OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 03:58:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skvira Website  (Read 1525 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: September 13, 2010, 10:45:45 AM »

I have some friends living close to the Ukrainian town of Skvira, and so I decided to do some research on the city. I found this website: http://www.skvira.com/ and began to read it. On the left hand side you will find a list of the contents of the site and at the bottom is "Religion". Out of curiosity, I clicked on this and was dismayed to see that a huge amount of material is presented by the Evangelical Christians. There is a link to all the various religious organizations of the town (there are nine listed) and only three of them are Orthodox churches-the rest are Presbyterian, Pentecostals, Baptists, Full-Gospel, Jewish, etc. Is this becoming the norm in Ukraine these days? At this rate, I think the country will soon be more Evangelical than Orthodox. I am completely shocked to see how much space is devoted to outright Protestant evangelization on the Skvira town website!! What are your feelings/thoughts?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:10:33 PM »

I have some friends living close to the Ukrainian town of Skvira, and so I decided to do some research on the city. I found this website: http://www.skvira.com/ and began to read it. On the left hand side you will find a list of the contents of the site and at the bottom is "Religion". Out of curiosity, I clicked on this and was dismayed to see that a huge amount of material is presented by the Evangelical Christians. There is a link to all the various religious organizations of the town (there are nine listed) and only three of them are Orthodox churches-the rest are Presbyterian, Pentecostals, Baptists, Full-Gospel, Jewish, etc. Is this becoming the norm in Ukraine these days? At this rate, I think the country will soon be more Evangelical than Orthodox. I am completely shocked to see how much space is devoted to outright Protestant evangelization on the Skvira town website!! What are your feelings/thoughts?

I am not sure about the quantitative side, but yes, the presence of Evangelical Protestants in Ukrainian cities seems to be very strong. In Kyiv, there is a real megachurch that calls itself "Embassy of God," led by a pastor from Nigeria, called Sunday Adelaja. The former Mayor of Kyiv, Leonid Chernovets'kyj, is Adelaja's best friend and follower. They seem to be more of a charismatic bend, with roaring electric guitars, drums, hand-waving, etc.

I have a few Facebook friends who are Ukrainian Evangelicals (one Baptist, one Seventh Day Adventist, and one undefined). They are nice people, very erudite in the Bible but quite ignorant in the history and teachings of the Orthodox Church.

Love never fails.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:11:42 PM »

Pentecostals are very active among the Orthodox Podlachian Belarusians in Poland.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 12:32:59 PM »

But is this normal to have the "religion" section of an official Ukrainian town website completely devoted to and compiled by Evangelicals? It seems even in North America it would be odd...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:41:15 PM »

But is this normal to have the "religion" section of an official Ukrainian town website completely devoted to and compiled by Evangelicals? It seems even in North America it would be odd...

You are right, I guess, it is odd... I will ask Taras Antoshevskyy, the director of RISU (Religious Information Service of Ukraine); we are good FB buddies.Smiley

Love never fails.
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »

Pentecostals are very active among the Orthodox Podlachian Belarusians in Poland.
Somehow amongst Polish Roman Catholics you do not see many Pentecostals. The majority of people here call them "sekciarze" which I would translate as "paranoid sectarians".
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »

You are right, I guess, it is odd... I will ask Taras Antoshevskyy, the director of RISU (Religious Information Service of Ukraine); we are good FB buddies.Smiley

How interesting, Heorhij! I shall look forward to his response! Thank you so much!

Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »

Here's his reply (copy-pasting from Facebook):

Taras Antoshevskyy September 15 at 2:11pm
Доброго дня!
Пане Юрію, перед нами приватний сайт якогось пана Зеленського, який очевидно є або сам протестант, або хтось в нього з таких осіб керує напрямком релігія. А протестанти такі, особливо новонавернені, що вони інших не визнають, зокрема нас з вами. Smiley Тому не дивуйтеся і таке передайте шановній пані Rosehip. Для нормальних є РІСУ! Smiley Його і варто читати! Smiley

(Translation: This is a PRIVATE Web site that belongs to a Mr. Zelenskyj, who either is a Protestant himself, or has someone who is Protestant and is responsible for the "Religion" section. Protestants, and especially newly converted ones, are peculiar in that they would ignore those who have other beliefs, i.e. people like you and me. Smiley So do not be surprised and send my greetings to dear Ms. Rosehip. Normal people can always count on RISU (http://risu.org.ua/en/index). That's the site worth reading! Smiley )

Love never fails.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »

Wasn't it original a Jewish city anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skver_(Hasidic_dynasty)
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »

What does that mean? Are Pentecostals trying to convert orthodox Podlachians, or is Pentecostalism actually tolerated within the ORthodox Church of Poland?

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »

They are "missionising".
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 12:03:03 PM »

Here's his reply (copy-pasting from Facebook):

Taras Antoshevskyy September 15 at 2:11pm
Доброго дня!
Пане Юрію, перед нами приватний сайт якогось пана Зеленського, який очевидно є або сам протестант, або хтось в нього з таких осіб керує напрямком релігія. А протестанти такі, особливо новонавернені, що вони інших не визнають, зокрема нас з вами. Smiley Тому не дивуйтеся і таке передайте шановній пані Rosehip. Для нормальних є РІСУ! Smiley Його і варто читати! Smiley

(Translation: This is a PRIVATE Web site that belongs to a Mr. Zelenskyj, who either is a Protestant himself, or has someone who is Protestant and is responsible for the "Religion" section. Protestants, and especially newly converted ones, are peculiar in that they would ignore those who have other beliefs, i.e. people like you and me. Smiley So do not be surprised and send my greetings to dear Ms. Rosehip. Normal people can always count on RISU (http://risu.org.ua/en/index). That's the site worth reading! Smiley )

Thanks, Heorhij, for taking the time to contact Taras on this matter. And thanks to Taras for his input and greetings-greetings back to him from me! I'm so glad to know about the RISU site-it truly looks interesting!

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 12:10:26 PM »

Wasn't it original a Jewish city anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skver_(Hasidic_dynasty)

Yes, I too discovered this interesting information about the Skver Chassidic Dynasty, and the fact that Skvera was indeed predominantly Jewish, as, indeed, were most of the towns surrounding Skvera (Bela Tserkov, Fastiv, Berdichev, etc, etc.). But Skvera's Chassidim were/ are indeed an interesting and unique lot. However, due to emmigration and pogroms, few Jews remain in Skvera presently, if I understand correctly the data which I read. Interestingly enough, the official Ukrainian website for Skvera says nary a word about the Jewish history of the place (at least from what I read and could understand-my Ukrainian is in need of improvement).

I do wonder though, if these Protestant churches which seem rather dominant in Skvera are populated by those of Jewish ancestry. I remember meeting many Jewish young men in the Baptist churches of Fastiv during my many trips to that city. Perhaps, indeed, this modest town was never a stronghold of Orthodox Christianity.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 12:13:12 PM by Rosehip » Logged

Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 01:18:54 PM »

my Ukrainian is in need of improvement
I can teach you one word: "Bela Tserkov" is called "Bila Tserkva" in Ukrainian. I actually have friends there who are getting married soon.

The place always had Orthodoxy and Judaism, thus the Orthodox sounding name. And here is the church that gave the name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Church_of_Bila_Tserkva.jpg

I do wonder though, if these Protestant churches which seem rather dominant in Skvera are populated by those of Jewish ancestry. I remember meeting many Jewish young men in the Baptist churches of Fastiv during my many trips to that city. Perhaps, indeed, this modest town was never a stronghold of Orthodox Christianity.
I don't knopw, but I suppose that if many Jews left, other people who were settled there instead did not have such a strong link to traditional culture and religion, since they came from different backgrounds, also different parts of the USSR...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:19:37 PM by Gorazd » Logged
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »

Ach, of course it's "Bila Tserkva"(White Church)... Embarrassed  Six years in Ukraine and all I know is my own befuddled brand of Surzhikh... Embarrassed Thanks for the correction!

Did you know that the Jewish population of Bila Tserkva generally refused to say they were from "White Church"? Instead, they named the city amongst themselves as either "White Fields" or "Black Abomination" (a play on the name White Church).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:42:06 PM by Rosehip » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: