OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 09:48:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: donating blood?  (Read 1148 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: September 10, 2010, 06:06:31 PM »

there is a blood drive at school, and I plan on donating.  I'm 16, but my mom filled out papers so I can.  is there anything un-Orthodox about giving blood?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 06:09:59 PM »

there is a blood drive at school, and I plan on donating.  I'm 16, but my mom filled out papers so I can.  is there anything un-Orthodox about giving blood?
No, quite the contrary IMHO.  But don't donate after communion.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »

But don't donate after communion.
Why not?  I'm not being critical; I just truly don't understand.  Why not?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »

I give blood once every 2-3 months, which is as frequently as the Red Cross will allow.  With today's modern medicine, I see my regular donations as a gift of life to those who need my blood, particularly since my O+ blood type makes me a universal donor.  I really can't think of a better way to give of myself to others.  (That, and a regular bloodletting has the added benefit of keeping my iron levels from rising above normal, since chronically high iron levels can lead to certain forms of heart disease.  This is particularly important for us men to compensate for the fact that we don't naturally experience a monthly release of blood.)
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 08:14:25 PM »

But don't donate after communion.
Why not?  I'm not being critical; I just truly don't understand.  Why not?
The idea is that as long as communion is not fully digested, i.e. absorbed into your system, your body is acting as a Chalice, and no part of the body into which the Body and Blood of Christ are coursing into should loose a particle.

Of course, in emergency situations, such things should not prevent one from making a life saving donation.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »

When my uncle was hospitalized after his stroke, the priest came and gave him Communion, as well as Holy Unction.

We were anticipating his recovery....however, he passed away after a few days.

The day he was given Communion he began retaining fluids and had a hard time breathing.  The nurse had to suction the liquid from his stomach.
When I realized what she was doing, I asked her for the liquid that she suctioned.

She gave me this really odd look.  "What?" she said.  I told her that he was given Communion only a few hours ago, and I would like his stomach contents.  She must have been Christian, for she then silently got an empty pill bottle and drained the liquid into it, and gave it to me.
I kept it for a few days, and then buried it with him.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 01:03:51 AM »

No offense, Liza, but I have never heard of anyone doing anything like that, either Catholic or Orthodox.

Don't you think the Eucharist should stay inside the body of the person who received it?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 01:06:56 AM »

Never mind, I misread the post - I thought you had asked the nurse to remove the fluid, not that it had already been removed. Sorry!

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 04:42:49 PM »

I'm glad for this thread. I didn't know these things before. I look forward to donating blood at some time in the future (provided I haven't had Communion). Thanks.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:47:06 PM »

I give blood once every 2-3 months, which is as frequently as the Red Cross will allow.  With today's modern medicine, I see my regular donations as a gift of life to those who need my blood, particularly since my O+ blood type makes me a universal donor.  I really can't think of a better way to give of myself to others.  (That, and a regular bloodletting has the added benefit of keeping my iron levels from rising above normal, since chronically high iron levels can lead to certain forms of heart disease.  This is particularly important for us men to compensate for the fact that we don't naturally experience a monthly release of blood.)
I just have to ask, how does it feel?!  I realize that the needle is larger, as it's not a needle but a cathedar.  does it hurt alot going into your skin?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 10:12:06 PM »

It doesn't hurt anymore than getting lab work done or getting a vaccine.

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 10:20:12 PM »

I just have to ask, how does it feel?!  I realize that the needle is larger, as it's not a needle but a cathedar.  does it hurt alot going into your skin?
LOL. I used to give, or try to, frequently (I can't now because my ex was hepititis chronic).  I can't watch them put the needle in or out, but that is just my quirk, I've felt more from vaccinations.  Frankly, you barely know the needle is in your arm.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 01:41:51 AM »

A good phlebotomist can make the needle stick virtually painless.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 07:59:13 AM »

You'll feel this bizarre sort of pressure, and that is about it.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 08:06:24 AM »

LOL. I used to give, or try to, frequently (I can't now because my ex was hepititis chronic).  I can't watch them put the needle in or out, but that is just my quirk, I've felt more from vaccinations.  Frankly, you barely know the needle is in your arm.
No, it's not just your quirk. I behave in exactly the same way  Cheesy. Also, I can't give either. Red Cross told me they couldn't take it because of the medications I take for my blood pressure. I used to give regularly.

I agree that it's as painless as any vaccination or taking of a blood sample. Sometimes you feel a bit of the prick of the needle, but often not.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 08:20:28 AM »

No, it's not just your quirk. I behave in exactly the same way  Cheesy.
I tense up at the moment of needle entry if I watch, which can make a painless poke painful, so I just look away in the other direction.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: