OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 11:48:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Book for Syriac Orthodox hours  (Read 711 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: September 10, 2010, 12:44:55 AM »

I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Common-Prayer-shhimo-Syrian-Church/dp/1593330332/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284093093&sr=8-1

book, which is supposed to be a translation of the Syriac Orthodox canonical hours. Yet the source of the translation is the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church. As such I'm a little skeptical of it. Does anyone know about this book and can confirm whether it's faithful to the Syriac Orthodox hours?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
surajiype

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 03:34:36 AM »

Fr Griffiths book was created for the use of the Catholic community of Kurushimala Asharam, when they decided to use the Malankara rite in their worship.

Fr Griffiths did approach HH Mathews I Catholicos of the Malankara Orthodox Church for an imprimatur to be granted for the use of this book in Malankara Orthodox worship. If I am not wrong the same was granted.

In English this is the best book available and I guess it is the only one available as well.  I own a copy as well, go for it.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:37:15 PM »

Fr Griffiths book was created for the use of the Catholic community of Kurushimala Asharam, when they decided to use the Malankara rite in their worship.

Fr Griffiths did approach HH Mathews I Catholicos of the Malankara Orthodox Church for an imprimatur to be granted for the use of this book in Malankara Orthodox worship. If I am not wrong the same was granted.

In English this is the best book available and I guess it is the only one available as well.  I own a copy as well, go for it.

Thank you!  Smiley

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 01:43:57 PM »

You can purchase 'Book of Common Prayers for Ordinary days' and the 'Book of Morning Prayers for Sundays' from:
http://www.moradaistudycenter.org/english_4.html

NULL
surajiype

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:38:18 AM »

The Syriac Archdiocese of NJ has a prayerbook for sale in their bookstore.  May try that also.

http://syrianorthodoxchurch.org/books/books/evening-and-morning-prayers/
Leb Aryo

Faith: Syriac Orthodox

Bar Ebroyo

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:27:06 PM »

This is the one that I have and I can attest to its quality.  It's written mostly in Syriac with Arabic and some English translations. 
http://syrianorthodoxchurch.org/books/books/holy-qurbono-the-divine-liturgy-of-saint-jacob-bar-salibi/
Tags: Syriac Orthodox Oriental Orthodox prayers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: