OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:45:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best Language Learning Program(s)  (Read 1453 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:19 AM »

Hello all! 

I am wanting to seriously brush up on my Spanish, but also want to learn several other languages - I had a language program suggested to me at one point, but can't remember for the life of me what it is.  It's supposed to be better than the Rossetta Stone Language program.  If you have used a program to help you learn another language, could you please let me know what you've used and how it's worked for you?

Thanks!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 02:03:06 PM »

May I add classical Greek to this question?  I work during the day, so I am having a difficult time trying to find someone who teaches it in the evening.  I may be forced to find some software.
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »

May I add classical Greek to this question?  I work during the day, so I am having a difficult time trying to find someone who teaches it in the evening.  I may be forced to find some software.

Certainly! 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:15:12 AM »

Hello all! 

I am wanting to seriously brush up on my Spanish, but also want to learn several other languages - I had a language program suggested to me at one point, but can't remember for the life of me what it is.  It's supposed to be better than the Rossetta Stone Language program.  If you have used a program to help you learn another language, could you please let me know what you've used and how it's worked for you?

Thanks!

The serious answer to this question is that you cannot learn a living language to any decent degree without living in a community that speaks it and refusing to speak you own. Under those circumstances, grammars, pronunciation helps, etc. can make a huge difference in one's competence.

Baring that, watch dubbed and subtitled TV programs and movies (especially ones you already know well and enjoy) in the language you wish to learn.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 03:01:12 PM »

Hello all! 

Thanks!

The serious answer to this question is that you cannot learn a living language to any decent degree without living in a community that speaks it and refusing to speak you own. Under those circumstances, grammars, pronunciation helps, etc. can make a huge difference in one's competence.

Baring that, watch dubbed and subtitled TV programs and movies (especially ones you already know well and enjoy) in the language you wish to learn.

I will be learning the languages of my friends. . .they have sooo many!! Smiley 

Great idea!! I will do just that!! Thank you!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:34:26 PM »

Since graduating from DLIFLC I have used chinesepod. 
www.chinesepod.com
The are six lesson categories, newbie, elementary, intermediate, upper intermediate, advanced, and media.  Chinesepod belongs to a family of of language podcast webpages (spanish, italian, french, and russian are offered by the same company I believe).  Personally I think it is a great tool.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: