OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 05:01:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: weekday commemorations  (Read 605 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: September 08, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »

In the Byzantine liturgical tradition, there is an association of each day of the week with a particular commemoration: Sunday/Resurrection, Monday/Angels, Tuesday/John the Baptist, etc. Does this exist in any of the Oriental churches?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:29:25 AM »

In the Byzantine liturgical tradition, there is an association of each day of the week with a particular commemoration: Sunday/Resurrection, Monday/Angels, Tuesday/John the Baptist, etc. Does this exist in any of the Oriental churches?

Yes, the same exists in the Armenian Church. In one of our threads Salpy referred to the English translation of the hymns for 7 days of Creation by St Nerses the Grace-filled. Maybe she has put the texts too in one of the threads. These hymns are sung during the Morning prayer office. On Sunday the hymn dedicated to the Resurrection is sung, on Monday - to the angels, Tuesday- John the Baptist, Wednesday - the Mother of God, Thursday - the Apostles, Friday - the Crucifixion, Saturday - the Martyrs. So, the hymns are dedicated not only to the days of Creation but also to some other mysteries.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:33:20 AM by vasnTearn » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:39:50 PM »

I copied and pasted the text of one of the hymns here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13200.msg457298.html#msg457298

The link to the website I got it from seems to be down right now.   Sad  I hope that is a temporary situation.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »

Yes, the same exists in the Armenian Church. In one of our threads Salpy referred to the English translation of the hymns for 7 days of Creation by St Nerses the Grace-filled. Maybe she has put the texts too in one of the threads. These hymns are sung during the Morning prayer office. On Sunday the hymn dedicated to the Resurrection is sung, on Monday - to the angels, Tuesday- John the Baptist, Wednesday - the Mother of God, Thursday - the Apostles, Friday - the Crucifixion, Saturday - the Martyrs. So, the hymns are dedicated not only to the days of Creation but also to some other mysteries.

Oh cool. That's the exact same arrangement as what I experienced among the Byzantines.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags: Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: