OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 04:49:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO/EO conversion and baptism  (Read 428 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« on: September 07, 2010, 12:06:11 PM »

Does any of the mainstream EO churches receive OO converts through baptism?

NorthernPines
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:45:16 PM »

It all depends on what you mean by "mainstream". But I'm pretty sure none of the so called "canonicial" churches do. (though I personally that what is and is not canonical is often just arbitrary) Most in fact I believe just accept them through a confession of faith. Though I've heard the Serbian church will sometimes receive a family though chrismation. But at least in the U.S. I think most just receive OO "converts" on a profession of faith. But I don't think there is any official policy on the issue.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:02:31 PM »

It all depends on what you mean by "mainstream".

I meant it as a synonym to "World Orthodox". I'm not interested in Old Calendarist churches' policies since I thought that if they baptize even mainstream EOs they must also baptize OOs. However I wouldn't like to refer my church as wordly so I used "mainstream" instead and for some reason I thought that it's meaning would be self-evident. Apparently it wasn't.

NorthernPines
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 02:39:02 PM »

It all depends on what you mean by "mainstream".

I meant it as a synonym to "World Orthodox". I'm not interested in Old Calendarist churches' policies since I thought that if they baptize even mainstream EOs they must also baptize OOs.

Well not all Old Calendarist Churches baptize other EO (at least not in the U.S.) so that's why the answer, if getting into the nitty gritty, is that "it depends". Smiley

However I wouldn't like to refer my church as wordly so I used "mainstream" instead and for some reason I thought that it's meaning would be self-evident. Apparently it wasn't.

No reason anyone should call our Church "worldly" I wasn't suggesting it should be.

Anyways, the answer I gave still stands. The answer is no, but some jurisdictions will do chrismation, but usually just be profession of faith in all 7 Councils. Of course this is the practice in North America only, I have no idea what other parts of the world are doing. Although others may know more in that regard.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: