OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 07:58:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Does foreign language usage in (US) children's TV programming make a positive impact?
Yes, definitely. - 1 (20%)
Maybe. - 3 (60%)
Probably not. - 1 (20%)
No, definitely not. - 0 (0%)
Huh? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Children's Programming and Foreign Languages  (Read 546 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: September 25, 2010, 05:05:43 PM »

Some American TV programs that are aimed towards children seem to make an attempt to use foreign languages (e.g. Dora the Explorer using Spanish). Do you think that there is any positive impact from this? As for myself, I'm not against the idea in priciple, I just wonder how much it actually will mean over the long term. Are kids really going to learn more than 6-12 words from such programming, and of what benefit will that ultimately be?

At my 5 year old daughter's birthday in June, we were hanging balloons outside the house before her party, and she kept using the spanish word for "up," while expressing her hope/desire for the balloons to float. It was cute, but was it significant? If my daughter would learn spanish in some depth that'd be great, but will learning a handful of words from a cartoon be helpful? Maybe it will be, but I'm not sure how...?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 05:06:10 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

St. Basil is great!

Wonder if he drank goat's milk . . .
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 05:20:54 PM »

Some American TV programs that are aimed towards children seem to make an attempt to use foreign languages (e.g. Dora the Explorer using Spanish). Do you think that there is any positive impact from this? As for myself, I'm not against the idea in priciple, I just wonder how much it actually will mean over the long term. Are kids really going to learn more than 6-12 words from such programming, and of what benefit will that ultimately be?

At my 5 year old daughter's birthday in June, we were hanging balloons outside the house before her party, and she kept using the spanish word for "up," while expressing her hope/desire for the balloons to float. It was cute, but was it significant? If my daughter would learn spanish in some depth that'd be great, but will learning a handful of words from a cartoon be helpful? Maybe it will be, but I'm not sure how...?

It's not likely to be very helpful unless followed up in the home. But at the same time, it won't do any harm for her to be exposed to the language. These shows would probably be more useful if they were truly bilingual, half English, half another language, rather than a spattering of words here and there.

I honestly believe that children should be exposed to two distinct languages from the time they're able to speak. And by distinct, I mean from different language groups, such as someone from an English speaking home being exposed to English and Chinese or Japanese, not another indo-european language such as spanish or french...it's simply the responsible thing to do.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 07:06:57 PM »

Even if a young child does not develop any sort of fluency in a language this way (and they won't), it does help create a positive attitude towards learning a second (or more) language in the future. I taught French as a Second Language for many years in the public school system. I always tried to point out that learning a language is 90% attitude, 10% ability. Encourage appreciation of other cultures without, of course, denying yours in any way.
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 12:42:59 AM »

Ni Hao Kai Lan!

Personally I don't see them helping out much other than teaching the most basic of things to children.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: