OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:57:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Made a Catechumen today!  (Read 1731 times) Average Rating: 0
Vzldrb
Elder

« on: September 12, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »

Hi everyone!

"Wooooooooooooooooooooooow!" is the first thing that comes to mind. I just got back from Church, literally, 5 minutes ago. The first thing on my mind? Telling everyone and recounting everything so I don't forget a SINGLE thing. So here I am, going to share it with you all. I'll start from the beginning I guess, in a kind of narrative.... it will switch around as I jog my memory. I personally love reading these kinds of stories and such, so I hope you do too.

Matins, 8 AM. I woke up my mom right at 8, and we'r eout the door.... Halfway there, I tell her that it's not until 9. She's happy, she's going back home. I stand near the back as usual, with only a few people present this early. Everything goes as normal for a Matins service.... Of course, everything is lengethened by the end of the Feast for the Nativity of the Theotokos. Near the end, my Mom arrives.

Divine Liturgy starts up somewhere around 9 AM, and my mom stands and then sits for a long period of time, alternating. Mostly everyone sits, so she didnt feel too bad. I didnt say she had to stand, but she did at "Wisdom! Stand upright..." etc. throughout the service. Everyone takes Communion, and both of us get some of the Blessed Bread. Throughout all of this, my shoulders are tense, and I think I'm getting a stomachache. Saturday night, I borrowed a Service Book and read through the Catechumenate section ofnthe Baptism... I knew it pretty well. I spent plenty of time going over it. The only thing I hadn't done is memorized the Creed.

After the Gospel reading and the sermon, I stay for a little while more. My nerves kind of over take me at this point, so I go ahead to leave and use the bathroom... Should I stay? is this what I really want to do? If it isn't, this is the time for me to leave. All these thoughts go through my head, like an instant. I'm standing in the Narthex, thinking, and waiting. Before I know it, Father Andrew is at the doors of the leading to the main room. He calls me over, and before I know it, I'm standing in front of him.

This is what I want to do.

He blows in my face in the shape of a Cross, and I shake more. I'm very nervous, and I can feel myself shaking... He places his hand on my head, and I shake more... I think I may have even cried a little, but I do my best to hold back from that... The Exorcism goes by quick enough, I'm still shaking like a leaf in the wind. Then he asks the questions and I reply, sincerely and firmly. I do. I have. etc. I face west and spit on Satan, uniting myself to Christ. (A bit of an important detail for me personally as I spent most of my life rejecting Christ, and I even had a few months as a Theistic Satanist.)

Everything that happened is this weird mixture of speed, and a feeling of eternity. Time is moing, I know it is, by the rhythm of the words and the chanting, yet, deep inside, everything is still. I am no longer shaking. The Deacon hands me a paper with the Nicene Creed, and everyone recites it with me.

"I believe in One God, ..."

Now I am not shaking. Everyone is with me. I am not alone, standing in front of the Priest, as the only one there who wants to be Orthodox. Everyone is striving and reaching towards Christ, just like I am. I'm not alone: I have the whole Eastern Orthodox Church supporting me. Not just the Parish, but all of it. We believe in everything the same, and that is what I hope to also do.

Afterwards, I return to my spot, and everything continues like normal... Afterwards, peopel congratulate me. One woman told me it's the first time she's seen someone become a Catechumen, how insopiring it is, how it makes them want to learn more about their Faith.

and most important, most of all, I have this sense of Peace that I still feel now. I am no longer troubled... I'm sure I'll run into hard times, still deal with the same old sins, but for now, I feel like "I am putting on the New Man", converting all of me for the glory and sake of Christ, just like what St. Paul writes today in his Letter to the Galatians.

Forgive any errors or typos i have made, all of this is just running forth from my hands.

Lord, have mercy.

Richard
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 02:11:12 PM »

glory to God!
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 03:04:09 PM »

Wonderful news! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Looking forward to hearing more.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »

Glory to God!   Grin  angel
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 03:22:43 PM »

Awesome! :-)  Congratulations, Richard!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 04:03:54 PM »

Thank you all!

I'm really not sure where to go from here, but I guess a study on the Christian idea of Afterlife and the Nicene Creed could come in handy. I'll send an email to my Priest.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 04:59:27 PM »

Glory to God! We are so happy for you!
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »

Congratulations!  Got a name picked out? Smiley
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 05:46:48 PM »

Congratulations!  Got a name picked out? Smiley
I have an idea, but no, i'm not sure yet Smiley
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 06:26:18 PM »

Doxa en ypsistois theo!

Glory to God in the highest! Congratulations!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 09:08:29 PM »

hooray! many Years to you! 

this is great!  at this point, your already an Orthodox Christian in your heart Grin   

congratulations!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 11:13:29 AM »

Smiley Congratulations !

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 11:46:32 AM »

Awesome, Richard!! Congratulations!! Glory to Him who IS!!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »

Congrats Richard! May God Grant you Many Years!

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 01:35:23 AM »

Добре Вести....

Good News....

Аксијос, Достојан, Да Ти Господе Да Многаја Љета.....

Congratulations ,,Worthy.,,Axios ...Dostojan......Lord Grant You Many Years....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »

Might not be the best place to ask but I've heard this term alot but I have no idea what is. What is a catechumen?
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 10:49:52 PM »

Might not be the best place to ask but I've heard this term alot but I have no idea what is. What is a catechumen?

Sort of "Orthodox in training".  It's like being engaged to Orthodoxy, when you're past that point where you're casually dating (the inquirer) but you're not married yet, either.  Different parishes and jurisdictions have different rules in place for the catechumenate (the period of being a catechumen), and it can vary in length between a few months to several years.  During this period you're expected to show up at the parish for services as opposed to just being a friendly face checking in every now and again, but you still don't partake of the Mysteries.  It ends upon Baptism or Chrismation.

And to Richard: Many years!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:51:11 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 06:37:31 AM »

Thank you for the responce! In which case I give congratulations Cheesy
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 11:20:24 PM »

I did like reading your story Smiley

I really wish my church did more in the way of catechism. I have not been able to experience a person's transition to catechumen. My mother, Chrismated into the Orthodox Church after marriage (originally Methodist), did not take any sort of catechism classes, though it was a sort of rushed situation, and she was already baptized.

Glory to God, and congratulations. I wish you much success on your journey to Christ.

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 09:23:08 AM »

Congrats, may years!

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
ConfusedRC

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Hanoi

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 09:53:02 AM »

Richard, thanks for sharing your journey. It was very inspiring!

What happens now for you? Is there formalized classes or do you study on your own? I'm unfamiliar with the Orthodox catechumenate.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: