OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 12:59:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some laws are just ridiculous...  (Read 1127 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: September 09, 2010, 03:43:39 PM »

I've been thinking recently about how ridiculous some minor laws are, at least in the United States. I also have been thinking about how police seem to be more than willing to enforce even the most minor, insignificant laws that probably should even exist in the first place...

My first example would have to be the law stating that your car's inside tire has to be within 1ft of the curb, or you get a ticket. I can understand this being an issue if someone is way out in the street, but should tiny cars be given tickets just because they are more than a foot away from the curb, even though they still barely stick out? (if at all?) Personally this law should be altered to measure to the outside tire, this way, smaller cars can park within a zone without fear of being ticketed, and it is only the larger vehicles that have to get close to the curb.

Another example is the stupidity of "no open containers on public property" that is, of alcohol... Seriously, how stupid is that?
The other day my friends crossed the street to another part of campus and were stopped by two cops just because they had crossed public property with open containers of alcohol... Honestly, that isn't breaking the law, if we were walking around the city with open containers and causing a ruckus, I can understand, but those cops seriously need their underwear checked because I think it was a little too tight.

Also on our campus, while alcohol is allowed, there is no hard alcohol allowed. Yet this isn't enforced unless you have it clearly out in plain sight in front of security. Even then, it isn't followed by anyone, and it just gives the prohibitionists leverage to persecute those that drink.

It gets ridiculous sometimes and I think there ought to be some exceptions added to such laws, otherwise it just gives Police more power to make money for the city instead of protecting the populace as is their job...

Anyone else agree? or am I way off-base here?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:43:53 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 04:12:29 PM »

I remember a few years ago getting a parking ticket because my car was supposedly more than 1 foot from the curb.  I think the parking nazis were trying to come up with any excuse they had to make money.  I paid the fine and moved on.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »

I once got a ticket for driving through a yellow light because the officer said, and I quote, "It could have turned red."

I was too young and dumb at the time to fight the ticket, but I would definitely do so now.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »

Sorry, I don't agree. If every law was tailored to the nth degree to fit every concievable circumstance and exception, they would be virtually unenforceable. Then everyone would be complaining that our laws are "to long and complicated" and "why can't we simplify them?"

Proverbs 22:7
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 02:49:41 PM »

Then everyone would be complaining....
We can make that illegal too.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 07:33:05 PM »

I once got a ticket for making a u-turn in a business district.  I talked my way out of it by pointing out that the only business on the block has been burned to the ground - it was 1992, just after the L.A. riots!

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 07:51:51 PM »

It's just another way to TAX people. These laws border on entrapment. The government merely provide what appears to be a favorable opportunity for the person to commit the offense. 

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 07:59:33 PM »

Maybe you're right . We shouldn't have laws. Here in VA you can get prison time for robbing a bank even if you really really needed the money for a very very good reason., and even if you're basically a really nice person. Sillyness.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »

Just went to a wedding at a popular lake, and apparently you can't have alcohol outside, period, and that is in two counties, and this is in an area where the population swells to about 400-500,000 during the Summer.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 08:32:19 PM »

Just went to a wedding at a popular lake, and apparently you can't have alcohol outside, period, and that is in two counties, and this is in an area where the population swells to about 400-500,000 during the Summer.
They are perhaps trying to prevent trouble from erupting unexpectedly due to overconsumption of alcoholic beverages.
Quid
Freshly converted rubiks cube ninja

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 10:15:31 PM »

I concur. Some laws are just terrible. You can't have an open container of alcohol in your car even if you are not drinking it. If I break the seal on a $40 bottle of wine at a restaurant and don't finish it then its coming home with me. To heck with that law.

Also, funny story. My brother was buying xmas gifts for the family. He got my dad a collectors hunting knife and my mom a set of cutlery knives. State law required he show ID for buying a single hunting knife, but didnt require such to buy a box of 36 knives. Gotta love it. lol
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:16:54 PM by Quid » Logged

"Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words."
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 10:19:39 PM »

I concur. Some laws are just terrible. You can't have an open container of alcohol in your car even if you are not drinking it. If I break the seal on a $40 bottle of wine at a restaurant and don't finish it then its coming home with me. To heck with that law.

Also, funny story. My brother was buying xmas gifts for the family. He got my dad a collectors hunting knife and my mom a set of cutlery knives. State law required he show ID for buying a single hunting knife, but didnt require such to buy a box of 36 knives. Gotta love it. lol

Since it's physically impossible to put a bottle of wine in the trunk of your car.

Quid

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 10:27:34 PM »

Since it's physically impossible to put a bottle of wine in the trunk of your car.

*** Also, best believe I can kill a whole bottle of wine at dinner if it is really good.

***Also, better believe I can drink a whole bottle of wine at dinner. Especially if it is really good.

Im pretty sure it is still illegal. I have heard cases in which people were busted for having empty beer cans in the back of a truck with no alcohol in their body.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:29:20 PM by Quid » Logged

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 10:28:22 PM »

Its all about the money   Wink
Quid

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »

Also, let it be known I can indeed kill a whole bottle of wine at dinner. Especially if it is really good.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 11:30:50 PM »

Laws against victimless 'crimes' are inherently unjust and the mark of a tyrannical state. If you cannot name a direct and immediate victim of an act, it is utterly absurd for it to be illegal.

The problem is that the people are complacent, even more frightening, many are more concerned with security than liberty, which is the hallmark of the decline and death of any free society.

I wish I had a solution, but we are a lesser people as our ancestors, we are not as fully human. We have lost spirit of rebellion that once made this republic the greatest on earth. We are no longer truly Americans.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Quid

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 11:50:56 PM »

Laws against victimless 'crimes' are inherently unjust and the mark of a tyrannical state. If you cannot name a direct and immediate victim of an act, it is utterly absurd for it to be illegal.

The problem is that the people are complacent, even more frightening, many are more concerned with security than liberty, which is the hallmark of the decline and death of any free society.

I wish I had a solution, but we are a lesser people as our ancestors, we are not as fully human. We have lost spirit of rebellion that once made this republic the greatest on earth. We are no longer truly Americans.

I agree so hard.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: