Author Topic: Exhibit of Kontoglou's Icons sponsored by new Center at HCHC  (Read 1941 times)

Offline pensateomnia

• Bibliophylax
  • Archon
  • metron ariston
Exhibit of Kontoglou's Icons sponsored by new Center at HCHC
« on: September 13, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »
INAUGURAL CELEBRATION FOR THE MARY JAHARIS CENTER FOR BYZANTINE ART AND CULTURE IS SATURDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2010

The Mary Jaharis Center for Byzantine Art and Culture has been established on the campus of Hellenic College and Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology in Brookline, Massachusetts, as a result of a $3 million donation from The Jaharis Family Foundation.  The Center will serve as a premier international research center for the promotion of Byzantine art and culture and host a series of academic programs including seminars, conferences, visiting scholars, special events and art programs.  The inaugural celebration will take place on Saturday, October 2, 2010 from 3:00 - 7:30pm.  Attendance is by invitation only.

The inaugural event will feature an exhibition of icons, curated by the Very Reverend Dr. Joachim Cotsonis, called Kontoglou: The Return of the Byzantine Icon which serves as a tribute to Photis Kontoglou, a leading figure in the revival of Byzantine style icon painting in Greece and the United States.

The exhibition of icons will be open to the public for viewing starting, October 4 through November 5, 2010, Monday through Friday, from 10am to 5pm in the Reading Room of the Archbishop Iakovos Library Building at 50 Goddard Avenue in Brookline, Massachusetts on the campus of Hellenic College and Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology.

For more information on the Kontoglou exhibit and the Mary Jaharis Center for Byzantine Art and Culture, please call Dr. Maria Kouroumali, Director of the Mary Jaharis Center for Byzantine Art and Culture at 617-850-1264.
But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)

Offline monkvasyl

• High Elder
Re: Exhibit of Kontoglou's Icons sponsored by new Center at HCHC
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:18:45 PM »
Too bad there isn't any weekend viewing times.  I work from 9am to 5:30pm... :'(
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

Offline pensateomnia

• Bibliophylax
  • Archon
  • metron ariston
Re: Exhibit of Kontoglou's Icons sponsored by new Center at HCHC
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:34:29 PM »
Too bad there isn't any weekend viewing times.  I work from 9am to 5:30pm... :'(

I imagine Fr. Joachim could be convinced to let you in some evening after hours. Just ask. Or, as a local clergyman, you could call Dr. Maria Kouroumali and request an invitation to the inaugural celebration on Saturday, October 2. I'm sure she'd be happy for you to come.
But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)