OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 11:38:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Debating the Merits of Our Two Religions  (Read 609 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: September 08, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »

A personal text exchange between a devout Christian and an ardent Hindu

IN THE FALL OF 2009, FRIENDS POOJA PATEL (POOJA.PATEL.MP _@_ GMAIL.COM) AND MCKENNA SMITH, BOTH 13 AND IN 8TH GRADE AT ABELL JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL IN MIDLAND, TEXAS, DISCUSSED ONE EVENING BY TEXT MESSAGING THE MERITS OF THEIR RESPECTIVE RELIGIONS, HINDUISM AND CHRISTIANITY.

Pooja: Hey, I had a question: you know how we were talking about the whole religion thing earlier today and about people who don't believe in Christ going to hell?

Mckenna: Yes.

Pooja: That applies to everyone, right? No exceptions. Like even if you're a really good person, but you haven't accepted Christ?

Mckenna: Yes. Everyone. It doesn't matter how "good" of a person we are. No one deserves salvation, but that is why grace is so awesome. Grace is literally defined as an undeserved gift. We don't deserve God, but He loves us and wants us, regardless.

Pooja: So, do you think Gandhi burned in hell?

Mckenna: I don't know enough about Gandhi to say.

Pooja: Well, isn't his not accepting Christ as his savior enough to know that he couldn't have gone to heaven?

Mckenna: Yes.

Pooja: So even though he brought India to independence, inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world, led nationwide campaigns to ease poverty, expand women's rights, build religious and ethnic amity, end untouchability, and increase economic self reliance, he still burned in hell--but someone who has a child out of wedlock can still make it to heaven just by accepting Christ?

Mckenna: Yes. It could have been that easy for him, too. It's so easy, and it's painless and instantaneous.

Oy. Roll Eyes McKenna is clearly not Orthodox. Shocked

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »

I call urban legend. Everyone knows the National Religion of Texas is High School Football.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:52:47 PM »

I call urban legend. Everyone knows the National Religion of Texas is High School Football.

Good point! Plus, it says this was done through text messaging. Everything seems to be spelled right and they use punctuation. Not bad for some 13 year old kids!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:04:16 PM »

This sort of understanding of redemption really makes me wonder how these sorts of people could explain pre-adolescents being saved.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:06:47 PM »

I personally know of at least one person who converted away from Christianity because of what he had been taught about the cross as a protestant. He understood it as an act of vengeance on an innocent person and not as a rescue mission accomplished by self sacrifice.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 02:31:49 PM »

One reason why I've known for some time that I should live in Texas. Grin  Go Euless Trinity!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:37:01 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: