OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 08:15:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Orthodox church near Atlanta  (Read 1103 times) Average Rating: 0
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« on: September 12, 2010, 01:50:10 PM »

I have so far only found two, one in Suwanee and one in Roswell. Can anyone tell me if there are any others closer to the city. Also is there any unique ettiquette I should follow relating to liturgy and such? FYI I am a member of the OCA

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:20:13 PM »

This is the only resource I could find:

http://www.suscopts.org/diocese/churches/

Georgia is at the bottom of the page.

As for etiquette, if you are polite and respectful I imagine you'll be OK.  :-)  Copts and other Oriental Orthodox cross themselves in the same direction as the Catholics.  If you click on the Coptic Orthodox Church tag below, you'll find many other threads about that Church.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »

What is the particular reason you are looking for a Coptic church? Is it one that wouldn't be satisfied by any other OO church?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:55:59 PM »

What is the particular reason you are looking for a Coptic church? Is it one that wouldn't be satisfied by any other OO church?
Well, it seems a little like going from Presbyterian (PCUSA) to a PCA church or from American Baptist to Southern Baptist. Along with a little less overt esotericism, I would like to get a closer look at what appears to be a more conservative jurisdiction.

On another note, has the OO officially accepted Jesus' two natures? This is very important to me.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:02:09 PM »

When we say we believe in one nature, we mean one in a united sense, not in a numerical sense.  We believe Christ is fully divine and fully human, without division or confusion.  We prefer to express that belief with the phrase used by St. Cyril:  "One incarnate nature of God the Word."

http://books.google.com/books?id=jid2euyrdAYC&pg=PA113&lpg=PA113&dq=one+incarnate+nature+of+God+the+Word&source=bl&ots=YXy_beiP7K&sig=2aVGFb6vV1BoRegEFPWjvxwkSFk&hl=en&ei=uICNTOWAAY22sAOZmfykBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CC0Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=one%20incarnate%20nature%20of%20God%20the%20Word&f=false

What I said above is a very basic explanation.  If you click the Chalcedon tag, below, you'll get more threads about this.  Just so you know, debates on the topic go in a private forum.  To get access to the private forum, you need to pm Fr. Chris and ask him for admission.   Smiley

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 10:07:25 PM »

Well, it seems a little like going from Presbyterian (PCUSA) to a PCA church or from American Baptist to Southern Baptist. Along with a little less overt esotericism, I would like to get a closer look at what appears to be a more conservative jurisdiction.

Well, I think going to an Ethiopian church would satisfy your search just as much. From what I can tell, there are 2 if not 3 Ethiopian congregations all significantly closer to the center of Atlanta.

I found the website for one of them: http://www.kmariam.org/

I hope some members of the EOTC could add some information.

On another note, has the OO officially accepted Jesus' two natures? This is very important to me.

It really depends. "Nature" has turned out to be a rather vague term Christologically. If you explain what it means for Christ to have two natures to you, I could answer.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 10:09:32 PM »

Coptic churches will probably be more likely to have English services.  (Of course he can find that out by making phone calls before he goes, or checking the websites.  Smiley )

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 06:53:26 PM »

I went to my first Coptic service this morning. Man what stamina! I definitely plan to return, but 3 HOURS!. I don't know if I can do that perpetually.

BTW I sat in on the adult fellowship meeting for a while. I was pleased to meet a teacher on fire. Unf. some of the 'ethnic' (and St. Mary's is definitely ethnic!) were more focused on their background than their faith. This church was not like that at all thank God.

I am not sure when if I will go back next week, as the parish is very far from my house and I have monster test the following Monday to study for. In fact I think I may look at different Orthodox churches around the city for a while.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 07:43:12 PM »

I don't know that it would always be 3 hours. Fairly often the local Coptic liturgies are rather 2.5 hours.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »

OTOH, they can be significantly longer. The (I think) longest, the Good Friday service, was 9 hours this year at the Coptic church I went to.

Tags: Chalcedon Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: