OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 01:32:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint Petroc Monastery goes Corporate and Global  (Read 4147 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: September 07, 2010, 02:20:15 AM »

Those with a love for the Western Rite will rejoice in this news from
Hieromonk Michael (Wood) of Tasmania who is using his Saint Petroc
Monastery-Hermitage as a base for missionary work in WR in many
locations around the globe.

http://saintpetrocmissionarysociety.blogspot.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saint-Petroc-Monastery-Missions-Society/124315970944557Hierom.Hierom. Ambrose  o...o~----
Subdeacon Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 03:10:15 AM »

Thank you for sharing this.

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 03:17:25 AM »

One really has to be amazed that an elderly man, with ailing health, is achieving so much in several countries. I do not imagine that Fr Michael's age and health will allow much more strenuous work on several continents but he is planting seeds and others will reap the benefits. Imagine the missionary impact if other monks undertook such work and, unlike Fr Michael, they had the financial backing of the Church to further their work. 
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »

One really has to be amazed that an elderly man, with ailing health, is achieving so much in several countries. I do not imagine that Fr Michael's age and health will allow much more strenuous work on several continents but he is planting seeds and others will reap the benefits. Imagine the missionary impact if other monks undertook such work and, unlike Fr Michael, they had the financial backing of the Church to further their work. 

This is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing it with us, Father! What Western Rite(s) do(es) the parishes use?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 05:45:14 PM »

I imagine the Shorter St. Colman Prayer Book (SSCPB) or the St. Colman Prayer Book (SCPB) a publication of the St. Petroc Paruchia of the WR of ROCOR.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »

This is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing it with us, Father! What Western Rite(s) do(es) the parishes use?

Aristibule Adams, who is the representative of the paruchia and supplier of the Saint Colman Prayer book in the United States writes:

"To be clear: the Saint Petroc usage (the Saint Colman Prayer Book) includes three forms of liturgy: a Sarum use (not the full cathedral Sarum rite but a Sarum use for missions), an English liturgy (primarily Sarum with a handful of items from the Non-Juror liturgy, Gothic, York.. or following the wording of the 1549 BCP in a few instances), and the Gregorian rite (which is the Christminster/Mount Royal liturgy.) The offices are Sarum based upon the Clewer translation. There is also a recension of the Lorrha-Stowe Missal which is to be included in the supplementary book (though I do not know if/when it will be approved to serve..."

http://theyorkforum.yuku.com/sreply/12977/t/Western-Rite-Orthodox-News.html

This was written in 2008.
FrMichael

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »

For once and for all - the poison that "Irish Hermit" spreads about me.  I am not "ailing"  I am not all that elderly I am in excellent health and I am extremely active.  We are not "corporate"  We are just a semi-eremitic monastery with several Hieromonks doing their missionary work as given us by our Metropolitan, assisted by some monks and nuns.   Nothing special.  Yes we have set up a big new website so that our communities around the world can contribute and feel part of a greater Church.  Bishop Jerome and Metropolitan Hilarion have helped us greatly and continue to do so.  The Metropolitan has named Bishop Jerome as his Assistant for Western Rite generally, and he and I correspond almost daily.  The Metropolitan named me officially as his Assistant for the British Isles, and that is where I am.
FrMichael

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 01:36:19 PM »

By the way - our website is http://orthodoxwesternrite.wordpress.com.

Fr. Michael
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 02:21:19 PM »

Irish Hermit and Fr.Michael: you are two Hieromonks under the same diocesan Bishop. Why can't you try to solve your personal conflicts on eg. Diocesan Assembly instead of teasing on each other on the world's most popular Orthodox webforum? Don't you understand what impression do your public quarrels make to others?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:22:01 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FrMichael

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 02:42:39 PM »

I very, very very rarely post on any lists anywhere, but I am really sick of this man slyly slipping in his comments - so I said what I said.  This can hardly be seen as an ongoing fight - I am just tired of his comments which very largely go unanswered.  And yes I have tried to deal with it off line - to no effect whatsoever.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »

Frankly I (and I suppose most of us) am not interested in the reasons. Just please stop your childish quarrels here.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:44:26 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FrMichael

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 03:04:26 PM »

One thing that will gladden the heart of our "Irish Hermit"  is that I can assure him that the moment we get a glimmering of an Irish mission .... I will hasten to ask for permission to use the Liturgy of Saint John the Divine there.

Fr. Michael
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »

Fr. Michael
A truly magnificent website Father.

It would be great to see some higher resolution photos, especially of your clergy such as the new one in Singapore, and perhaps photos from your US dependencies.  The "Archbishop Hilarion, Metropolitan of ROCOR" would look and read much better with a higher resolution photograph with Vladyka vested and crowned and perhaps entitled: "Metropolitan Hilarion of Eastern America and New York, First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia".  Additionally may I suggest a photo of HH Patriarch Kirill would be a welcome addition to your front page. It is a very informative site which I imagine will replace the many Petrochian sites that you currently operate with?

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 05:22:17 PM »

Frankly I (and I suppose most of us) am not interested in the reasons. Just please stop your childish quarrels here.

Seriously. I am astonished to see that a member of the clergy would address another in this fashion.
Margaret S.

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »

Fr. Michael
A truly magnificent website Father.

It would be great to see some higher resolution photos....

Hello David, yes, great idea. We are currently working on getting better photographs. Unfortunately for the sake of getting the website operational we had to work with photos that had already been edited for emailing and saving bandwidth elsewhere, etc. However better ones are in the pipeline. They may not come along quickly, people have other things to do and not everyone has a good camera but it is something we are aware of and working on.

Thank you for the kind words  Smiley

Regards,
Margaret
in Edinburgh
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 05:41:49 PM »

Dear Father Michael,

We have had our differences but I still wish to congratulate you on your elevation to the rank of Abbot.   I see that you mention it, in a very humble fashion, on your new website at

http://orthodoxwesternrite.wordpress.com/hermitage-of-saint-george-america/

Ad Multos Annos novo abbati!
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 06:19:40 PM »

Many years! I'd love to visit in some of these European missions some day. May they be fruitful and multiply. And spread to Finland someday.  Cool

FrMichael

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 06:23:05 PM »

Why don't you start one in Finland?  Smiley
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »

Why don't you start one in Finland?  Smiley

No way, Father! Cheesy Do not lead me into temptation. I'm way to shy to do something like that. And I'm not even a reader, I can't sing nor read and I converted only about a year ago. And frankly I belive I'm one of the few Finns who has even heard about Western Rite Orthodoxy so if I asked my bishop a permission for that he'd probably ask me something like "Western rite Orthodoxy? What's that?"

I'd like to pray in WR fashion on my own, though. And if someone more competent started celebrating, say, WR reader's services or masses or something I'd definately attend. Too bad that there aren't any WRO prayers or services in Finnish. Maybe I should make an effort to order some WR prayerbook from abroad despire the potentially horrible postages...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:01:24 PM by Alpo » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 07:52:20 PM »

Why don't you start one in Finland?  Smiley

No way, Father! Cheesy Do not lead me into temptation. I'm way to shy to do something like that. And I'm not even a reader, I can't sing nor read and I converted only about a year ago. And frankly I belive I'm one of the few Finns who has even heard about Western Rite Orthodoxy so if I asked my bishop a permission for that he'd probably ask me something like "Western rite Orthodoxy? What's that?"

I'd like to pray in WR fashion on my own, though. And if someone more competent started celebrating, say, WR reader's services or masses or something I'd definately attend. Too bad that there aren't any WRO prayers or services in Finnish. Maybe I should make an effort to order some WR prayerbook from abroad despire the potentially horrible postages...
Perhaps after the missed oportunity of the Nordic Catholic Church, the Orthodox in Scandinavia might know more of the WRO.
Out on a Limb in Norway by William J. Tighe (Touchstone July/August, 2002)
http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=15-06-054-i

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »

Seriously. I am astonished to see that a member of the clergy would address another in this fashion.

Have you read the Church Fathers? And some homilies. Roads. Hell. Skulls. Bishops. or the like.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »

I very, very very rarely post on any lists anywhere, but I am really sick of this man slyly slipping in his comments - so I said what I said.  This can hardly be seen as an ongoing fight - I am just tired of his comments which very largely go unanswered.  And yes I have tried to deal with it off line - to no effect whatsoever.

Dear Abbot Michael,   

I have had nothing off line.  If you still have the messages would you be so kind as to send them.  Many thanks.
Margaret S.

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 03:55:27 AM »

Dear Fr Ambrose,

Your blessing.

I know you know what a busy and rather complicated life Fr Michael has and it might not be possible to track down old emails but we will see what we can do for you. Or, of course, we could just let go of it as has been suggested above.

In Christ,
Margaret
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:56:34 AM by Margaret S. » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 09:53:04 PM »

Hi. Today I decided to re-read "Out on a Limb in Norway" ... short story short, via-Google I came across this post:

Perhaps after the missed oportunity of the Nordic Catholic Church, the Orthodox in Scandinavia might know more of the WRO.

I realize you said that a while ago (the fact that the post is followed by one from Fr. Ambrose says something about its age Sad) but I'm curious to hear more of what you were thinking.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 05:07:40 PM »

Hi. Today I decided to re-read "Out on a Limb in Norway" ... short story short, via-Google I came across this post:

I realize you said that a while ago (the fact that the post is followed by one from Fr. Ambrose says something about its age Sad) but I'm curious to hear more of what you were thinking.
Had they been received as WRO, they would be Orthodox today.  That was their preference.  The Phanar's bishop, however, doesn't want Scandinavians to get the idea that Orthodoxy is for Scandinavians (I'm almost quoting verbatim here).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 08:06:56 AM »

Had they been received as WRO, they would be Orthodox today.  That was their preference. 

Well I guess that's possible, although it wasn't at all the impression I got from the article.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »

Had they been received as WRO, they would be Orthodox today.  That was their preference. 

Well I guess that's possible, although it wasn't at all the impression I got from the article.
I have insider information that perhaps doesn't come out as starkly in the article without it.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 09:44:11 AM »

I have insider information that perhaps doesn't come out as starkly in the article without it.

Well, I'll take your word for that.

On a side note, I've speculated before that the Norway situation could have been a potential "Lutheran Ordinariate" situation. (I mean, if the "Ordinariate" idea had been more developed back then. In fact, there's a comment in the interview that "The Roman Catholic Church never gave any indication of an option other than individual conversions.")

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »

Well, I'll take your word for that.

On a side note, I've speculated before that the Norway situation could have been a potential "Lutheran Ordinariate" situation. (I mean, if the "Ordinariate" idea had been more developed back then. In fact, there's a comment in the interview that "The Roman Catholic Church never gave any indication of an option other than individual conversions.")
Yes, I think so, perhaps.  Norway is perhaps the sole example of "Cuius religio, eius religio" turning a country Protestant.  Not only did the Reformation have little if any popular support there, but Norway exported troops for the Counter Reformation-a Jesuit mission showed up in Sweden under the auspices of Zygmunt Wasa's father, in his ill conceived Sueco-Catholic movement.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »

Norway is perhaps the sole example of "Cuius religio, eius religio" turning a country Protestant. 

Ah, the old Whose religion, his religion.  Cool

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »

Is this group part of the ROCOR Western-Rite that has come under criticism lately.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 04:56:18 AM »

Is this group part of the ROCOR Western-Rite that has come under criticism lately.

No. It's now part of some true hyperdoxy.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: