OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 02:40:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should I let them know?  (Voting closed: September 18, 2010, 08:27:19 AM)
YES - 7 (87.5%)
NO - 1 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Requesting advice  (Read 754 times) Average Rating: 0
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« on: September 14, 2010, 08:27:19 AM »

Waiting for your precious advice.

I was born into a Muslim family, but decided to follow Christ in 1994. I received baptism 13 years ago, but have not changed my id card after the baptism because my parents were worried that replacing Islam with Christianity on my id card could cause me much trouble in the army. Having finished my military service, I think it is the right time to make that change now and let the government know of my conversion.

Advantages of the change: In case of sudden death, I shall (hopefully) be given a Christian burial service. (The latest political developments in my country say that we may have a civil war soon or a dictatorship that will wipe out its opponents.)

Disadvantages of the change: I have a temporary job and have been looking for a good permanent job since I graduated from college. It seems that I am not lucky enough to get the job of my expertise, if not of my dreams. Some relatives say that many employers will practice discrimination and elimination if they see the word Christian on my id card. This will make my survival rather difficult or even impossible.

What is your suggestion? YES or NO? Please state your opinion in addition to casting your vote.

Thanks from now  angel

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 12:03:08 PM »

Pozdrav....

I say no ,As  Holy Scriptures Say's ,Be wise as a serpent but gentle as Dove....
Not Changing your id card , Isn't denying Christ , You can always confess Christ on a one on one interaction,
with Muslims........If it's Going to Affect you Job Opportunities leave your Card the way it is.....

Unless You feel  your Being Called to  Martyrdom or something......... Grin

But in the End It's what You want that Counts..........
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:05:33 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »

Pozdrav brate,

It is really a difficult decision for me. It is going to have significant effects on the rest of my life.  Undecided

I pray God will guide me to His will and choice.

I cannot find a good job even now.  Grin Maybe things will change for the better if I get rid of Islam officially. Time will tell. I must pray harder and seek God's guidance in my dreams.

Thanks for your voting and opinion. God bless!

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »

Few people have voted so far. I wish more people would vote and state their opinion.  Sad

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:19:54 AM »

Theophilos,

You are in such a tough predicament, one that few of us will ever experience, and therefore we are not qualified to give you an answer.

Besides, it is such an important move...which might have huge repercussions on your life...and we don't want the responsibility of making your life even harder than it must already be.

I read your post yesterday, and hesitated in replying for all the above reasons.

However, since you ask again....my thoughts would be to rid yourself of Islam in all its forms.  Yes, your life might be impacted for this move.  You may not be able to find good employment, etc.  Put your trust in the Lord and He will see you through it all.

This week I received a letter from the Ecumenical Patriarchate in response to an email I had sent asking how we could help the remaining Christian families who are persecuted in Turkey.  I had written on behalf of my church's youth organization in hopes of finding a way for the kids to get involved.

While no "physical" action was requested, the letter was nonetheless moving and instructive.  You might find the words meaningful.  God bless you and help you always, no matter what you chose to do.

In response to your inquiry as to how you may help the Orthodox Community in Turkey, you are invited to pray persistently for the "stability of the holy churches of God."  Continue to live in a manner worthy of emulation, as St. Peter says in his Epistle, "Live such good lives among the unfaithful that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us."  Therefore, as beloved spiritual children of the Mother Church of Constantinople, you are called to serve as ambassadors of the Gospel, of love and peace in our world.  Love is the driving force of our Orthodox witness and essential for our Salvation.  "This is my commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you...pray for those who persecute you!"  With these words of our Lord in mind, bear witness to the salvific message of our Faith by continuing your charitable acts and philanthropic endeavors, as well as by living faithfully, so that through your example, you may convert not only your own hearts, but the hearts of those who persecute you.  (Archimandrite Elpidophoros Lambriniadis - Chief Secretary)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:20:10 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:29:11 AM »

Do you have the ability to relocate to somewhere that has more opportunities in your field of expertise?

Anyway, I voted yes.  Not because for some "Christian witness" reason, nor the funeral aspect, but because it is your right as a human being.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:31:57 AM by Entscheidungsproblem » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 12:13:48 PM »

Pozdrav brate,

It is really a difficult decision for me. It is going to have significant effects on the rest of my life.  Undecided

I pray God will guide me to His will and choice.

I cannot find a good job even now.  Grin Maybe things will change for the better if I get rid of Islam officially. Time will tell. I must pray harder and seek God's guidance in my dreams.

Thanks for your voting and opinion. God bless!

Pozdrav Again...

The dream thing mentioned above kind of  Bothers me.......If you must get Inspiration get it from  Holy Scripture and Holy Fathers writings....In The Holy Scriptures that mention dreams ,they were Interpreted by someone else ,Not the dreamer...Though St .Joseph was told clearly in a dream By A Angel to wake up and take Holy Mary And the Infant Child Jesus and flee to Egypt.....So Be carefull Following Advice From dreams.... Grin
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:27:41 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 12:24:19 PM »

I feel unqualified to offer any advice. I am not facing the difficulties and persecution that you are, and as Pink Floyd once sang:

"Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died"

It would be one thing if you and I were living in the same city, and knew that both of us would have repercussions from our actions by the civil authorities. But, for me to suggest that you should do something that would cause you to suffer while I stay in my own semi-comfortable surroundings does not sit well with me. I am called to share your burden, not to observe your suffering from a distance and be grateful I am not there by your side.

So I don't feel that I can tell you anything other than:

-Pray and seek to discern the Lord's will on this; and
-Know that you are in my unworthy prayers, and I'm sure in other's prayers as well.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 02:10:40 PM »

Do you have the ability to relocate to somewhere that has more opportunities in your field of expertise?

Things would not change unless I left my country since corruption (self-favouritism and discrimination) is everywhere here.

Thanks for your vote and suggestion.

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »

Theophilos,

You are in such a tough predicament, one that few of us will ever experience, and therefore we are not qualified to give you an answer.

Besides, it is such an important move...which might have huge repercussions on your life...and we don't want the responsibility of making your life even harder than it must already be.

I read your post yesterday, and hesitated in replying for all the above reasons.

However, since you ask again....my thoughts would be to rid yourself of Islam in all its forms.  Yes, your life might be impacted for this move.  You may not be able to find good employment, etc.  Put your trust in the Lord and He will see you through it all.

This week I received a letter from the Ecumenical Patriarchate in response to an email I had sent asking how we could help the remaining Christian families who are persecuted in Turkey.  I had written on behalf of my church's youth organization in hopes of finding a way for the kids to get involved.

While no "physical" action was requested, the letter was nonetheless moving and instructive.  You might find the words meaningful.  God bless you and help you always, no matter what you chose to do.

In response to your inquiry as to how you may help the Orthodox Community in Turkey, you are invited to pray persistently for the "stability of the holy churches of God."  Continue to live in a manner worthy of emulation, as St. Peter says in his Epistle, "Live such good lives among the unfaithful that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us."  Therefore, as beloved spiritual children of the Mother Church of Constantinople, you are called to serve as ambassadors of the Gospel, of love and peace in our world.  Love is the driving force of our Orthodox witness and essential for our Salvation.  "This is my commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you...pray for those who persecute you!"  With these words of our Lord in mind, bear witness to the salvific message of our Faith by continuing your charitable acts and philanthropic endeavors, as well as by living faithfully, so that through your example, you may convert not only your own hearts, but the hearts of those who persecute you.  (Archimandrite Elpidophoros Lambriniadis - Chief Secretary)

Thanks for your kindness and sharing with me this comforting message.  angel

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »

I feel unqualified to offer any advice. I am not facing the difficulties and persecution that you are, and as Pink Floyd once sang:

"Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died"

It would be one thing if you and I were living in the same city, and knew that both of us would have repercussions from our actions by the civil authorities. But, for me to suggest that you should do something that would cause you to suffer while I stay in my own semi-comfortable surroundings does not sit well with me. I am called to share your burden, not to observe your suffering from a distance and be grateful I am not there by your side.

So I don't feel that I can tell you anything other than:

-Pray and seek to discern the Lord's will on this; and
-Know that you are in my unworthy prayers, and I'm sure in other's prayers as well.

Father,

Thanks for these sincere and wise words. Keep me in your prayers please.

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 02:15:21 PM »

Pozdrav Again...

The dream thing mentioned above kind of  Bothers me.......If you must get Inspiration get it from  Holy Scripture and Holy Fathers writings....In The Holy Scriptures that mention dreams ,they were Interpreted by someone else ,Not the dreamer...Though St .Joseph was told clearly in a dream By A Angel to wake up and take Holy Mary And the Infant Child Jesus and flee to Egypt.....So Be carefull Following Advice From dreams.... Grin

Pozdrav back, brate  Grin

I believe that God talks to me and warns me of certain things in my dreams before they happen in real life. This is a matter of experience, but I shall still take your advice into account and be careful.  Wink

Tags: baptism identity Islam 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: